In-season managerial changes a risk, BUT

caulfield12

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 29, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
The only reason Sox have any decent minor leaguers now is slotted picks. If that would not of changed Sox would still be last in spending and ranked 30th.

I agree. And i don't think it's related to cheapness entirely either. Maybe since sox fans are a blip in the city and fans don't show up JR had to sacrifice draft & development money to have those higher payrolls. I dunno though, just speculating.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
Just a fact.The funny thing is the guy that actually put the team together was Tallon. Former Blackhawk long time Bill Wirtz guy.

Bob Pulford the KW of the Hawks being fired that was when real change happened for the better. The rest is history.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
I am not going to insult anyone's intelligence and say Rocky isn't better than his father, but they were about to get good . Whether it was at least 2 cups good we will never know.And JR is a far better steward than Dollar Bill. I hope you aren't suggesting you look forward to JR"s death.

The first big thing to happen under the new group was to bring in Marian Hossa. I doubt that happens under Bill.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 29, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
The only reason Sox have any decent minor leaguers now is slotted picks. If that would not of changed Sox would still be last in spending and ranked 30th. If not for that Rodon would never of been drafted, but someone Sox could of got at #3 they could sign cheap.

Except Borchard and Viciedo were both record-setting bonuses for collegiate and LA under 23 at the time of their deals.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
Except Borchard and Viciedo were both record-setting bonuses for collegiate and LA under 23 at the time of their deals.

It is a fact Sox spent less on drafting players than anyone in baseball, last few years before slotted picks.

June 3 2012 Chicago Tribune

In the last five years, the White Sox spent only $18.3 million on the draft, the lowest total among the 30 teams and almost $34 million less than the Pirates, who have been the biggest spenders. That's the biggest reason that the Sox have a farm system that doesn't get much love from National media.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:51 PM)
I understand the point that at some point a core ends its run. But our core was strong 2000-2012. We had some great core players so we had a chance to win every year. Our core additions failed- Peavy, TCQ etc. good ideas that didn't pan out. But anybody who says we didn't look good on paper most of those years is crazy. I'm still amazed that we have a good, new core without having to pay the price of losing to acquire it. Sure we've lost a lot the last few years but we have yet to be hopelessly bad for a stretch. We're close. The players need to quit sucking so the heat can get off RV.

my point had nothing to do with RV. but in ref to a team past its time. no team will know that, until its in a middle of loosing several yrs in a row, so to speak. then it is too late to do anything but to ride it out. there is no tell tale sign that will lead them to believe it is time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)
I actually witnessed one fan interaction with Bill Wirtz and had one myself. Bill was walking in front of the Board of Trade about 15 years ago when a guy just got in his face screaming at him as Bill continued to walk down Jackson. I was torn between thinking it was funny and thinking it was pathetic, but it is something I don't think I will ever forget. And omce I was in a United Center bar befor a game about the time plasma TVs were coming out. It wasn't high def yet but sure enough Bill shows up and starts talkimg to my buddy and me about how these TVs are goimg to make watching hockey on TV so much better. He was right on about that one.

in my time of being a hockey season ticket holder, a 10+ yrs. i ran into him and pully on different times. pully was a dick. Bill was great in talking to fans. comes across very friendly and approachable. he had this charm about him. now this was as a fan.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:30 PM)
The only reason Sox have any decent minor leaguers now is slotted picks. If that would not of changed Sox would still be last in spending and ranked 30th. If not for that Rodon would never of been drafted, but someone Sox could of got at #3 they could sign cheap.

it also helps outside Rodon, the sox picked good players that can develop. again outside the first round.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
Kane & Toews helped a smidge.

and those 2 were what number when they were picked??

beside that, Toews is a freak. who comes out and starts playing with the poise he had. he became captain of a nhl team at what age, and i am not talking about a paper capt.

the last point in that rant is who was the GM and did the right selection in the draft.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2015 -> 01:25 AM)
3rd (Toews) and 1st (Kane)

and with Kane, there were huge discussions on trading him for other players.

my last point in this. good scouting and decision making from the GM.