Good Company eh?

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
What I don't understand about White Sox fans is why it is now a requirement to make the playoffs xx many times in xx many years, and their has to be back to back appearances...If that was always the requirement, how the hell did anyone ever become a White Sox fan?

It's not difficult to understand at all. Those requirements aren't for us. The ones who post on message boards like this are the die-hards. We are the ones that have been fans since we were kids. Had our fandom passed down from our parents and grandparents. We are the ones that still watch the team even when they only win 60 or 70 games.

The problem is when it's just the die-hards going to the games, the attendance is only going to be 10 or 15 thousand a game. Those requirements are for the casual fans. The ones that only pay attention when the team is good.

There are a lot more of them than there are of us and we need them to come spend their money at the ballpark. But they won't until the team starts winning and winning consistently.

Edited by Iwritecode

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, playoffs have changed, right?

This is the worst playoff drought I've seen since being a fan and the playoffs have been easier to make in that span. These are also some of the least fun teams I've had to watch.

It's just been too long, with some of the least dynamic talent I've ever seen on the sox. And yes, that is heavily tilted toward position players.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
It's not difficult to understand at all. Those requirements aren't for us. The ones who post on message boards like this are the die-hards. We are the ones that have been fans since we were kids. Had our fandom passed down from our parents and grandparents. We are the ones that still watch the team even when they only win 60 or 70 games.

The problem is when it's just the die-hards going to the games, the attendance is only going to be 10 or 15 thousand a game. Those requirements are for the casual fans. The ones that only pay attention when the team is good.

i remember going to games after the opener and having layers on layers of cloths. it was great, esp if the sox won.

bo jackson 9th inning hr to win the game. that is one i will always remember.

where are those bo jackson, big frank, fisk, RV....

the only one is Jose A.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

excellent post.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Also, playoffs have changed, right?

This is the worst playoff drought I've seen since being a fan and the playoffs have been easier to make in that span. These are also some of the least fun teams I've had to watch.

It's just been too long, with some of the least dynamic talent I've ever seen on the sox. And yes, that is heavily tilted toward position players.

hit the mark.

if the sox are not in, i stop watching until the playoff is done. always been like that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)
He posted earlier this year how he was ready to give up being a White Sox fan, and has about 1000 posts since ripping JR. If it is so bad, and he is willing to give it up, do all of us, including himself a favor, and give it up. Jump on a bandwagon and be happy.

Three things:

a.) JR has another 1000 posts coming his way, rightly criticizing his management and decision making, until the results start to change and our ball club starts making it to the playoffs more often. You may be content with the frequency with which the team goes to the postseason, but me and the majority of the diehards are not, and understandably so.

b.) Where is all of this "go be a Cubs fan" and I said I was ready "to give up being a White Sox fan" nonsense coming from? I never did nor ever would say such a thing. You're so busy whining about who you deem to be whiners that you are not getting your facts straight. I don't know what to tell you, but you got me mixed up with some other object of your ire. Go find one post where I even suggested anything remotely of the kind, and then we'll talk, but until then, cease and desist with the inaccuracy.

And that brings me to c.) As a wise man once said: Those who whine about whiners are, in fact, whiners themselves, as it turns out.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 09:09 PM)
Three things:

a.) JR has another 1000 posts coming his way, rightly criticizing his management and decision making, until the results start to change and our ball club starts making it to the playoffs more often. You may be content with the frequency with which the team goes to the postseason, but me and the majority of the diehards are not, and understandably so.

b.) Where is all of this "go be a Cubs fan" and I said I was ready "to give up being a White Sox fan" nonsense coming from? I never did nor ever would say such a thing. You're so busy whining about who you deem to be whiners that you are not getting your facts straight. I don't know what to tell you, but you got me mixed up with some other object of your ire. Go find one post where I even suggested anything remotely of the kind, and then we'll talk, but until then, cease and desist with the inaccuracy.

And that brings me to c.) As a wise man once said: Those who whine about whiners are, in fact, whiners themselves, as it turns out.

Consider the source. You can't be "kum ba ya" enough for dick. As for c, what?

People seem to forget that not even 365 days ago, the cubs were a crap organization that had a playoff drought that was one day longer than the sox. in a major market with a rich idiot for an owner. the season wasn't even 10 minutes old and they wer the laughingstock of the sports world for the opening day bathroom situation and bleachers that looked like the second death star. 0h, and they had a record of 523-607 in between playoff appearances.

sox record from 2009-2015? 541-590, with an 88 win season in that span.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
We stink. I think it's time to build a new stadium like the Braves do every 20 years or so. Cmon. Build it downtown, make it a palace and make a commitment to excellence for the next 50 years.

the braves are committing white flight into the suburbs. as for the sox, do you have 2 billion dollars for a stadium downtown?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 01:14 AM)
I love Lip threads because they always work under this insane assumption that the Sox management is somehow purposely trying to lose in order to make a penny. This s*** has been going on for over a dozen years on Sox fansites.

despite 2015 having the 2nd highest payroll in sox history.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
I love Lip threads because they always work under this insane assumption that the Sox management is somehow purposely trying to lose in order to make a penny. This s*** has been going on for over a dozen years on Sox fansites.

it all depends on how you look at it.

take #A player who is 35, cost xx mil or a couple yrs.

take #B player who is 28 cost xx + mil for 6 yrs.

take #c player who is a retread cost xx - for 1 yr and hope he can regain something.

there is whole set for pitching. but i think you got my point.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 06:57 AM)
People seem to forget that not even 365 days ago, the cubs were a crap organization that had a playoff drought that was one day longer than the sox. in a major market with a rich idiot for an owner. the season wasn't even 10 minutes old and they wer the laughingstock of the sports world for the opening day bathroom situation and bleachers that looked like the second death star. 0h, and they had a record of 523-607 in between playoff appearances.

sox record from 2009-2015? 541-590, with an 88 win season in that span.

why is there always someone using another team and their history to justify something. there is no comparison .

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)
despite 2015 having the 2nd highest payroll in sox history.

Expecting fans to come out when they're spending that money on the likes of Cabrera (peds), Keppinger, Belisario, Beckham, Bonifacio, Downs, Dunn, LaRoche, Samardzija, etc., is what kind of strategy exactly?

Besides, they always have amongst the lowest paid coaching and scouting departments in baseball, once you get past Don Cooper.

Consistent misallocation of resources.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 03:43 AM)
and at 120 mil. that is not impressive nor convincing.

just keep moving the goalposts.

the 2005!!!!!!!!!zomg!!!!!! payroll was 75 million. 2006 was 15 million more for 9 less wins and no playoffs appearance. While 2007 cost the sox almost as much to be a 90 game loser.

the sox made a huge financial commitment to fielding a winner. those moves didn't work out all the way, but you cant discount the intentions of the ball club. but it's not enough for crybabies that call themselves sox fans.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
just keep moving the goalposts.

the 2005!!!!!!!!!zomg!!!!!! payroll was 75 million. 2006 was 15 million more for 9 less wins and no playoffs appearance. While 2007 cost the sox almost as much to be a 90 game loser.

the sox made a huge financial commitment to fielding a winner. those moves didn't work out all the way, but you cant discount the intentions of the ball club. but it's not enough for crybabies that call themselves sox fans.

you truly amaze me, spending all that energy just so you can find a was to insult..... you truly are acting like a mental midget but i know that you are not.

quick thing, the cost of everything has gone up.... esp the cost of players and players in free agency.

also quick falling back on history to justify anything.

in 2005 the sox were #13 in the league of spending,

2006 #4 with 106 mil+

2011 #4 with 129+ mil

2001-2004 avg spending for salary 50-65 mil +

all the while and this is according to forbes, making as an org and i am going to use a round figure. 190-200+ mil ....

so again, it goes back to the way the team is managed from an owners point of view. the owners are more interested in max out their profit.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
do you understand English?

obviously you try to twist the language to make yourself look good.

just use the sox, lets not use another team. it is completely different set of variables involve.

then again maybe you can't think like that...... interesting b/c then it all fits with this aggressiveness.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)
obviously you try to twist the language to make yourself look good.

just use the sox, lets not use another team. it is completely different set of variables involve.

then again maybe you can't think like that...... interesting b/c then it all fits with this aggressiveness.

um......I AM taking about the sox. There's this thing called COMPARE AND CONTRAST.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 06:52 AM)
you truly amaze me, spending all that energy just so you can find a was to insult..... you truly are acting like a mental midget but i know that you are not.

quick thing, the cost of everything has gone up.... esp the cost of players and players in free agency.

also quick falling back on history to justify anything.

in 2005 the sox were #13 in the league of spending,

2006 #4 with 106 mil+

2011 #4 with 129+ mil

2001-2004 avg spending for salary 50-65 mil +

all the while and this is according to forbes, making as an org and i am going to use a round figure. 190-200+ mil ....

so again, it goes back to the way the team is managed from an owners point of view. the owners are more interested in max out their profit.

then why is the team operated from the top down as a break even business? Words coming DIRECT from the chairman and his top execs? The partners may want that profit check, but the salary and revenuenisntiednto financing the entire operation, including the guy working the box office.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
um......I AM taking about the sox. There's this thing called COMPARE AND CONTRAST.

when all things being equal. this is not equal b/c all teams work with a different philosophy on how to get it done.

again, too much outside variables are in play.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
then why is the team operated from the top down as a break even business? Words coming DIRECT from the chairman and his top execs? The partners may want that profit check, but the salary and revenuenisntiednto financing the entire operation, including the guy working the box office.

and do you believe everything someone tells you???

they are businessmen first and foremost. they want to max the profit. so if this was their only major income coming in, ok, but they also have the bulls company and all the other sub companies associated with the sports industry.....

i have heard one owner and his grandstanding on how much he is a baseball fan and he would loose money blah... blah...

when the time has come, put up this money, max out what you can or go in the black for 1 yr to a yr of building a dynasty.... but make sure you have the right person at the helm.

second, major contracts will be coming of the books next yr, anywhere from 28+ mil to 38 mil depending on Alexei contract.

after that yr, the team will have an additional 13+ mil coming off again depending on this yr fa signing. at this time the farm and the minor league should start supporting the parent team with smart drafts that hopefully the players developed as hope and let alone the int't players they signed.

next all the additional money they will make b/c companies want to partnered up with a winner.

it will be easy from that point on.

Edited by LDF