Brad Penny touching 94, leading candidate for 5th starter

southsider2k5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
I feel like if Brad Penny factors into the White Sox season in any way, then something went horribly wrong.

I totally agree. His ERA since 2007 is 5.30. He has given up 11 hits in 7.2 innings this spring. There is nothing there to suggest this is a major league pitcher.

They say he is working on a cutter this spring. Just google what a guy I am not supposed to mention was all excited about last year.

I'm out and out scared of a bottom of a rotation that has Danks, Noesi and Penny. I keep hearing the bad guys on the Northside are going to release Edwin Jackson and eat his money. I'm wondering if the White Sox would pick up Jackson. Jackson was a decent pitcher when he was with the White Sox. As long as he doesn't cost the White Sox anything. I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by the White Sox.

Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 08:43 AM)
I'm out and scared of a bottom of a rotation that has Danks, Noesi and Penny. I keep hearing the bad guys on the Northside are going to release Edwin Jackson and eat his money. I'm wondering if the White Sox would pick up Jackson. Jackson was a decent pitcher when he was with the White Sox. As long as he doesn't cost the White Sox anything. I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by the White Sox.

No.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
I hope J4L shows up in this thread and says how awful Penny will be. Then we'll have Phillip Humber part II!

Keep in mind Brad Penny hasn't been good since Gordon Beckham was in college, and will be 37 years old in a couple of months.

If he starts games for the White Sox, chances are they will lose and the bullpen will get a workout.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
Keep in mind Brad Penny hasn't been good since Gordon Beckham was in college, and will be 37 years old in a couple of months.

If he starts games for the White Sox, chances are they will lose and the bullpen will get a workout.

Yea I looked at his b-ref page. This guy hasn't been good in like 5 years. In fact, he hasn't even been "useful bad" in like 5 years.

Typical spring fluff, nothing more, nothing less. I'd rather have Noesi.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 08:43 AM)
Jackson was a decent pitcher when he was with the White Sox. As long as he doesn't cost the White Sox anything. I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by the White Sox.

Absolutely not.

He was far worse than either {edit} Noesi or Danks last year.

Penny was a decent pitcher with the Dodgers and Marlins, too.

Edited by GreenSox

Danks rebounded in August/September and Cooper had nothing but praise for him if I remember correctly. . I am only concered about a further injury or aggravation of the arm issue he had. I think he remains #4 in the rotation, if healthy. Noesi seemed to have earned the #5 spot and Cooper was working further with him. Now if that doesn't pan out I would assume Penny is up there as a choice but where does that leave Rodon? AAA where maybe he should be or does he take someone's rotation spot. I personally think Rodon needs more minor league seasoning and when brought up he is there to stay as a starter

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
Danks rebounded in August/September and Cooper had nothing but praise for him if I remember correctly. . I am only concered about a further injury or aggravation of the arm issue he had. I think he remains #4 in the rotation, if healthy. Noesi seemed to have earned the #5 spot and Cooper was working further with him. Now if that doesn't pan out I would assume Penny is up there as a choice but where does that leave Rodon? AAA where maybe he should be or does he take someone's rotation spot. I personally think Rodon needs more minor league seasoning and when brought up he is there to stay as a starter

Wouldn't it be feasible to carry Penny in the pen as a long relief?

Penny is the "clubhouse leader", though, for a start or 2 in the 5th spot, til Sale returns, is he not?

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that it won't be ugly. I don't see Carroll, Johnson, Beck or anyone else on the radar getting it, so I guess we're going to find out. Been a long while since BP was any good at all. Maybe Carroll has a chance, but that's not too exciting either. Who knows if RH won't still be bargain shopping for a waived stopgap or 2 to improve the depth?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Penny is the "clubhouse leader", though, for a start or 2 in the 5th spot, til Sale returns, is he not?

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that it won't be ugly. I don't see Carroll, Johnson, Beck or anyone else on the radar getting it, so I guess we're going to find out. Been a long while since BP was any good at all. Maybe Carroll has a chance, but that's not too exciting either. Who knows if RH won't still be bargain shopping for a waived stopgap or 2 to improve the depth?

On April 1, the Sox either need to add him to the roster, cut him, or give him a $100,000 bonus to report to the minor leagues. I think he will be cut.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
On April 1, the Sox either need to add him to the roster, cut him, or give him a $100,000 bonus to report to the minor leagues. I think he will be cut.

If he doesn't have the option to opt out, $100,000 is nothing to keep a lottery ticket around.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)

Humber was never good.