2015 MLB Offseason activity thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
P Henderson Alvarez was non-tendered. Supposed to miss the first month or two of the season. Is he worth a look?

Absolutely. He's only 25 and he put up a 4.6 WAR and a 2.65 ERA season as recently as 2014.

The Sox need to get him.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 03:17 AM)
P Henderson Alvarez was non-tendered. Supposed to miss the first month or two of the season. Is he worth a look?

there are many non-tendered that i would love to have a look-see

Aaron Crow - rh-sp is still recovering from an injury

Yohan Flande lh-sp he is intriguing to me, the factor i keep looking at is he pitched for a sub-par team

Rosell Herrera - 23 yrs old, ss/2b/3b he is still in the minors and well how many ss/3b prospect does the team have. doesn't hurt for more

Juan Nicasio - sp and again another Col factor

Craig Stammen rh-sp, still recovering from a fore arm surgery. still on he really had some mild success in Wash, i think a look-see .

Yusmeiro Petit rh-sp, his stats are really not that bad compared to others on this list. this is a definite for me.

César Ramos lh pretty much as Petit and his success has been with the Angels.

Pedro Alvarez lh- 1b/dh POWER hitting player, 27 hrs and is in his arb yr. well the asking price is what will be me now. but a person to look-see

Greg Holland rh-closer..... this one is puzzling his success --- 47,46, and 32 saves in the bigs for KC and was in his last yr of arb???

well these are all worth a look see but that doesn't mean they will all get sign. but it does make an interesting list of players.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 05:46 AM)
there are many non-tendered that i would love to have a look-see

Aaron Crow - rh-sp is still recovering from an injury

Yohan Flande lh-sp he is intriguing to me, the factor i keep looking at is he pitched for a sub-par team

Rosell Herrera - 23 yrs old, ss/2b/3b he is still in the minors and well how many ss/3b prospect does the team have. doesn't hurt for more

Juan Nicasio - sp and again another Col factor

Craig Stammen rh-sp, still recovering from a fore arm surgery. still on he really had some mild success in Wash, i think a look-see .

Yusmeiro Petit rh-sp, his stats are really not that bad compared to others on this list. this is a definite for me.

César Ramos lh pretty much as Petit and his success has been with the Angels.

Pedro Alvarez lh- 1b/dh POWER hitting player, 27 hrs and is in his arb yr. well the asking price is what will be me now. but a person to look-see

Greg Holland rh-closer..... this one is puzzling his success --- 47,46, and 32 saves in the bigs for KC and was in his last yr of arb???

well these are all worth a look see but that doesn't mean they will all get sign. but it does make an interesting list of players.

In short, most of these guys were non-tendered because they are just bad, injured or too expensive for their production. As for Holland, he won't pitch in '16 due to TJ surgery.

The only played your list that could be of interest is Alvarez but there's no room for him on the Sox roster as long as LaRoche is the DH.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
In short, most of these guys were non-tendered because they are just bad, injured or too expensive for their production. As for Holland, he won't pitch in '16 due to TJ surgery.

The only played your list that could be of interest is Alvarez but there's no room for him on the Sox roster as long as LaRoche is the DH.

as for holland, i can see where i made the mistake on that one.

but the others as you mention, were not worth their arb yr ... meaning money, but with what the sox have now, some can be an improvement even if it is for one or two yrs.

the cupboard is bare....

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
as for holland, i can see where i made the mistake on that one.

but the others as you mention, were not worth their arb yr ... meaning money, but with what the sox have now, some can be an improvement even if it is for one or two yrs.

the cupboard is bare....

It's the quality of these players that I question. I really don't see how any of those players will improve upon what the Sox already have, with the exception of Alvarez over LaRoche. Look at the ages, expected salaries and numbers on those players. Not very good at all. I'd much rather see the Sox use their limited resources on better talent than picking through non-tendered garbage.

As of right now, Henderson Alvarez is the only played that really interests me and I'm leery on him because he gave up more hits than IP and didn't have to face the DH pitching in the NL. Might not translate well at US Cellular. I'd still take a chance depending on his asking but I wouldn't go overboard trying to sign him either due to the Sox needing to spend their money wisely on position players.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
It's the quality of these players that I question. I really don't see how any of those players will improve upon what the Sox already have, with the exception of Alvarez over LaRoche. Look at the ages, expected salaries and numbers on those players. Not very good at all. I'd much rather see the Sox use their limited resources on better talent than picking through non-tendered garbage.

As of right now, Henderson Alvarez is the only played that really interests me and I'm leery on him because he gave up more hits than IP and didn't have to face the DH pitching in the NL. Might not translate well at US Cellular. I'd still take a chance depending on his asking but I wouldn't go overboard trying to sign him either due to the Sox needing to spend their money wisely on position players.

Rice

as you said, limited resources, i will deal not with the financial part but the part i am getting at.. the talent side. last yr, i mention the sox going dumpster diving, b/c since the late 80's that is what they did, pickup players past their prime, past their timeline for their talent, etc.... in order to not to spend money on a viable fa.

well here, they next wave of players > prospects are at least 2 yrs away. they will not spend what would be needed to fix this team, they have some dead contracts that they can move, i would prefer them not to empty the farm, so here is a chance to pick up some viable talent and on some i gave my reasons.

until hahn pulls his magic from the hat, these are some nice stop gap fill ins and who knows the team may get lucky in finging 1 player who is a long term keeper.

they are all young, so they are not the old timers that the sox will be getting.

it is just an idea

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)

I'd be happy to pick up a flyer on Aaron Crow, doubt he would be much more than an invite.