Jose Abreu

harkness99

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
If you're going to spend big money and make big trades to fill other positions and make this team competitive right now while giving that rookie/young player a starting spot...you are passing judgment on him. Your team can't afford for him to disappoint if you do that.

nice.... really nice.

i never thought of that, that way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
If you're going to spend big money and make big trades to fill other positions and make this team competitive right now while giving that rookie/young player a starting spot...you are passing judgment on him. Your team can't afford for him to disappoint if you do that.

I don't think anyone is "giving" him a starting spot. How many times do you see young players not make it and get sent down?

It happens all the time/over and over... there is nothing close to set in stone about any of these young infielders. Not even sure what you are talking about.

We weren't making any big trades this season and we shouldn't have.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't sign or trade for a big time 3b...

It also doesn't change my initial reasoning which is none of us.. including you or I have seen the guy play enough to make any rational final conclusions about him.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
I don't think anyone is "giving" him a starting spot. How many times do you see young players not make it and get sent down?

It happens all the time/over and over... there is nothing close to set in stone about any of these young infielders. Not even sure what you are talking about.

We weren't making any big trades this season and we shouldn't have.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't sign or trade for a big time 3b...

It also doesn't change my initial reasoning which is none of us.. including you or I have seen the guy play enough to make any rational final conclusions about him.

We made a big trade and several big FA signings last offseason and then counted on rookies at 2b, and guys with limited track records of success in RF, 3b, and C, and many of those positions stung us all year.

If we're going to play these guys again next year and hope they get better...great. They may very well do so. But don't go spending huge amounts of money on guys in their mid-30s or trading for guys a year from free agency if you're going to do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)

At the time of those trades and signings, Saladino was a minor leaguer coming off surgery. He wasn't even on the team to begin the season.

It doesn't appear in any way, shape, or form the White Sox were counting on him immediately.

The judgement they passed was he wasn't ready to contribute.

But don't let facts ever get in the way of your whining.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
We made a big trade and several big FA signings last offseason and then counted on rookies at 2b, and guys with limited track records of success in RF, 3b, and C, and many of those positions stung us all year.

If we're going to play these guys again next year and hope they get better...great. They may very well do so. But don't go spending huge amounts of money on guys in their mid-30s or trading for guys a year from free agency if you're going to do that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
At the time of those trades and signings, Saladino was a minor leaguer coming off surgery. He wasn't even on the team to begin the season.

It doesn't appear in any way, shape, or form the White Sox were counting on him immediately.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)

Yeah..they are giving the kid a shot... and I see some potential there for sure.

1. He is patient.. he doesn't swing at EVERY pitch... something we need more of.

2. He can play defense.... something we need more of.

3. He has some pop and can drive the ball.

That being said.. yeah I don't know. It's too early to know.

No one in this organization has him penciled in for good Balta... I really doubt that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)

The signings stung us as much as the young players.

Good lord, do people still think that buying high on veterans at their peak or after is the way to build a baseball team?

Hahn had the right idea in December of 2013. Our young player for their young player.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I'd bet anything that Saladino won't get in the way of upgrading 3B. This front office needs another big offseason. Not good enough clearly, to just go out and make minor moves.

I'd still like to see him get a shot at SS next year. But I wouldn't do that if I were counting on this team to be competitive next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)

that is going to be a big problem. don't get me wrong, but those players are looking for the last big contract. in most cases.

trading for a player who is 1 or 2 yrs from fa's may be the way to go, until the minors starts producing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)

Especially if they spent all of their time in the NL. They don't do well in this area.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Especially if they spent all of their time in the NL. They don't do well in this area.

Laroche was supposed to punish baseballs so the magnifying glass wouldn't need to be focused on the flaws of our young guys. It's a shame Laroche has only punished about 6 baseballs all year- he's the biggest reason we suck extra suckily IMO.