White Sox lowest rated TV Regional viewership in MLB.. 2015

captain54

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
Honestly this kind of terrifies me. For all we talk about wanting Reinsdorf to step down, I think it's more likely we find an owner try to buy that wants to move us than one that brings in a great new baseball system.

you bring up an interesting point.

for me, it is not that i want him to step down, but to change his philosophy on running the team. die hard sox fans are that... die hard. no matter what or how many times crap is thrown at us. i loyalty to the team is strong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
http://www.statista.com/statistics/196644/...sox-since-2006/

$227 million in revenues last season (2014). Tied for 18th. Well up over 2013 despite a poor product. Revenues generated outperformed team record in the standings in 2013 and 2014.

16th in overall team valuation according to Forbes.

Revenues should have risen to the middle teens to meet the offseason growth of season ticket plans sold this year.

Seems we are exactly where we belong, all things considered.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/193645/...-teams-in-2010/

excellent links..

now i will make my say and offer my apologies. i was mistaken in some post early last week on the numbers. i must have misread forbes financial rpt on the sox going back to 2001.

my bad. i was wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
The White Sox have a long term sweetheart lease and have been one of the most profitable teams in baseball the last 25 years. THEY AREN'T GOING TO MOVE.

And that deal ends in 2029 and there is no chance anything close to that happens again. I'm not looking forward to that stadium fight.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
26th in wins the past three years tends to make people not care.

26th in wins the past three years, dead last in TV ratings, swimming around with the likes of Cleveland, Miami and Oakland in the attendance column, only three of the other 29 teams with a longer playoff drought than the Sox. All of this adds up to the fact that Jerry Reinsdorf is a COLOSSAL FAILURE as an owner - has been, and continues to be. Those statistics for a large market team are abominable. I mean, this is about as rock bottom as it can possibly get. It's like the entire city of Chicago, save the diehards who frequent message boards like this, has turned it's back on the product that Mr. Reinsdorf is offering. Unbelievable. Un-freaking-believable!

26th in wins the past three years, dead last in TV ratings, swimming around with the likes of Cleveland, Miami and Oakland in the attendance column, only three of the other 29 teams with a longer playoff drought than the Sox. All of this adds up to the fact that Jerry Reinsdorf is a COLOSSAL FAILURE as an owner - has been, and continues to be. Those statistics for a large market team are abominable. I mean, this is about as rock bottom as it can possibly get. It's like the entire city of Chicago, save the diehards who frequent message boards like this, has turned it's back on the product that Mr. Reinsdorf is offering. Unbelievable. Un-freaking-believable!

I'm with you on this. JR bought himself a lot of time with 2005 but that time has long since past no matter how much they try to remind us of it.

It is appalling that in a sports-crazy town like Chicago where there's constant talk of how we could probably support a second NFL team that a historic franchise like the Sox have been run down to, as you so perfectly put it, Cleveland-like levels. I mean FFS even perennial bottom-dwellers KC have turned their team around as we simply sink further and further into their former role in the central.

I personally don't care for the Ricketts but damn they did what it took to turn the Cubs around, spent the money, got the talent but most importantly got the MANAGEMENT. Theo Epstein? Joe Maddon? How COULD that fail?

And we don't even need to talk about Rocky Wirtz and his immediate impact, save to say that again, he immediately brought in new MANAGEMENT: Coach Q and Tim McDonough (Bowman was already there in a different capacity).

I think the reality is that JR is basically the McCaskeys of MLB. Another historic franchise for which you have to go even further back for the last moment of glory. The only difference being that the Bears still have a huge audience and sell out.

I really thought the Hawks becoming a dynasty and how they run things would shake JR (or even the McCaskeys) into some sort of action if only for pride--but nothing of any appreciable scale. I think the reality is that the Sox are simply a vanity exercise for JR at this point. A hobby which amazingly still makes him a profit.

Tigers are in the top 5 despite a 17% drop in ratings. They're in Detroit, had a worse record than the Sox and were a slowly developing catastrophe for the better part of the season. There was also a significant roster sell-off at the deadline. I don't think the Sox ratings and attendance can be blamed solely on the product they field. As terribly as the off-season acquisitions ended up working out for them, they still generated excitement coming in to the year. In 2012 they were in 1st for a better portion of the year, yet they pulled their lowest attendance since 2004. I know tv ratings were up for that year (I can't find the numbers, but I think they were at 1.6), but they weren't setting the world on fire.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)
You'd have to wonder if Wirtz, as well, would consider a separate Hawk network.

The mere thought of the Blackhawks having their own network...

2wd3gpg.jpg

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 06:53 AM)
The White Sox have a long term sweetheart lease and have been one of the most profitable teams in baseball the last 25 years. THEY AREN'T GOING TO MOVE.

So if the profits are true that begs the question . Is ownership in it for the money or would it anger them to have a winning product but the profit margin goes down ?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
Then Reinsdorf's legacy won't end up that much better than Comiskey's...

Taking a World Series team and running it into the ground when they were recently 8th-12th in the Forbes valuations isn't very easy to do, especially with that team and owner-friendly lease deal.

Reinsdorf's legacy was solidified in 1996. Resolidified in 2005. His legacy won't change at all.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
So if the profits are true that begs the question . Is ownership in it for the money or would it anger them to have a winning product but the profit margin goes down ?

I don't think there is any situation where a winning profit would drive margins down. Revenue goes up with a competitive product year in and year out. If the Sox would have made the playoffs in 2006 and were competitive in 2007 and 2008 still played out like it did, the culture would be completely different.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Tigers are in the top 5 despite a 17% drop in ratings. They're in Detroit, had a worse record than the Sox and were a slowly developing catastrophe for the better part of the season. There was also a significant roster sell-off at the deadline. I don't think the Sox ratings and attendance can be blamed solely on the product they field. As terribly as the off-season acquisitions ended up working out for them, they still generated excitement coming in to the year. In 2012 they were in 1st for a better portion of the year, yet they pulled their lowest attendance since 2004. I know tv ratings were up for that year (I can't find the numbers, but I think they were at 1.6), but they weren't setting the world on fire.

Also, the mere thought of the Blackhawks having their own network...

2wd3gpg.jpg

The Blackhawks aren't going to have their own network, and JR and Rocky are attached at the hip.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)

One of the terms of the Stadium deal is that the team doesn't get moved. ..which makes absolutely no sense because if Reinsdorf decided to move the team, he wouldn't need the frikkin stadium. Right?

I'm not sure if the stadium deal applies in perpetuity, or just as long as Reinsdorf and the investors own the franchise

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
I don't think there is any situation where a winning profit would drive margins down. Revenue goes up with a competitive product year in and year out. If the Sox would have made the playoffs in 2006 and were competitive in 2007 and 2008 still played out like it did, the culture would be completely different.

Oh I don't know about that . Let's say the Sox decide they wanted top scouts and spent big in international free agency then decided to give a few big name players big contracts . Top organizational people and top players would equal top dollar in an effort to make that long term success a reality. But I think Reinsdorf has made it an art form to just play the middling game using middling people and middling players to ensure profit but that also means not winning in any consistence manner. If the Sox tried using top people at top dollar and it all blew up on them it might wreck profits for years and that's why they never take the risk. Reinsdorf is an expert at risk management.

Sox got off to such an awful start this year after so much offseason hype. "It’s early May, but numbers crunchers who know the math of baseball, such as those at FanGraphs, determined Monday that the Sox (8-14) have a 2 percent chance of winning the American League Central "

can't blame them...

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
The Blackhawks aren't going to have their own network, and JR and Rocky are attached at the hip.

OP mentioned it. It wouldn't last a week even if they found some way to win 5 Stanley Cups a year, and it wouldn't have anything to do with JR and Rocky being attached at the hip.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
I'm with you on this. JR bought himself a lot of time with 2005 but that time has long since past no matter how much they try to remind us of it.

It is appalling that in a sports-crazy town like Chicago where there's constant talk of how we could probably support a second NFL team that a historic franchise like the Sox have been run down to, as you so perfectly put it, Cleveland-like levels. I mean FFS even perennial bottom-dwellers KC have turned their team around as we simply sink further and further into their former role in the central.

I personally don't care for the Ricketts but damn they did what it took to turn the Cubs around, spent the money, got the talent but most importantly got the MANAGEMENT. Theo Epstein? Joe Maddon? How COULD that fail?

And we don't even need to talk about Rocky Wirtz and his immediate impact, save to say that again, he immediately brought in new MANAGEMENT: Coach Q and Tim McDonough (Bowman was already there in a different capacity).

I think the reality is that JR is basically the McCaskeys of MLB. Another historic franchise for which you have to go even further back for the last moment of glory. The only difference being that the Bears still have a huge audience and sell out.

I really thought the Hawks becoming a dynasty and how they run things would shake JR (or even the McCaskeys) into some sort of action if only for pride--but nothing of any appreciable scale. I think the reality is that the Sox are simply a vanity exercise for JR at this point. A hobby which amazingly still makes him a profit.

Well, this is one of so many reasons why this franchise is in so desperate need of new ownership. A new owner, at least for a while, would not operate under some misguided "loyalty reward" program but would rather, presumably, try to assemble the best available talent at the management level, very similar to what Ricketts did up on the north side.

New fresh blood, exciting new ideas coursing throughout the White Sox organization, starting at the top and working it's way down. Now doesn't that have a nice ring to it!

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)

They spent the money because they had the money to spend. That team hasn't ever lost money in the last 10 years. In fact they made almost $80 million in profit last year., which is why they were able to sign Jon Lester. In the four years before that, they had a combined $100 million profit. In 2015 they had $302 million in revenue. The White Sox had $227. The Cubs haven't pulled in that little revenue since 2008.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
Then Reinsdorf's legacy won't end up that much better than Comiskey's...

Taking a World Series team and running it into the ground when they were recently 8th-12th in the Forbes valuations isn't very easy to do, especially with that team and owner-friendly lease deal.

his legacy for me, good business man who missed many opportunities to bring more than that one elusive WS ring.