No LaRoche against Lefties please...

harkness99

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 07:51 PM)
I think we should stop thinking that it needs to be a leftie and instead pursue a GOOD cleanup hitter. Leftie doesn't mean a hill of beans if the schmuck can't hit. We're now on leftie schmuck #2 in our DH spot.

Someone like Kendrys Morales would have been a much better fit. He's having a good year against both LHP and RHP.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
Someone like Kendrys Morales would have been a much better fit. He's having a good year against both LHP and RHP.

With how he looked last year...adding him wouldn't have made much sense alongside the "win this year" kind of move that signing Samardzija was. I personally liked signing him, was surprised how much money he got but was generally ok with the LaRoche move.

Frankly LaRoche still isn't that bad, his OPS against righties is only a tiny bit below Morales's. Someone just needs to have the manager look at his lefty/righty splits over the last 3 seasons. Hell, someone should have made them notice that in the offseason.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Honestly I was happy with the LaRoche signing but not platooning him is a crime.

I'm the same, and I still think they were planning on having that player be Bonifacio if he wasn't so awful this year. A day or two after he signed, I think it was Hahn saying he could see some time at DH vs LHP. LaRoche is fine as a clean-up hitter vs RHP, but the bad fit comes in having him be a full-time starter vs LHP.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
Hell, at the very least, pinch hit for him in the 8th inning. Send up Soto, the only thing he's done this year is hit clutch HR. Do a double-switch if you're really worried about using up your catcher in the DH slot. They'd just brought in a lefty reliever and so you were 100% guaranteeing yourself that Soto would get to face the not-very-good lefty reliever.

I really just wanted Q to not take the loss in that game, so that one did annoy me.

You want them to do something that is against the rules. You can't "double switch" with a DH. You pinch hit for the DH, you are the DH.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm the same, and I still think they were planning on having that player be Bonifacio if he wasn't so awful this year. A day or two after he signed, I think it was Hahn saying he could see some time at DH vs LHP. LaRoche is fine as a clean-up hitter vs RHP, but the bad fit comes in having him be a full-time starter vs LHP.

Minor point...how much of a chance has he been given? He's on pace for 150 PAs this season, so less than 1/4 of a full season.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Honestly I was happy with the LaRoche signing but not platooning him is a crime.

This. A smart org would have learned something from 4 years of the other Adam, but clearly ours did not.

Yeah we have a lot of other guys that can't hit lefties... but some of those players server defensive purposes.

Zero point in putting a guy into who hit... who's only purpose is to hit when he flat out can't do it.

I think Soto would be the best possibility.

Against lefties..

Laroche is .194 with 0 hr's

Soto is .286 with 1 hr

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Minor point...how much of a chance has he been given? He's on pace for 150 PAs this season, so less than 1/4 of a full season.

Same thing with Shuck. While they are not the answer the s*** that is run out there nightly is not really doing the job.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Hard to believe an aging LH power hitter from the Nats didn't work out as a FA for the Sox. That never happens.

Last time the player was to blame for his performance, this time it's on either the front office or coaching staff for not putting the player in the ideal position to succeed. He is doing his job against RHP.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Better solution: Put LaRoche at 1B and Abreu at DH full time. The results speak for themselves

LaRoche at 1B .291/.380/.570

Abreu at 1B .281/.329/.477

LaRoche at DH .199/.308/.304

Abreu at DH .333/.375/.560

Do I actually have to look to find the correlation between LaRoche playing 1b and there being a righty starter on the mound or can we just believe it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
Do I actually have to look to find the correlation between LaRoche playing 1b and there being a righty starter on the mound or can we just believe it?

Righty on the mound for 18 of 22 first base starts, ~82%.