In-season managerial changes a risk, BUT

caulfield12

QUOTE (Tex @ May 29, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
Exactly. It seems that some people want an autocratic last century management philosophy. That hasn't been the best practice for decades.

Just like an equal number believe the latest Ivy League quant/stat geek/sabes guy can magically turn their franchise (or mutual fund) around...

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)
Yea. I'm super impressed with the setup of our FO. While I don't know how all the other teams work, I get the impression that most FO's are chaotic and impersonal. I like that our team is like a family; blood you can trust. KW & RH are Jerry's sons. So are RV, PK & still even still OG- OG is like the relative in rehab that you still love and know will come back one day to the table to eat.

most excellent. :notworthy

btw, i just thought of this and i don't know why.

i wonder the way most of the posters here on this site voiced their opinions. i truly wonder if soxtalk will get their special seating on the next sox convention next offseason.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
Kite how is reinsdorf a problem. He consistently puts out a top payroll considering the lack of attendance. Do you think we should consistently spend more?

Loyalty over accountability.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
But don't you guys get it that KW & RH, brace for it, WANT Jerry in on most of it? They all like each other and like working together and have put damn good on-paper teams on the field almost every year since 2005. Players have sucked for the most part, it stinks. Peavy & Dunn crippled the franchise's chances of winning. Arguably good aggressive moves that didn't pan out. TCQ breaking his hand ruined us for years thinking he would regain his form as our beast. Rios...mercy. I dislike that some of you want to blame people. Who are you to judge? It's just a silly game.

If "arguably good" moves consistently fail, the right move would be to change the philosophy and decision making process that led to those moves.

Instead we keep trying them over and over and over and somehow we're stunned that 2015 looks exactly like every other time we tried and failed with this set of moves.

Some would call that "insanity".

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
why, he learned it all from $$ Bill of the BlackHawks.

i am being honest here.

And how did that change? Bill died. Son decides to line the organization with people from consistent winning organizations and not littering it with former players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
If "arguably good" moves consistently fail, the right move would be to change the philosophy and decision making process that led to those moves.

Instead we keep trying them over and over and over and somehow we're stunned that 2015 looks exactly like every other time we tried and failed with this set of moves.

Some would call that "insanity".

Peavy's freak lat ruined our chances. TCQ put up MVP numbers. Dunn I always hated the move but it made sense. How do you change the philosophy of aquiring or standing behind good players? That's our philosophy. I like it personally. s*** happens.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
And how did that change? Bill died. Son decides to line the organization with people from consistent winning organizations and not littering it with former players.

first you asked or stated an opinion. i answered it. now you want a follow up....... man aren't you ever satisfied.

the philosophy needs to change from the owners group on down. that is all i am going to say, i will let you and others fill in the rest.

but i think you got half the discussion fixed in your statement.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)
Peavy's freak lat ruined our chances. TCQ put up MVP numbers. Dunn I always hated the move but it made sense. How do you change the philosophy of aquiring or standing behind good players? That's our philosophy. I like it personally. s*** happens.

while you make a good point. this was a perfect example that the phillies tried to do. keep the train moving by adding on the core. keep the winning team moving forward.

the problem is, the sox org should have dismantle it, and start with building a core. the main problem was and still until recently, the sox org had shiite in the lower ranks to supplant the team, to ease the rebuild.

so the worst of 2 evils, continue to add or patch up a sinking ship or rebuild it.

what cost more in money and fan attendance. which will affect the income coming in and season tickets to continue to go up? being force to make ticket discounts, and acquire fa's to build that team.

If the Sox don't start winning more games, Sale is going to be the first guy to ask out IMO. I would honestly consider trading him to the Red Sox at the deadline this year. Hahn could get likely a king's ransom from them if they are a couple back in July. Start with Mookie Betts and go from there.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)

The first guy he hired was from the very picture of winning organizations the Cubs

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
If the Sox don't start winning more games, Sale is going to be the first guy to ask out IMO. I would honestly consider trading him to the Red Sox at the deadline this year. Hahn could get likely a king's ransom from them if they are a couple back in July. Start with Mookie Betts and go from there.

What ransom would that be? More prospects that this organization would ruin because most of the kids coming through the organization will have a lower baseball IQ? I sure they could crank out a catcher who still makes Flowers valuable. I'm sure they could produce another Josh Fields.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 29, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
and they got better when Bill died

I am not going to insult anyone's intelligence and say Rocky isn't better than his father, but they were about to get good . Whether it was at least 2 cups good we will never know.And JR is a far better steward than Dollar Bill. I hope you aren't suggesting you look forward to JR"s death.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
while you make a good point. this was a perfect example that the phillies tried to do. keep the train moving by adding on the core. keep the winning team moving forward.

the problem is, the sox org should have dismantle it, and start with building a core. the main problem was and still until recently, the sox org had shiite in the lower ranks to supplant the team, to ease the rebuild.

so the worst of 2 evils, continue to add or patch up a sinking ship or rebuild it.

what cost more in money and fan attendance. which will affect the income coming in and season tickets to continue to go up? being force to make ticket discounts, and acquire fa's to build that team.

I understand the point that at some point a core ends its run. But our core was strong 2000-2012. We had some great core players so we had a chance to win every year. Our core additions failed- Peavy, TCQ etc. good ideas that didn't pan out. But anybody who says we didn't look good on paper most of those years is crazy. I'm still amazed that we have a good, new core without having to pay the price of losing to acquire it. Sure we've lost a lot the last few years but we have yet to be hopelessly bad for a stretch. We're close. The players need to quit sucking so the heat can get off RV.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)
I am not going to insult anyone's intelligence and say Rocky isn't better than his father, but they were about to get good . Whether it was at least 2 cups good we will never know.And JR is a far better steward than Dollar Bill. I hope you aren't suggesting you look forward to JR"s death.

that is why i left it the way i did. i never wanted somebody who i don't know dead. it would be great if he would step down and let the youngins take over.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
that is why i left it the way i did. i never wanted somebody who i don't know dead. it would be great if he would step down and let the youngins take over.

I actually witnessed one fan interaction with Bill Wirtz and had one myself. Bill was walking in front of the Board of Trade about 15 years ago when a guy just got in his face screaming at him as Bill continued to walk down Jackson. I was torn between thinking it was funny and thinking it was pathetic, but it is something I don't think I will ever forget. And omce I was in a United Center bar befor a game about the time plasma TVs were coming out. It wasn't high def yet but sure enough Bill shows up and starts talkimg to my buddy and me about how these TVs are goimg to make watching hockey on TV so much better. He was right on about that one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
I actually witnessed one fan interaction with Bill Wirtz and had one myself. Bill was walking in front of the Board of Trade about 15 years ago when a guy just got in his face screaming at him as Bill continued to walk down Jackson. I was torn between thinking it was funny and thinking it was pathetic, but it is something I don't think I will ever forget. And omce I was in a United Center bar befor a game about the time plasma TVs were coming out. It wasn't high def yet but sure enough Bill shows up and starts talkimg to my buddy and me about how these TVs are goimg to make watching hockey on TV so much better. He was right on about that one.

Which is a particular shame because I'm at best a very slight hockey fan since he wouldn't let me watch hockey while growing up.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
do not forget the drafting and great farm system the sox have

The only reason Sox have any decent minor leaguers now is slotted picks. If that would not of changed Sox would still be last in spending and ranked 30th. If not for that Rodon would never of been drafted, but someone Sox could of got at #3 they could sign cheap.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
Which is a particular shame because I'm at best a very slight hockey fan since he wouldn't let me watch hockey while growing up.

I played growing up and loved watching the hawks, but man did that suck. I can't to this day understand that concept. In all business you give a little to get a lot. He coulda grown the fan base that whole time arguably. I mean as kids we could go to a hawks game for 10 bucks. How much was he really making with an empty stadium? Lunacy.