4/12 Games

flavum

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
Thad Lowry went 6 with 3H, BB and 4Ks. A nice start to the season for a guy with some potential.

Only 20. Hopefully another good prospect.

Montas 6 ks in 3.1 ip.

Edited by flavum

Brad Salgado with an old-school 3 innings save for Kanny too, I wonder what the Sox long-term plan with him is. Grooming him for the bullpen is the obvious choice, but I wonder if he's shown them enough flashes and potential to convince them to give him a shot as a starter. He doesn't have a lot of mileage on his arm being a converted position player and his results so far have been pretty impressive, seems to have a good command of the strike zone.

Now ya know its a crazy day when the Charlotte Knights hitters combined to strike out 18 times and Matt Davidson is the only player in the lineup to NOT strike out. Nobody would have figured that. Beltre, however, made up for it by striking out five times himself.

Good to see Frankie get off to a good start.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
If the White Sox FO made a top prospect list Keon Barnum would rank a lot higher on their's than he would on FutureSox's. Hopefully he keeps it up.

It was a great pick in 2012 at the time, but he's hasnt met the expectations that hes been faced with but i donhope that he become something for the system

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
Is there a reason Ynoa left after one pitch?

Injury, no word as to nature of injury yet.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 07:02 PM)
Final line for Montas:

5.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 SO.

Excellent start to his season.

Hit 100 with the fastball. His change-up was 90, lol.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Injury, no word as to nature of injury yet.

Hit 100 with the fastball. His change-up was 90, lol.

with the speed of the change-up, will it really fool the hitter??

his change-up is as fast as some pitchers fastball. lol

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)

Velocity-wise, the effectiveness of a change-up is about differential between it and the fastball. 10 mph is a good number for that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)

Yes, he continues to throw 98-100, a change up between 88-90 would definitely throw off hitters.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Velocity-wise, the effectiveness of a change-up is about differential between it and the fastball. 10 mph is a good number for that.

really??? i didn't know that. i know the 10 mph difference, but i thought it was meant for the pitch to be in the high 70's - 80's mph,.,

i was just wondering, me and my thinking again. :o

thanks

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
I think Strasburg has (or at least had around the time of his debut) a 90mph change to go along with a high-90s fastball, too.

haha...

again, i never realize, with the speed of the change-up being that fast, that it would really matter. again, there is many things in pro ball that i am not knowledgeable on.

thank for the insight.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
really??? i didn't know that. i know the 10 mph difference, but i thought it was meant for the pitch to be in the high 70's - 80's mph,.,

i was just wondering, me and my thinking again. :o

thanks

If you know that the difference between most fastballs and change-ups is roughly 10 MPH, then why would you think Montas' change-up would be in the high 70s/low 80s if his fastball is sitting high 90s and touching 100? Sorry if that comes across as dickish, that's not my intention, I'm just wondering.

I never played any level of organized baseball (not even Little League :lol:), but I'd have to think the speed differential from a 100 MPH fastball and a 90 MPH change-up would be pretty drastic for a batter despite both pitches being considered "fast."

A change-up isn't necessarily a "slow" pitch. From my understanding, it's meant to deceive the batter into believing it's a fastball when it's not, which will hopefully lead him to swing earlier than he should have. Given the ~10 MPH difference in speed, most change-ups are in the low 80s because most pitchers fastballs sit in the low 90s.

I suppose if a pitcher were able to throw a fastball at 110 MPH, a change-up at 100 MPH (both pitches considered fast by anyone's standards) would still be effective, seeing as how it's all about the speed differential between the two pitches.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
If you know that the difference between most fastballs and change-ups is roughly 10 MPH, then why would you think Montas' change-up would be in the high 70s/low 80s if his fastball is sitting high 90s and touching 100? Sorry if that comes across as dickish, that's not my intention, I'm just wondering.

I never played any level of organized baseball (not even Little League :lol:), but I'd have to think the speed differential from a 100 MPH fastball and a 90 MPH change-up would be pretty drastic for a batter despite both pitches being considered "fast."

A change-up isn't necessarily a "slow" pitch. From my understanding, it's meant to deceive the batter into believing it's a fastball when it's not, which will hopefully lead him to swing earlier than he should have. Given the ~10 MPH difference in speed, most change-ups are in the low 80s because most pitchers fastballs sit in the low 90s.

I suppose if a pitcher were able to throw a fastball at 110 MPH, a change-up at 100 MPH (both pitches considered fast by anyone's standards) would still be effective, seeing as how it's all about the speed differential between the two pitches.

nah you are right and maybe i did not write it up the right way. there is hardly any starters that is constantly in the high 90's so their change up is 10 mph less or there about.

now with hitters, if they are constantly seeing fast balls in the mid to low 90's, the change up will not offer that much of a surprise, b/c of the speed of the change.

that is me being a fan with limited to no experience in ball. Montas change up 90, a normal person pitching, fastball 90. same speed.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Brad Salgado with an old-school 3 innings save for Kanny too, I wonder what the Sox long-term plan with him is. Grooming him for the bullpen is the obvious choice, but I wonder if he's shown them enough flashes and potential to convince them to give him a shot as a starter. He doesn't have a lot of mileage on his arm being a converted position player and his results so far have been pretty impressive, seems to have a good command of the strike zone.

Bruce Blixton, thanks for the kind words about Brad. (my son) I wouldn't normally have responded, but I wanted to build on your comment about "not having a lot of mileage on his arm". I know we are very early into the season, but since he was converted into a pitcher, we have always emphasized about being efficient, as it relates to the pitch count. Strikeouts are fine, but over-rated. (even Greg Maddux would say so) The main goal is to pitch to contact & get the ball in play within 4 pitches. There's 8 other defenders to help make outs & it saves the arm. Having been a former shortstop, he knows what it's like to have pitchers throwing 5, 6 or 7+ pitches to every batter & he doesn't want to be that guy.

Last year was his 1st full year as a pitcher & his pitches/inning were a pretty good 15.8 with a 63.2% strike rate. We set goals before spring training of getting the P/Inn to 14 or less & strike % rate to 70%. As I said, it is still early, but the P/Inn is currently at 11 & the strike % is at 67.3%. He's got 5 total innings in 2 games with only 55 pitches. I think the thing I'm most proud of is getting the ball in play in 4 pitches or less. So far he has faced 19 hitters & balls in play in less than 4 pitches is 14! (73.7%) (10 of those batters were 2 pitches or less) That saves the arm & keeps the fielders on their toes & into the game, cause the ball will be put in play. There are so many numbers as it relates to Sabermetrics these days, and admittedly, I sure don't understand them all. I try to stick with the few basics:

First-pitch strikes - 11-19 (58%) - needs to improve a little there. Granted, it's only a 2 pitch difference, but the goal is 67% (13-19 would be 68%, but it's still a goal)

Strike % on a 1-1 count - 4-5 (80%) - very happy with that - a strike thrown on a 1-1 count favors the pitcher by a difference of roughly .200 points in batting avg. than if you throw a 1-1 pitch for a ball

Getting the first batter of the inning out - 5-5 (100%) - very happy with that

Pitches per batter - (2.9) - very happy with that.

So far, so good. Just need to keep focused & working hard.