No LaRoche against Lefties please...

harkness99

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
I have the feeling Q would like to pitch against the White Sox.

with what the sox are paying Adam, do you think the owners will allow that on a regular basis for the rest of the season???

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
I am hoping the Cardinals take LaRoche of our hands in the coming weeks.

Would be a pure salary dump at this point. I would rather see if he can rebound in the 2nd half. No real reason not to, it's not like he is blocking anyone.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
Would be a pure salary dump at this point. I would rather see if he can rebound in the 2nd half. No real reason not to, it's not like he is blocking anyone.

Fine. If they take on all his salary for this year and next, just cut your losses and sign a real DH in the offseason.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)

While he isn't blocking anyone now, he would be blocking whomever the Sox target as his replacement, for next season. If they can dump that salary, they may be able to find a legitimate left handed clean up hitter, which this lineup sorely needs.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
While he isn't blocking anyone now, he would be blocking whomever the Sox target as his replacement, for next season. If they can dump that salary, they may be able to find a legitimate left handed clean up hitter, which this lineup sorely needs.

And who is that hitter going to be? Example of a hypothetical scenario?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
In a cool piece on Herm Schneider, he mentions Beckham and LaRoche as guys who hold the bat by its knob and are vulnerable to hamate injury, and specifically describes some of LaRoche's hand pain as "in some serious places." That probably explains some of his reduced productivity.

They should try the bat with an axe handle like Pedroia uses. No knobs.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
And who is that hitter going to be? Example of a hypothetical scenario?

Just an example, I am not necessarily saying they should do it:

Trade LaRoche to the Cardinals who pick up his whole salary and give us a lottery ticket.

Sox sign Chris Davis in the offseason to be their DH for the next four years. Napoli and Morneau would be other options. None of them are perfect, for sure.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Just an example, I am not necessarily saying they should do it:

Trade LaRoche to the Cardinals who pick up his whole salary and give us a lottery ticket.

Sox sign Chris Davis in the offseason to be their DH for the next four years. Napoli and Morneau would be other options. None of them are perfect, for sure.

better yet, as you said, i agree with the Adam idea, even throw in Sanborn - rp to entice them.

let the offseason be in the off season. many things can happen with ref to trades and prospects.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)

If a team already has a "replacement" they don't need LaRoche.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
If a team already has a "replacement" they don't need LaRoche.

I think he was saying that if the Sox have their eye on a guy who could be a better fit at DH and is hitting free agency after 2015, they can cut their losses by trading LaRoche now and going after said guy this winter.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 06:34 AM)
The problem is that there are 10 guys on the team who shouldn't be playing against lefties, but only four of them can be on the bench at any given time.

Yes, but you can easily bench one of them to gain 300 points of OPS for each of at least 3 ABs, and yet aren't doing so on a team that can't score for crap. Of course, it's not a solution to overall problems of the offense, but baseball is a game of tiny margins, and it's precisely the little things that we fail at that other teams don't, that make a difference in a game like yesterday's.

Deck chairs whatever. Dumb is dumb.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
Yes, but you can easily bench one of them to gain 300 points of OPS for each of at least 3 ABs, and yet aren't doing so on a team that can't score for crap. Of course, it's not a solution to overall problems of the offense, but baseball is a game of tiny margins, and it's precisely the little things that we fail at that other teams don't, that make a difference in a game like yesterday's.

Deck chairs whatever. Dumb is dumb.

Hell, at the very least, pinch hit for him in the 8th inning. Send up Soto, the only thing he's done this year is hit clutch HR. Do a double-switch if you're really worried about using up your catcher in the DH slot. They'd just brought in a lefty reliever and so you were 100% guaranteeing yourself that Soto would get to face the not-very-good lefty reliever.

I really just wanted Q to not take the loss in that game, so that one did annoy me.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)

I think we should stop thinking that it needs to be a leftie and instead pursue a GOOD cleanup hitter. Leftie doesn't mean a hill of beans if the schmuck can't hit. We're now on leftie schmuck #2 in our DH spot.