White Privilege?

greg775

A 24 year old black man, Jamar Cook, was shot in the head by police Saturday night. Protesters blocked I-94 in Minneapolis on Monday night, and they've been camping out in front of the local police precinct. Some witnesses say Cook was handcuffed and on the ground when shot, police say he was not handcuffed. Video hasn't been released yet. City asked FBI to conduct a civil rights inquiry. Who knows where this will go.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/no...ark-shot-police

The shooting happened after police said they were called to north Minneapolis around 12.45am on Sunday for a report of an assault. When they arrived, the man had returned and was interfering with paramedics who were assisting the victim, police said. Officers tried to calm him, but there was a struggle.

At some point, an officer fired at least once, hitting the man, police said.

I'm sorry, I don't give a f*** if you're black, white, or anything else, you interfere with paramedics working on a guy you just beat up, you're going to get shot. If you think this is racial then you are the problem and not the police.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)

I'm sorry, I don't give a f*** if you're black, white, or anything else, you interfere with paramedics working on a guy you just beat up, you're going to get shot. If you think this is racial then you are the problem and not the police.

This.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)

If he was assaulting a paramedic, and wouldn't stop? Then maybe yes, maybe no, depending on other circumstances.

Otherwise? No. If he was "interfering" in anything less than a violent way, then shooting is in no way called for. If he stopped, and/or ran away, again, shooting not in any way called for. If he was handcuffed on the ground? Obviously not OK.

And that, has nothing to do with race.

If he was assaulting a paramedic, and wouldn't stop? Then maybe yes, maybe no, depending on other circumstances.

Otherwise? No. If he was "interfering" in anything less than a violent way, then shooting is in no way called for. If he stopped, and/or ran away, again, shooting not in any way called for. If he was handcuffed on the ground? Obviously not OK.

And that, has nothing to do with race.

He was assaulting a paramedic, the police intervened, and the guy reached for the cop's gun. He wasn't handcuffed, but one black person can claim he was and all the rest are going to buy the story because they'll take his word over the cop's every time.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
He was assaulting a paramedic, the police intervened, and the guy reached for the cop's gun. He wasn't handcuffed, but one black person can claim he was and all the rest are going to buy the story because they'll take his word over the cop's every time.

Where are you getting any of the bolded? Because the only news articles I've seen say "interfering", and that he may or may not have been handcuffed. And nothing about reaching for a gun. The linked article above is the same.

If he was assaulting a paramedic (not just interefering, which is vague), and if he did indeed try to grab the cops gun, then certainly that changes the calculus.

Where are you getting any of the bolded? Because the only news articles I've seen say "interfering", and that he may or may not have been handcuffed. And nothing about reaching for a gun. The linked article above is the same.

If he was assaulting a paramedic (not just interefering, which is vague), and if he did indeed try to grab the cops gun, then certainly that changes the calculus.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/11/18/2...ing-identified/

Okay, but it's pretty easy to turn around your earlier post:

He was handcuffed, but one cop person can claim he wasn't and all the white people are going to buy the story because they'll take the cop's word over the anyone else's every time.

Of course the police are going to try to claim some sort of a justification for the shooting. When do they ever come out and say "oh, yeah, that was totally our mistake! sorry!"

Okay, but it's pretty easy to turn around your earlier post:

Of course the police are going to try to claim some sort of a justification for the shooting. When do they ever come out and say "oh, yeah, that was totally our mistake! sorry!"

The police have a lot more to lose by lying than a civilian. When does a black person ever come out and say, "oh yeah, the police were justified in shooting him. We're not going to make a big deal out of this."

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
The police have a lot more to lose by lying than a civilian.

Okay. They still sometimes lie to try to cover things up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south...mans-death.html

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/20...s_his_side.html

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/cincinnati-poli...ck-man-the-head

When does a black person ever come out and say, "oh yeah, the police were justified in shooting him. We're not going to make a big deal out of this."

I'm done with this conversation if we're getting into blanket condemnations/statements about entire racial groups.

Okay. They still sometimes lie to try to cover things up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south...mans-death.html

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/20...s_his_side.html

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/cincinnati-poli...ck-man-the-head

I'm done with this conversation if we're getting into blanket condemnations/statements about entire racial groups.

The people protesting in Minneapolis made this a blanket condemnation of cops, so blame them if you don't like playing that game.

Remember all the witnesses who swore Michael Brown was shot in the back? That was the main trigger that started all the rioting in Ferguson, and they were proven by forensics to by lying. So yeah, as long as that kind of bulls*** continues I'm going to give the cops the benefit of the doubt every time until I see convincing evidence to the contrary.

This outrage in Minneapolis is because people swore the guy was in handcuffs. That's going to be a pretty easy thing to prove/disprove.

I get that minorities are getting a raw deal in a lot of ways, but making martyrs out of felons who get shot by cops protecting themselves and others is going to end up getting you less sympathy, not more.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)

OK, so the Police Union says he wasn't handcuffed and went for the cop's gun. Means it could be true. There is apparently a lot of video, which maybe would tell more. But it still says nothing about assaulting a paramedic.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
The police have a lot more to lose by lying than a civilian. When does a black person ever come out and say, "oh yeah, the police were justified in shooting him. We're not going to make a big deal out of this."

And this... yeah, so, this is pretty racist. You want to rail against supposedly racist people who tell a biased story of events about cops, but then respond with the exact same racism on the other side? That's kinda twisted.

OK, so the Police Union says he wasn't handcuffed and went for the cop's gun. Means it could be true. There is apparently a lot of video, which maybe would tell more. But it still says nothing about assaulting a paramedic.

Preventing first responders from providing care is assault, at least it is in this state.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
Preventing first responders from providing care is assault, at least it is in this state.

I've been an EMT, and I've worked in law enforcement as well. I highly doubt that preventing care is assault. It is illegal to be sure - but probably something like "interference with official acts", or "reckless endangerment" or the like would apply. Unless he actually assaulted or battered them. It isn't clear what "interfere" meant in this case.

Assault has a specific and narrow definition - it is harming another, usually by indirect means (meaning not fists or feet but instead a weapon or object/missile, as fisticuffs would typically be battery, not assault). And because public officials were victims here, of an assault or battery did occur, it would likely automatically upgrade to aggravated. States do have subtle differences, but the general idea is usually the same.

I did not work in Minnesota.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)
Now there is talk that Mizzou has to hire an African American football coach or there could be rioting. Poor Missouri. It hampers your coaching search when your fans DEMAND a certain type of coach you must hire. I am all for the best candidate, white, black, blue, gray, whatever!, but I doubt Charlie Strong is gonna run away from Texas for MU just cause some fans despise him.

It's not healthy that protestors are getting involved in this as well. Geez. Mizzu should hire whomever it wants. Pinkel was a damn fine coach; the successor could come from his staff. Whether the man is white or black shouldn't matter to the protestors.

Citation needed.