Grilling

Heads22

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
You would think so. Just this past weekend we had all 3 burners on low with the lid down. I was sitting right next to the grill and it still flared up. I ended up turning the middle one off completely. Maybe it's a cheap grill?

The charcoal is plenty hot when I start. I use a metal chimney to get them going and they are ashy/glowing red when I actually put the meat on. I've gotten better but I still seem to end up with some "dead spots" in the charcoal where the grease drips down and puts it out.

One thing I do with my Weber is when the coals are hot, I put the top on the grill with the vents open for 5-10 minutes. I have a red Weber and when it gets super hot, the paint actually turns darker red so I know it's really hot. I get no dead spots.

I know what you are talking about though, I used to have the same problem. I am pretty sure the grease catchers are the problem for you. after college I never used a gas grill again because I hated how I couldn't control the flames, once grease started flowing that thing just got crazy uncontrollable. But we had a really cheap grill, I'm sure an expensive gas Weber would be just fine for me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 27, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
One thing I do with my Weber is when the coals are hot, I put the top on the grill with the vents open for 5-10 minutes. I have a red Weber and when it gets super hot, the paint actually turns darker red so I know it's really hot. I get no dead spots.

I know what you are talking about though, I used to have the same problem. I am pretty sure the grease catchers are the problem for you. after college I never used a gas grill again because I hated how I couldn't control the flames, once grease started flowing that thing just got crazy uncontrollable. But we had a really cheap grill, I'm sure an expensive gas Weber would be just fine for me.

I have a Weber Q I bought for my condo downtown and I never have that issue, I'm sure it only gets better as the price goes up. I have a cheaper Brinkman at my house in Michigan and it has hot spots and flare ups. Its maddening

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
Hmmm, is there a vent below that you can open to give it better airflow?

I don't think it's the airflow. It's basically the grease dripping down onto the metal plates that cover the burners. Then the flames come up and set the grease on fire, even on their lowest settings.

When I grill something like hot dogs or brats where there is no grease dripping down, it's not a problem.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 27, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
I don't think it's the airflow. It's basically the grease dripping down onto the metal plates that cover the burners. Then the flames come up and set the grease on fire, even on their lowest settings.

When I grill something like hot dogs or brats where there is no grease dripping down, it's not a problem.

Probably need a good cleaning. Or the next time you grill, crank up the temp and let it cook for a while and burn all that excess food off.

Yea, your grease catchers are full, so the grease goes straight to the burner. What brand grill are you using?(I apologize if you already stated it)

You can either take them out and degrease them or buy new ones. You shouldn't have the same problem with charcoal though. You can indirect cook your meat and the grease won't touch the coals. I usually throw my burgers directly on the flame until they have a nice seer, and then move them outside the coals so they cook all the way through but the flame isn't burning the burgers into pieces of char

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 27, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Yea, your grease catchers are full, so the grease goes straight to the burner. What brand grill are you using?(I apologize if you already stated it)

You can either take them out and degrease them or buy new ones. You shouldn't have the same problem with charcoal though. You can indirect cook your meat and the grease won't touch the coals. I usually throw my burgers directly on the flame until they have a nice seer, and then move them outside the coals so they cook all the way through but the flame isn't burning the burgers into pieces of char

You can also put a burner grate in there and use ceramic lava rocks to combat this issue on cheaper gas grills.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 27, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
Probably need a good cleaning. Or the next time you grill, crank up the temp and let it cook for a while and burn all that excess food off.

I do clean it before I cook. The problem is usually the fresh grease from the burgers I put on there.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 27, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

IIRC, the grease catcher is below the burners. The covers look like this:

80003394.jpg

The grease hits them and then just goes straight down. The flames are right underneath.

I'm guessing it's a bad design from a cheap grill.

I have about the same design, only a four burner and the burners seem to be a little closer together. I also have some flareups but they are usually minor and within the first few minutes. I usually watch closely through the gaps and have a spray bottle of water to control the flareups.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
They also make grill pans with smaller openings that help lots with asparagus. Try dunking in lemon juice and garlic powder, then wrapping in bacon. Mmmm, bacon....

:cheers Do you bundle them together of one spear per one piece of bacon? I've also used a cast iron skillet on the grill for bacon wrapped veggies. After allowing some of the heart healthy bacon grease seep into the veggies I will finish up on the grill to dry it up a little bit.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Oh yeah that is a typical configuration of the off brand grills, my brinkman looks just like that and I get mad flare ups. I actually burn it off and then scrape them with the brush.

One thing to check is for any rusted out spots. I had basically an open flame in one section of the burner, which in turn took out some of the deflector. Replacing the parts helped a lot with that grill.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
One thing to check is for any rusted out spots. I had basically an open flame in one section of the burner, which in turn took out some of the deflector. Replacing the parts helped a lot with that grill.

I'm on probably my 7th or 8th brand of grill up there since they only last outside for about 2-5 years. Once this one wears out I am moving my Weber up there and buying a Genesis for my house here.

If you are getting so much grease that you are putting out red hot coals you need to get better cuts of meat.

Honestly something is wrong if the grease is putting out red hot coals.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
I'm on probably my 7th or 8th brand of grill up there since they only last outside for about 2-5 years. Once this one wears out I am moving my Weber up there and buying a Genesis for my house here.

Nice choice.

QUOTE (brett05 @ May 27, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
If you are getting so much grease that you are putting out red hot coals you need to get better cuts of meat.

Honestly something is wrong if the grease is putting out red hot coals.

Plus the grease hitting the coals adds to what we call "charcoal flavor" so we really do not want to avoid that entirely.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
:cheers Do you bundle them together of one spear per one piece of bacon? I've also used a cast iron skillet on the grill for bacon wrapped veggies. After allowing some of the heart healthy bacon grease seep into the veggies I will finish up on the grill to dry it up a little bit.

One long piece per spear. wrap it up, top to bottom. If you have a grill pan you can place them right on there when done wrapping then transfer to the grill. if going right on the regular grill grates, just have to be careful as the bacon will come unwrapped at times.

I usually bundle four or five spears together with one piece of bacon. It grills easier. If I know someone prefers their bacon a little crisper I will precook the bacon a little bit then wrap. It is very hard to judge how long to precook so even better I wind up eating a few pieces will cooking.

I have a simple recipe that will make you look like a grill god in the eyes of men:

Cut a fresh jalapeno lengthwise in half and cut out the guts. Then cut those 2 halves in half the other way to create 8 little "boats". Smash a nice helping of the Philadelphia cream cheese in each boat & wrap each boat in a full piece of bacon. Send a skewer through those puppies, maybe 4 per skewer, spaced nicely and grill. The spacing is key so the skewed sides of bacon cook fully. Just spin them every few minutes. So simple but damn is it good. Anybody else ever do this?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 28, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
I have a simple recipe that will make you look like a grill god in the eyes of men:

Cut a fresh jalapeno lengthwise in half and cut out the guts. Then cut those 2 halves in half the other way to create 8 little "boats". Smash a nice helping of the Philadelphia cream cheese in each boat & wrap each boat in a full piece of bacon. Send a skewer through those puppies, maybe 4 per skewer, spaced nicely and grill. The spacing is key so the skewed sides of bacon cook fully. Just spin them every few minutes. So simple but damn is it good. Anybody else ever do this?

Ill add one more layer to that, mix the cream cheese with chorizo.

I make those a few different ways. What has become our favorite is to make a bacon/cream cheese filling and stuffing them and grilling them in a jalapeno rack.I tried different styles of bacon, but the peppered is my favorite. It becomes less bacon and more jalapeno. I usually remove the seeds and veins to lighted up the heat.

I swear to god. Tonight as usual I grilled 11 perfect BBQ chicken thighs and my wife gets the twelve one that has a pink tint on the bone for the one she picked. Therefore I don't know how to grill chicken very well.

Lol I can't win.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Ill add one more layer to that, mix the cream cheese with chorizo.

Mercy of the heavens...i can't wait.

And Tex, i don't understand the mix and how you stuff bacon in the jalapeno. Sounds delish tho!

Crumble the bacon and mix with the cream cheese. The key is getting the bacon really small. As I said it drastically reduces the bacon flavor, but keeps the jalapeno flavor, which we like.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 30, 2015 -> 02:14 AM)
Mercy of the heavens...i can't wait.

And Tex, i don't understand the mix and how you stuff bacon in the jalapeno. Sounds delish tho!

I like to mix Chorizo with cheddar and béchamel, stuff a jalapeno half and wrap it in bacon.