NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

The only reason he's around doesn't have anything to do with 2017 imo. Can't let uncommitted players hold your program hostage.

It's no coincidence he was given his vote of confidence the same day Lovie Smith was hired. If football wasn't going to be fixed, it would be basketball getting fixed. Doubt there's enough money to go around now, thanks to general apathy towards the bball program.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
There's no way he should be around now.

Absolutely embarrassing he still has a job. The fact Black is likely not getting kicked off the team tells me all I need to know about how desperate Groce is.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
The only reason he's around doesn't have anything to do with 2017 imo. Can't let uncommitted players hold your program hostage.

It's no coincidence he was given his vote of confidence the same day Lovie Smith was hired. If football wasn't going to be fixed, it would be basketball getting fixed. Doubt there's enough money to go around now, thanks to general apathy towards the bball program.

Yep, I think this really comes down to a few things. First is that Whitman was able to hit a home run for the football hire which is where he has stronger connections and trying to make two big hires in your first two weeks on the job would be a huge pain in the ass especially when they just invested huge on the football side. Add in the fact that if Groce does land a good 2017 class you aren't setting the program back any further by keeping him another year even if the team isn't good next year (and with Groce coaching I'm guessing they won't be) and I think that is why Whitman is punting on this for now.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
So Wichita St. is the team I'm most curious to see whether they get in the tourney. Their resume is garbage but that is a legitimately really good basketball team which would be a terrifying 11 or 12 seed.

Got the Utah win and that's about it. Kenpom loves them too and supposedly the committee does look at that stuff now. I'm with you, I'm intrigued to see what happens with them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
So Wichita St. is the team I'm most curious to see whether they get in the tourney. Their resume is garbage but that is a legitimately really good basketball team which would be a terrifying 11 or 12 seed.

Their losses without VanVleet will get excused

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 13, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Their losses without VanVleet will get excused

It wasn't just Van Vleet for the early season losses but they lost some games in conference they shouldn't have either. Like I said earlier, Kenpom loves them, rpi doesn't and as was mentioned before no one is going to want to play them. They're a super interesting case.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Their resume with VanVleet is still crap. They are a really good team that has a s*** resume even with VanVleet missing some games.

Off the top of my head they're basically 1-1 against sure fire at large teams with him, beat Utah and lost to SH. They lost to Tulsa with him playing most of the game and those other early season losses came with out him, Frankamp and Grady for one or two of them. Then they won the valley but also have the Ill State and two UNI losses with him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
Off the top of my head they're basically 1-1 against sure fire at large teams with him, beat Utah and lost to SH. They lost to Tulsa with him playing most of the game and those other early season losses came with out him, Frankamp and Grady for one or two of them. Then they won the valley but also have the Ill State and two UNI losses with him.

I hope they get in because they are definitely better than every other bubble team I just don't think the committee will put them in unfortunately because their resume is so weak.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
I hope they get in because they are definitely better than every other bubble team I just don't think the committee will put them in unfortunately because their resume is so weak.

I'm obviously 100 percent biased towards the Valley so I want them in too but I'm not going to lose it if they don't get in. I do think it's interesting to see how serious the committee is about using Kenpom and the Sagarin ratings considering they grade out super well in both of those.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 13, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
Wow this committee has no f***ing clue? Both Virginia and Oregon over MSU?

Dumb but as long as MSU isn't in Kansas' region, I'll pick the to get to Final Four