NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:09 AM)
I read on the Scout site the entire B1G went 2010-2014 with 6 total arrests. Illinois has 4 in 1 year.

Oh and Werner seemed to stop just short of saying Tilmon isn't coming here.

What changed, thought he was a lock?

Apparently Nunn was just in court on Tuesday and was sentenced to 12 months probation and 100 hours of community service for driving on a suspended license. So if this is a legit charge he'll get hit with a decent sentence. Goodbye Nunn and goodbye chances of a tournament bid next year.

Sucks for Groce. Not his fault his players are dumbasses, But in addition to his s*** job coaching, he's responsible when 1/3rd of his roster gets arrested. Good riddance. Hopefully Whitman moves quickly. Throw cash at Bryce Drew please.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
Apparently Nunn was just in court on Tuesday and was sentenced to 12 months probation and 100 hours of community service for driving on a suspended license. So if this is a legit charge he'll get hit with a decent sentence. Goodbye Nunn and goodbye chances of a tournament bid next year.

Sucks for Groce. Not his fault his players are dumbasses, But in addition to his s*** job coaching, he's responsible when 1/3rd of his roster gets arrested. Good riddance. Hopefully Whitman moves quickly. Throw cash at Bryce Drew please.

Yep. There's a clear lack of leadership in the program at the moment. Unfortunate because the Lovie bounce (positive press for the athletic department) could have provided some goodwill to the basketball program, but that's... that's not happening now.

I can condone second chances for non-violent offenses. I can't condone second chances for Tate or Nunn if the allegations against them are true. I'm fully on board that it's time for a fresh start.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Yep. There's a clear lack of leadership in the program at the moment. Unfortunate because the Lovie bounce (positive press for the athletic department) could have provided some goodwill to the basketball program, but that's... that's not happening now.

I can condone second chances for non-violent offenses. I can't condone second chances for Tate or Nunn if the allegations against them are true. I'm fully on board that it's time for a fresh start.

5% of me wants to reserve judgment here. We blasted Tate but that seems, at least according to his lawyers with some supposed documentary evidence, that his case was all BS and made up. Who knows if Nunn's in the same situation. Still though, the fact that these guys get anywhere near a situation like that is what's troubling.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
5% of me wants to reserve judgment here. We blasted Tate but that seems, at least according to his lawyers with some supposed documentary evidence, that his case was all BS and made up. Who knows if Nunn's in the same situation. Still though, the fact that these guys get anywhere near a situation like that is what's troubling.

The problem I have with "reserving judgement" is sure, we can reserve judgement on each individual player, but that's 4 arrests, and there's a slim likelihood they're all unwarranted. Odds are, at least two of those arrests are legitimate. For that reason, I do not have a problem with condemning Groce.

This, by the way, coming from a guy who supported Groce all season.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
No way this train wreck is going to out recruit UNC.

When I saw the crowd of teams that was at LaLumiere to recruit him, I was pretty surprised to hear that he was considered a favorite to Illinois. Unless he has a buddy he wants to play with, he has some big time offers coming in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
When I saw the crowd of teams that was at LaLumiere to recruit him, I was pretty surprised to hear that he was considered a favorite to Illinois. Unless he has a buddy he wants to play with, he has some big time offers coming in.

He does. Illinois already has a commit that he's tight with.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
He does. Illinois already has a commit that he's tight with.

He had been on campus a few times over the past month and most expected him to commit in the next month or so. Oh well, at this point I just want Groce gone.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
He had been on campus a few times over the past month and most expected him to commit in the next month or so. Oh well, at this point I just want Groce gone.

His mom is delaying the process for his son and wants to draw it out now. Don't know if that's coincidence or not that we have 2 domestic violence arrests at this same time.

Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt for TCU. I get that it's his alma mater, but that's quite a step down.

Pitt alum Sean Miller not interested in leaving Arizona.

Who does Pitt go after? Archie Miller, Bryce Drew, King Rice, Gregg Marshal. Someone else?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt for TCU. I get that it's his alma mater, but that's quite a step down.

Who does Pitt go after? Archie Miller, Bryce Drew, King Rice, Gregg Marshal. Someone else?

Ben Howland return?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)

On the surface it appears like a step down but I'm not so sure. The Pitt fanbase expects a lot when you will never really compete with the top dogs in the ACC. TCU has new money and facilities and you can finish in the middle of the conference without too many complaints.

Pitt was a better job in the Big East IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
On the surface it appears like a step down but I'm not so sure. The Pitt fanbase expects a lot when you will never really compete with the top dogs in the ACC. TCU has new money and facilities and you can finish in the middle of the conference without too many complaints.

Pitt was a better job in the Big East IMO.

Taking TCU to the middle of the Big 12 ain't exactly easy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
It's easier than taking Pitt to the top of the ACC.

You're still trying to recruit to a school that's no better than number six or seven in its state, not even the best option in the metroplex. I think turning TCU into a middle of the pack Big 12 team is remarkably difficult.