Sale pitching in AS Game in Emergency situation ONLY

knightni

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Oh, i will just see myself right out of here for never having played major league baseball in my life before. You can run the place now

before I leave

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2015/07/14/ha...-all-star-game/

Sonny Gray pulled himself from the game because he pitched Sunday. Why do that instead of just showing up and not pitching??? Remember when Pujols trashed LaRussa for not playing him in an All star game??? I have no problem that Sale didn't pitch. But why not let him stay home and send another White Sox pitcher to tha game?? Robertson would have pitched for example. I bet Sale really wanted to pitch once he got there.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
Sonny Gray pulled himself from the game because he pitched Sunday. Why do that instead of just showing up and not pitching??? Remember when Pujols trashed LaRussa for not playing him in an All star game??? I have no problem that Sale didn't pitch. But why not let him stay home and send another White Sox pitcher to tha game?? Robertson would have pitched for example. I bet Sale really wanted to pitch once he got there.

The pitchers that "pull themselves" from the game still attend the game and other festivities and sit on the bench. There are always way more pitchers than needed in an ASG. I think it is bummer that Sale didn't pitch because I know he really wanted to, but it is much better for the team that he didn't.

Chris Sale gets over a week off, making him better prepared to finish the season in games that count. Perhaps even lowering his risk of injury. It's basically a timeout during the season. Why do people have a problem with this? Would you would rather watch Sale pitch 1 inning in a meaningless game, or have him actually pitch for the White Sox?

And Greg, your stance is beyond crazy. When Ozzie managed the All Star team, he didn't play 4 White Sox players. If Ventura and Cooper are evil, what is he?

Sale gets the honor of being an All Star, and still gets his in season "timeout". It's a win win.

Um, ok. So the Sox just get to select anyone and send them to the game if a player isnt playing? Wasnt aware that was how it works

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Um, ok. So the Sox just get to select anyone and send them to the game if a player isnt playing? Wasnt aware that was how it works

"Yeah, hi, Ned Yost? Rick Hahn here. Look, I know you wanted Chris Sale to pitch for you in the All-Star Game, but I have decided to send you Scott Carroll instead."

"Hello?"

"huh, the line went dead. Must be that ATT service today."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)

that is not how it works When Gray pulled himself from the game, MLB sent Hector Santiago in his place. So MLB would have had to select another White Sox player since they would have had had no representative if Sale didn't go.

If anyone should be complaining about not getting into the game it's AJ Burnett.

Burnett, 38, suited up Tuesday for the first time as an MLB All-Star. Though, he's been a productive big leaguer for 17 seasons, it wasn't until this season — his final season, he says — that Burnett was elected an All-Star by his peers

One problem, though, Burnett never got called out of the bullpen.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
I find it funny that my 11 year old son, who adores Chris Sale, took the news that he wasn't pitching better than most adults in here.

Not "most." Only a few of us were really furious.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
This thread is hilarious. I would have liked to see him pitch, but I also don't mind him getting extra rest. There is absolutely zero reason to get upset about this.

Sale is a great pitcher. I wanted to see him pitch. Yost even said to the KC Star the reason it was a big deal was "he's a great pitcher. the world kind of wants to see him pitch." It was rinky dink of the White Sox to hold him out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
The thing I don't agree with is him not starting on Friday against the Royals and maximizing his second half starts if the team actually believes they're still in it. At this point, I'm expecting them to split the next 14 games or go 6-8, and the trading will begin. And then they'll shut down Sale at the end of the season with 30 starts, and they'll put him back in the glass case until next spring training.

The competitive thing to do would be to pitch Shark and Sale Friday and go for something special, a sweep right off the bat. Danks doesn't even have to pitch in the first series.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
There were 29 pitchers on the AS roster. There were 17 starters and 12 relievers.

Only 16 of those 29 pitchers actually pitched in the game. Of those 16 only 5 pitched on Saturday or Sunday. Of those 5, only one of them is a starting pitcher: Dallas Keuchel. Had Sale pitched he would’ve been the only other starting pitcher going on 2 days rest.

Of the 13 pitchers that DNP 7 of them pitched on Saturday or Sunday. 4 of them were starters: Sale, Burnett, Gray and Scherzer. The last two took themselves out because they pitched on Sunday.

So to wrap it all up, there were 5 starting pitchers on the AS rosters that pitched Saturday or Sunday. Only one made an appearance in the game. Holding Sale out was not unprecedented. So please stop throwing a tantrum about it.

Thanks for looking up the stats and the facts.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Today's SouthSideSox post sums up very nicely why the Sox were silly to carry on the way they did about Sale not pitching.

Nice.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
Chris Sale gets over a week off, making him better prepared to finish the season in games that count. Perhaps even lowering his risk of injury. It's basically a timeout during the season. Why do people have a problem with this? Would you would rather watch Sale pitch 1 inning in a meaningless game, or have him actually pitch for the White Sox?

And Greg, your stance is beyond crazy. When Ozzie managed the All Star team, he didn't play 4 White Sox players. If Ventura and Cooper are evil, what is he?

Sale gets the honor of being an All Star, and still gets his in season "timeout". It's a win win.

If the Sox don't start Sale in the Royals series, something MUST be wrong with his arm. That again would make no sense. My stance isn't beyond crazy. The Sox are going nowhere and have a dominant pitcher. I wanted to see him excel in the All Star game, not just sit there after Robin told Yost not to use him. Seems very unprofessional to me. I bet when Robin showed up for all star games he sure wanted to get in and play.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
that is not how it works When Gray pulled himself from the game, MLB sent Hector Santiago in his place. So MLB would have had to select another White Sox player since they would have had had no representative if Sale didn't go.

How do you know this? DO you work in the MLB office?

And what if the Sox didnt want Roberston pitching? Then your panties would really be in a bunch over it and we would have another thread where you would hate life because of an exhibition game

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
How do you know this? DO you work in the MLB office?

And what if the Sox didnt want Roberston pitching? Then your panties would really be in a bunch over it and we would have another thread where you would hate life because of an exhibition game

I'd be OK with all of this if the Sox got reprimanded or fined over this issue. And this exhibition game would be considered way more than that if the Sox made the WS. We'd get the first two games in the great city of Chicago not have to wait.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
I'd be OK with all of this if the Sox got reprimanded or fined over this issue. And this exhibition game would be considered way more than that if the Sox made the WS. We'd get the first two games in the great city of Chicago not have to wait.

please, greg. go to applebees or something

Sonny Gray did not "pull" himself from the game. MLB rules dictate that any pitcher who started the Sunday before the All Star break are ineligible and are replaced on the team. Because Sale was an eligible pitcher and did not have an injury, he was not replaced. There are always way more pitchers than are needed. You guys are really making a mountain out of a mole hill. I mean it's the All Star Game, who gives a f*** whether a player from your team plays or not. What are we, seven years old?

This is brilliant. Penalize a team for not wanting the ace to play in a meaningless exhibition game. Great idea Greg. Why didn't you throw your name into the hat when they were looking for a new commissioner?

The Cardinals and Bruce Bochy better be reprimanded too Commissioner.

http://www.missourinet.com/2015/07/15/no-m...merican-league/

Cardinals starting pitcher Michael Wacha was voted into the All-Star game by his peers. Carlos Martinez was voted in through the final fan vote and found out last Friday he too would be going along to Cincinnati with the St. Louis group. Martinez beat out L.A. ace Clayton Kershaw in the fan’s vote, with Kershaw actually finishing in third.

Yet National League manager Bruce Bochy, who brought Kershaw on at the last minute when St. Charles, Mo. native Max Scherzer would not be available, decided to use Kershaw over Wacha and Martinez. It backfired as Kershaw gave up a two out single to Prince Fielder and a double to Royals’ starter Lorenzo Cain allowing two runs to score as the American League took a 3-1 lead on their way to a 6-3 victory and home field advantage for the World Series.

Was this a blatant snub by Bochy? Perhaps. There could also be some behind the scenes dealings taking place. The Cardinals are going to have to lean on Wacha and Martinez in the second half of the season along with Lance Lynn. Adam Wainwright is gone, Jaime Garcia is out…only getting five innings a start from guys like Tyler Lyons and Tim Cooney is going to tax the bullpen. Mike Matheny may have sent a directive to Bochy asking that he hold his starters back and use only an emergency situation.

The bad news is that players and fans felt Wacha and Martinez deserved the nod, even over the reigning Cy Young and MVP. The good news is that their arms are saved and they’ll start the second half well rested.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
please, greg. go to applebees or something

I've never once been to Lawrence's applebees. Not ever even considered it actually. Too many local places to savor.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
I mean it's the All Star Game, who gives a f*** whether a player from your team plays or not. What are we, seven years old?

I wouldn't have cared except for the issue being reported before the game. If he just hadn't pitched and we didn't know why that would have been fine. Although I would have wanted Sale to get revenge on Yost this weekend.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
Hey Greg if Chris is so dominant then why isn't Yost worried about facing him?

Because KC is 18 over .500 and we are 4 under. Sox are not a threat to KC even if they win all 4.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
This is brilliant. Penalize a team for not wanting the ace to play in a meaningless exhibition game. Great idea Greg. Why didn't you throw your name into the hat when they were looking for a new commissioner?

Sale is a big name in baseball. A lot of people notice when something like this happens.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
The Cardinals and Bruce Bochy better be reprimanded too Commissioner.

http://www.missourinet.com/2015/07/15/no-m...merican-league/

I'd have rather had a backdoor deal like this alleges than Robin and the Sox seeming like whiny people over this. I still want to know the reason if Sale doesn't pitch Friday. Again that is just as maddening.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
I've never once been to Lawrence's applebees. Not ever even considered it actually. Too many local places to savor.

I wouldn't have cared except for the issue being reported before the game. If he just hadn't pitched and we didn't know why that would have been fine. Although I would have wanted Sale to get revenge on Yost this weekend.

Because KC is 18 over .500 and we are 4 under. Sox are not a threat to KC even if they win all 4.

Sale is a big name in baseball. A lot of people notice when something like this happens.

I'd have rather had a backdoor deal like this alleges than Robin and the Sox seeming like whiny people over this. I still want to know the reason if Sale doesn't pitch Friday. Again that is just as maddening.

Danks is 8-1 with a 2.73 ERA lifetime vs. KC.