White Sox vs Rangers game thread 6/2/15

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
Are you related to Theon Greyjoy?

Just kidding...if you don't get the reference with your account name.

I've had this name since 2004 or so. I did get a good chuckle when Theon adopted that name. I did give a thought to changing it lol

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
Haven't heard Coop ever talk about pitching to contact. Link?

That philosophy only works when you have stellar infield defense.

In general, the idea of keeping pitch count down...not trying to be too fine, getting ahead in counts with first-pitch strikes and worrying more about getting outs than K's.

That worked for the Pirates with the likes of Liriano and Volquez because they had the infield to pull it off.

The White Sox, not so much.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
Haven't heard Coop ever talk about pitching to contact. Link?

In general, the idea of keeping pitch count down...not trying to be too fine, getting ahead in counts with first-pitch strikes and worrying more about getting outs than K's.

That worked for the Pirates with the likes of Liriano and Volquez because they had the infield to pull it off.

Another example, the Twins this year. They don't have a lot of high K guys, but they're letting their great outfield defense and spacious stadium work to their advantage. I think they're something like 12 games over .500 at home.

And, of course, the year the Tigers finally seem to be coming down to the earth, there are two other teams besides them to run down in the standings. Typical AL Central season in the 2000's (when the Twins weren't winning it).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)

Oh I know what it means, I'm saying I haven't ever heard Coop being an advocate for it

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)
And, of course, the year the Tigers finally seem to be coming down to the earth, there are two other teams besides them to run down in the standings. Typical AL Central season in the 2000's (when the Twins weren't winning it).

Worth pointing out they've also been insanely, ludicrously lucky

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
And who are you going to play at SS?

Beckham? Sanchez? Saladino? Leury?

Does it matter Alexi sure is not a everyday SS anymore...................another gift hit from scorer.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:49 PM)
Worth pointing out they've also been insanely, ludicrously lucky

Be that as it may, when Buxton, Sano, Berrios and their #1 pick this year come up...the talent will be catching up with the overperformance.

Torii Hunter has had just as much of a psychological impact as he has had on the field of play statistically. (Yet another player KW has chased all over the country and never quite been able to get to sign on the dotted line).

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
Does it matter Alexi sure is not a everyday SS anymore...................another gift hit from scorer.

If he's going to be even worse in 2016 and/or we are unable to trade him this season...the White Sox and Hahn are screwed.

Someone like Stephen Drew will end up the starter and we'll be wishing Ramirez was back, lol. Marty might even return to posting to beg for the return of Alexei.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
Well 1 more run scores and we max out Samardzija's ERA jump for the day.

The most appropriate thing the front office could do as of today would be to put together a marketing video montage of all the runs that showed up on Samardzija's ERA but don't really belong there.

Should send it to all 12-15 fellow teams looking for starting pitching upgrades at the ASB.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
If he's going to be even worse in 2016 and/or we are unable to trade him this season...the White Sox and Hahn are screwed.

Someone like Stephen Drew will end up the starter and we'll be wishing Ramirez was back, lol. Marty might even return to posting to beg for the return of Alexei.

I hear you this team right now is a mess.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Samardzija ERA exploded tonight. Some of the worst stuff I have ever seen him have. Rangers lineup is pretty awesome right now.

Then, you add Hamilton, Beltre (where Gallo can play, other than 1B/DH/LF/RF I'm not sure...rotating with Moreland/Fielder)...Jurickson Profar and Odor return and eventually become at least 75-85% of the players they were hyped to be, it's a team to contend with.

Of course, the biggest missing element is Yu Darvish...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Then, you add Hamilton, Beltre (where Gallo can play, other than 1B/DH/LF/RF I'm not sure...rotating with Moreland/Fielder)...Jurickson Profar and Odor return and eventually become at least 75-85% of the players they were hyped to be, it's a team to contend with.

Of course, the biggest missing element is Yu Darvish...

So you're saying they could use a 3 month rental right handed starter....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
There we go, Samardzija's ERA back to 4.68.

If only we could convince other teams to give up two solid pitchers for starters with ERAs near 5.

We should/could have traded Humber and Noesi at their peak values and theoretically gotten the same return, lol.

Edited by caulfield12