NLDS: Dodgers vs. Mets

LittleHurt05

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you slide into second base and make contact with the fielder without making any contact with the base, it should be an automatic ejection. I totally get the hard slide trying to break up the DP but it needs to be reined in. Utley's slide was nowhere near the base and so late it resembled more of a football play than a baseball one.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 07:44 AM)
If you slide into second base and make contact with the fielder without making any contact with the base, it should be an automatic ejection. I totally get the hard slide trying to break up the DP but it needs to be reined in. Utley's slide was nowhere near the base and so late it resembled more of a football play than a baseball one.

He hit Tejada's leg before the ground. That was a tackle, plain and simple. He should have been called out, he should have been ejected, and that should have been that. The suspension is dumb, and the league looks stupid for not being able to handle it properly at the time of the review. How can you say in real time that it's a legal slide and then suspend the guy afterwards?

I have a slightly different take. I think this is in part a unintended consequence of replay. In the past, umpires allowed the phantom touching of second on double plays in part to protect the infielders. With replay the phantom is dead. This puts more infielders in harms way than before so the odds of this happening increase. It is old school to bust up the dp anyway you can and I am not advocating hurting a player at all. They will change the rule this off season because owners don't want millionaires/assets getting hurt just like the Posey rule.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
I have a slightly different take. I think this is in part a unintended consequence of replay. In the past, umpires allowed the phantom touching of second on double plays in part to protect the infielders. With replay the phantom is dead. This puts more infielders in harms way than before so the odds of this happening increase. It is old school to bust up the dp anyway you can and I am not advocating hurting a player at all. They will change the rule this off season because owners don't want millionaires/assets getting hurt just like the Posey rule.

Actually phantom still exists. If Tejada had thrown ball to first base, the runner on 2nd would have been ruled out.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)

To a point. This crossed the line. He literally slid right onto the guys feet/shins. If it wasn't a broken leg, it could have very easily been a torn up knee (or two).

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
Actually phantom still exists. If Tejada had thrown ball to first base, the runner on 2nd would have been ruled out.

Actually to add insult to the injury, Dodgers appealed and Utley was ruled safe due to a non touch of second by Tejada. I thought that really sucked.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)

You may be right, but the fact is, that's a dirty play. I get what you're saying, but the issue isn't that Utley was out, it was that he essentially Mortal Kombatted a guy out of the post season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
I will never understand what the Dodgers and Cardinals were thinking at the deadline

Eh, I'm on both sides of this. They had the ability to get Price, but they weren't going to give up Seager or Urias to do it. Their line of thinking was, why give up prospects when we can get him in the offseason. Problem is, they never had a guy who could step up and be a #3 starter. Honestly, they would've been smart to look for a Quintana for Puig type deal considering he's not even being used (I understand he's injured, but even if he wasn't, he wouldn't be the surefire starter). Friedman is overvaluing prospects though. I think this year, the league was as wide open as ever.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 03:09 AM)
Eh, I'm on both sides of this. They had the ability to get Price, but they weren't going to give up Seager or Urias to do it. Their line of thinking was, why give up prospects when we can get him in the offseason. Problem is, they never had a guy who could step up and be a #3 starter. Honestly, they would've been smart to look for a Quintana for Puig type deal considering he's not even being used (I understand he's injured, but even if he wasn't, he wouldn't be the surefire starter). Friedman is overvaluing prospects though. I think this year, the league was as wide open as ever.

Good post