Good Company eh?

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
and do you believe everything someone tells you???

they are businessmen first and foremost. they want to max the profit. so if this was their only major income coming in, ok, but they also have the bulls company and all the other sub companies associated with the sports industry.....

i have heard one owner and his grandstanding on how much he is a baseball fan and he would loose money blah... blah...

when the time has come, put up this money, max out what you can or go in the black for 1 yr to a yr of building a dynasty.... but make sure you have the right person at the helm.

second, major contracts will be coming of the books next yr, anywhere from 28+ mil to 38 mil depending on Alexei contract.

after that yr, the team will have an additional 13+ mil coming off again depending on this yr fa signing. at this time the farm and the minor league should start supporting the parent team with smart drafts that hopefully the players developed as hope and let alone the int't players they signed.

next all the additional money they will make b/c companies want to partnered up with a winner.

it will be easy from that point on.

Boy they should just put you in charge because you have it all figured out. It's so easy. Now have fun explaining to members of the Sox ownership group why they are making less money because the Bulls are successful. The Bulls and Sox are two separate entities. Their finances have NOTHING to do with each other even if they have some of the same people in their respective ownership groups.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:26 AM)
you do know that the cubs and sox negotiate their own contracts for tv, right? theo and tommy boy are banking on the big money of going on their own, but signs point to a burst in the rights bubble. Sox will likely stay on csn with a richer deal, along witht eh hawks and bulls.

Houston had two bad teams at the same time, the Rockets and Astros. Yao Ming had just fallen apart. The Astros were at the end of the Killer B's time period and 4-5 years from contention. Bad timing.

The problem in LA is/was that the contract was TOO generous and wasn't well thought out in terms of the assumptions being made that fans would "force" their cable and satellite companies to carry the Dodgers.

Even the Mariners got nearly $120 million per season in the midst of being a doormat (and without Ichiro) for going on nearly a decade now. A lot of that was also based on the addition of Cano, which turned out not to be an automatic ticket to the playoffs, nor was Nelson Cruz, despite the numbers he put up this year.

At any rate, you have the White Sox with arguably the lowest or next to lowest ratings of any franchise in baseball in terms of tv and probably radio as well this year. The Cubs are trending in the exact opposite direction. Unless that organization completely falls apart from 2016-2018, their new contract will be huge...and if the White Sox continue to suck, that will create an even more profitable supply and demand bubble for Epstein and Co. to take advantage of.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
Well the Dodgers' TV deal has turned out to be a big fiasco with all the people that can't even watch them in LA.

Very true. Of course the Dodgers already have that TV money in the bank. LOL.

A lot will depend on how the Cubs do the next few years and if they can keep this going. If they can and (God forbid) get to or win a World Series, they'll probably get a maximum amount of dollars available regardless of what happens outside the Chicago market.

No question they are in a much better position right now than the Sox. If you believe Fan Graphs stories over the summer the Sox are the least watched team in MLB. That doesn't give them a lot of negotiating area in their next deal unless that drastically changes.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
Boy they should just put you in charge because you have it all figured out. It's so easy. Now have fun explaining to members of the Sox ownership group why they are making less money because the Bulls are successful. The Bulls and Sox are two separate entities. Their finances have NOTHING to do with each other even if they have some of the same people in their respective ownership groups.

exactly and therefore, the sting of loosing money from 1 company should be soften the sting from making money from the second company.

let alone all the tax breaks coming from this.

lets not forget they do make money from the sub companies.

however i do see and understand your point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
Houston had two bad teams at the same time, the Rockets and Astros. Yao Ming had just fallen apart. The Astros were at the end of the Killer B's time period and 4-5 years from contention. Bad timing.

The problem in LA is/was that the contract was TOO generous and wasn't well thought out in terms of the assumptions being made that fans would "force" their cable and satellite companies to carry the Dodgers.

Even the Mariners got nearly $120 million per season in the midst of being a doormat (and without Ichiro) for going on nearly a decade now. A lot of that was also based on the addition of Cano, which turned out not to be an automatic ticket to the playoffs, nor was Nelson Cruz, despite the numbers he put up this year.

At any rate, you have the White Sox with arguably the lowest or next to lowest ratings of any franchise in baseball in terms of tv and probably radio as well this year. The Cubs are trending in the exact opposite direction. Unless that organization completely falls apart from 2016-2018, their new contract will be huge...and if the White Sox continue to suck, that will create an even more profitable supply and demand bubble for Epstein and Co. to take advantage of.

the point is the owners reliance on the fans needs to come out first, before we spend is plain and simple stupid.

they have been making money.

they, the owners have to realign themselves from this failed ideology that the owners been working from.

it is not working.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
exactly and therefore, the sting of loosing money from 1 company should be soften the sting from making money from the second company.

let alone all the tax breaks coming from this.

lets not forget they do make money from the sub companies.

however i do see and understand your point.

The Bulls and Sox do not have the same ownership group. Just because JR is making money off the Bulls doesn't mean that other Sox owners are and would not be too happy with JR overspending just because he is doing good financially. There are a lot more people involved than just JR and he has to look out for their interests too.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:09 PM)
The Bulls and Sox do not have the same ownership group. Just because JR is making money off the Bulls doesn't mean that other Sox owners are and would not be too happy with JR overspending just because he is doing good financially. There are a lot more people involved than just JR and he has to look out for their interests too.

the list of owners of both the hawks and bulls are extremely close with maybe a few different names.

now take JR out of the equation and pls stop making excuses for the owners.

we have or at least i have seen them many times over the course of many yrs. i have been fighting this battle a long freaking time.

i am saying on looking at the big picture of dollars and cents. the owners of the sox does have to have their profits to make ends meet, nor are they surviving on this as a survival of their family.

this is an investment in which they have made money or the course of their intial investment.

now lets look at the money, this is by all mean not their only investment and i am sure of that. so any lost will be good in a tax write off.

they pay big bucks for, what i am sure of corp tax acct and lawyers to help them.

they will make that money back.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
the list of owners of both the hawks and bulls are extremely close with maybe a few different names.

now take JR out of the equation and pls stop making excuses for the owners.

we have or at least i have seen them many times over the course of many yrs. i have been fighting this battle a long freaking time.

i am saying on looking at the big picture of dollars and cents. the owners of the sox does have to have their profits to make ends meet, nor are they surviving on this as a survival of their family.

this is an investment in which they have made money or the course of their intial investment.

now lets look at the money, this is by all mean not their only investment and i am sure of that. so any lost will be good in a tax write off.

they pay big bucks for, what i am sure of corp tax acct and lawyers to help them.

they will make that money back.

I'm not going to argue with you on this anymore but I will say you are dead wrong. The finances of the Bulls have nothing to do with the finances of the Sox. While JR is the majority owner and the face he still has to look out for the other investors.

Every time I read one of your posts I think of an old saying, "it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". That would be good advice for you to take.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
I'm not going to argue with you on this anymore but I will say you are dead wrong. The finances of the Bulls have nothing to do with the finances of the Sox. While JR is the majority owner and the face he still has to look out for the other investors.

Every time I read one of your posts I think of an old saying, "it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". That would be good advice for you to take.

cleaver.... :lol:

and btw, 2 things.

get the list of those on the board for both the sox and bulls and compare.

and second, for you major size of your pea size intellect, how many times i am saying keep the bulls out of the equation. :huh

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)

and btw, 2 things.

and second, for you major size of your pea size intellect, how many times i am saying keep the bulls out of the equation. :huh

You accuse me of having a pea size intellect when you write cleaver instead of clever and sentences like "for you major size of your pea size intellect"? What the f*** is that supposed to mean anyways? Is that English?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
they are businessmen first and foremost. they want to max the profit. so if this was their only major income coming in, ok, but they also have the bulls company and all the other sub companies associated with the sports industry.....

How exactly are you saying keep the Bulls out of the equation when in an earlier post you listed the Bulls as a revenue stream for the owners. If JR solely owned the teams he could take a hit on the Sox because of the Bulls success, but as just one of many owners, some of which are part of both teams but not all, he cannot do that. He has a responsibility to look out for the other owners. Think of it this way, if you and me owned a business together and decided to sell, how would you feel about me wanting to accept a lower offer because I have an additional successful side business that you are not part of? I would bet you wouldn't be very happy. If JR overspends on the White Sox he is basically taking money out of the rest of the ownership groups pockets to fund his pet project.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:19 PM)
You accuse me of having a pea size intellect when you write cleaver instead of clever and sentences like "for you major size of your pea size intellect"? What the f*** is that supposed to mean anyways? Is that English?

How exactly are you saying keep the Bulls out of the equation when in an earlier post you listed the Bulls as a revenue stream for the owners. If JR solely owned the teams he could take a hit on the Sox because of the Bulls success, but as just one of many owners, some of which are part of both teams but not all, he cannot do that. He has a responsibility to look out for the other owners. Think of it this way, if you and me owned a business together and decided to sell, how would you feel about me wanting to accept a lower offer because I have an additional successful side business that you are not part of? I would bet you wouldn't be very happy. If JR overspends on the White Sox he is basically taking money out of the rest of the ownership groups pockets to fund his pet project.

you disappoint me, i thought you weren't going to respond anymore.

btw, ref the bold, yes you are right and after someone mention this point to be more precised in my statement, i then change in mid stream and i even said to keep the bulls out of it. several times. you are so determine to concentrate on what was posted before.

hence the pea size intellect comment. i will not try to compete in english when i know will loose by a huge margin. many knows that. this is a second language for me.... but i try.

so keep your insulting coming, it just show you do not have any major leg to stand on except for a few isolated sentence.

the point is, the sox owners can afford to loose for 1 yr and make it up in the following yrs in many ways. and again i stated that coro acct and lawyers and for this fact, business mangers will more than likely protect their interest.....

all the while having the owners blame the fans.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)

I have come to the same conclusion.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
you disappoint me, i thought you weren't going to respond anymore.

btw, ref the bold, yes you are right and after someone mention this point to be more precised in my statement, i then change in mid stream and i even said to keep the bulls out of it. several times. you are so determine to concentrate on what was posted before.

hence the pea size intellect comment. i will not try to compete in english when i know will loose by a huge margin. many knows that. this is a second language for me.... but i try.

so keep your insulting coming, it just show you do not have any major leg to stand on except for a few isolated sentence.

the point is, the sox owners can afford to loose for 1 yr and make it up in the following yrs in many ways. and again i stated that coro acct and lawyers and for this fact, business mangers will more than likely protect their interest.....

all the while having the owners blame the fans.

The chairman has to answer to the board. how do you fail to understand this?

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)
The chairman has to answer to the board. how do you fail to understand this?

ahaha oh brother, if i have to explain to this your are lost.

psst i said the owners..... does that ring a bell.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)

and btw, 2 things.

The Bulls and sox are TWO SEPERATE COMPANIES. they may share a chairman and various board members, but they are not merged companies.

When I first got season tickets, I had asked my rep if he sells bulls tix in the summer, and he flat out told me that he wasn't a bulls employee.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
The Bulls and sox are TWO SEPERATE COMPANIES. they may share a chairman and various board members, but they are not merged companies.

When I first got season tickets, I had asked my rep if he sells bulls tix in the summer, and he flat out told me that he wasn't a bulls employee.

there is something to be said about someone hehashing and old argument and get the same thing wrong.

i am done. you are worthless.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
there is something to be said about someone hehashing and old argument and get the same thing wrong.

i am done. you are worthless.

Ah, name calling. The sign of a truly intelligent person.

I can't help it if you don't understand that the Bulls have NOTHING to do with sox finances.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
the point is, the sox owners can afford to loose for 1 yr and make it up in the following yrs in many ways.

Sure they can. But AFAIK, in the 30+ years they've owned the team they have never done that. So I doubt they'd start now.

According to Jerry, they try to run as close to break-even as possible.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Sure they can. But AFAIK, in the 30+ years they've owned the team they have never done that. So I doubt they'd start now.

According to Jerry, they try to run as close to break-even as possible.

that in the bold is a great point and in all honesty, they the owner of the sox need to really spend money in off season, esp if other factors comes into play.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
The team lost money in 2014.

They only spent about 90 million and lost money?

Either way, that’s bound to happen once in a while. My point though is the Sox are not the type of team that is going to go all out and spend big money to try to win it all. Something like the Tigers have been doing the past few years. That’s just not how they operate and I doubt it ever will be.