Surkamp to LA Dodgers

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
Blake Smith was on same AFL roster in 2014 as the Sox guys.

The dude didn't get a hit in all of 2014. That's gotta be some sort of record or something.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
3 plate appearances is a pretty small sample size.

He's a pitcher.

Ha - duh. I was looking at the games column as if it was the ab column. No wonder it was confusing. Can I have the daily idiot award please?

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 22, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
Ha - duh. I was looking at the games column as if it was the ab column. No wonder it was confusing. Can I have the daily idiot award please?

No idiot award for you because you did not know this...

"Smith, also 27, had been working at Double-A for the L.A. organization. Only recently converted from an outfielder to a reliever, Smith has racked up 16 2/3 innings of 1.62 ERA ball with 8.6 K/9 against 4.9 BB/9 this year in Tulsa."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago-white-sox

:D

Stupid trade. Surkamp had really nice AAA numbers that indicated he had an outside shot of being a 5th starter (I'm aware of and largely disagree with the 4A phenomenon), and he had the floor of being a vaguely acceptable bullpen mop-up guy. We get a guy who probably has that as his ceiling.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 25, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
I was definitely one of Surkamp's bigger fans but I think it's silly to make any judgement on the return. Unless you saw something I didn't there's next to no information on Smith as a pitcher. Surkamp's ceiling was very limited, who knows what Smith's is.

Okay, fair enough, probably just frustrated with the org in general right now and already felt they were wasting Surkamp as it was. But still, this guy actually has very consistent numbers from 2013 to 2015 (and even going back to his pitching in college), strikes out an okay amount and walks too many. Prepared to be wrong but I'd take what I think Surkamp is over what I think he probably is any day. The Dodgers are a smart org.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 25, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
I was definitely one of Surkamp's bigger fans but I think it's silly to make any judgement on the return. Unless you saw something I didn't there's next to no information on Smith as a pitcher. Surkamp's ceiling was very limited, who knows what Smith's is.

At best Smith's a bullpen pitcher. Most likely an org guy.

Sox have Noesi, Carrol, and Danks taking up space. Should try some of these AAA guys.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 25, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
At best Smith's a bullpen pitcher. Most likely an org guy.

Sox have Noesi, Carrol, and Danks taking up space. Should try some of these AAA guys.

Yep, I would have been all up for giving Guerra and Surkamp the role those guys have.