White Privilege?

greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:46 AM)
My question to you is ... aren't the protesters at Mizzou on a slippery slope. The school has 7 percent blacks and 93 percent whites I believe I read. At what point does the 93 percent tire of their school being portrayed as unbelievably racist when frankly there haven't been that many incidents. At what point do the protesters calm down a bit and work with the school officials on racism at Mizzou rather than appear to be a bit bully-ish. Or do you think what they're doing is fine?

Missouri isn't just black and white Greg.

The school is 77% white and 23% minority.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Also on this story, last night was apparently pretty terrifying, as threats to students on "yikyak" caused a lockdown and a bunch of crazy rumors to fly around.

I'd never heard of yikyak, but basically its an anonymous social service, which seems like a terrible idea. They found the kid who posted it today saying he was going to kill a bunch of black students.

Yik Yak is basically 4Chan/Reddit combined, but only for local communities. It's really popular at universities.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:03 AM)
Well, heard some horrifying facts about Butler today. One of our talk shows devoted the whole show to how Missouri got played for fools. This Butler guy is not only rich, but he's a renowned activist. He goes around trying to stir up s*** and he succeeded at Mizzou. The football team thought a student was dying on a hunger strike. It turned out to be activist Butler, 26 year old spoiled rich kid Butler. WOW. MU's president and chancellor quit over some punk stirring up trouble because that's what he does.

All anybody had to do was google Butler's name and MU would still have a president/chancellor. WOW.

He's a graduate student at mizzou and his parents wealth is irrelevant. Stop listening to right-wing radio.

http://www.snopes.com/mizzou-hunger-strike-butler-wealthy/

Edited by StrangeSox

I use Yik Yak pretty regularly. It's very popular among those ages 14-23. It's basically a way to communicate with people within a 10-ish (depending on location) mile radius anonymously. Saying you're going to commit mass murder via it is obviously not a good idea.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:03 AM)
Well, heard some horrifying facts about Butler today. One of our talk shows devoted the whole show to how Missouri got played for fools. This Butler guy is not only rich, but he's a renowned activist. He goes around trying to stir up s*** and he succeeded at Mizzou. The football team thought a student was dying on a hunger strike. It turned out to be activist Butler, 26 year old spoiled rich kid Butler. WOW. MU's president and chancellor quit over some punk stirring up trouble because that's what he does.

All anybody had to do was google Butler's name and MU would still have a president/chancellor. WOW.

Greg this is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

"An email to all Missouri students Tuesday urging them to call campus police if they witness "hateful and/or hurtful speech" — even though such speech is not a crime — provided a bonus eye roll for skeptics."

Yeah, sniping this absent of context that the police was at the time responding to death threats that were causing panic on campus is idiotic. It was irresponsible wording, but likely due to being written hastily in an evolving situation.

It's like we are on different planets. KC radio is all over Missouri's letting an activist get away with this. I wouldn't be surprised if the millionaire on the hunger strike was getting fed on the sly. Nobody was watching.

I admit I was fooled at first. I thought, "Wow the MU football team is boycotting so a concerned kid won't die." Now it turns out he's a troublemaker and the student president is making up s***. When are Missouri students going to reclaim their university and show some pride and fight back against these troublemakers.

Our talk radio is all about this and saying Missouri got played by professional protestor types. Like I said the kid on the hunger strike is an activist and is RICH.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
It's like we are on different planets. KC radio is all over Missouri's letting an activist get away with this. I wouldn't be surprised if the millionaire on the hunger strike was getting fed on the sly. Nobody was watching.

I admit I was fooled at first. I thought, "Wow the MU football team is boycotting so a concerned kid won't die." Now it turns out he's a troublemaker and the student president is making up s***. When are Missouri students going to reclaim their university and show some pride and fight back against these troublemakers.

Our talk radio is all about this and saying Missouri got played by professional protestor types. Like I said the kid on the hunger strike is an activist and is RICH.

No wonder you like Donald Trump. You guys live on the same planet.

http://www.amherstsoul.com/post/1331228383...at-we-stand-for

Hopefully this nonsense leads to the education bubble expolding and taking all the sick assclowns with it...i will say these children are entertaining.....that dolt on CAvuto saying school should be free...absolutely it should..totally agree..anything else you want there sweet cheeks?...

Edited by Cknolls

A recent Dartmouth alum provides this summary of events on campus yesterday based on reports from one of her closest friends still on campus:

My friend is texting me about a Black Lives Matter protest that happened at Dartmouth last night. Apparently it started as a standard march and chant across campus and devolved into black students screaming at individuals in the library and calling them out by name for not protesting. It’s finals period so the library is packed with people trying to study, and some of the protesters screamed at people they knew who were doing work and demanded to know why they weren’t protesting. One kid sang a song in the library (when the protest was still “peaceful”) and people clapped when he was done. Then a girl in the protest said “F*** you, white people. You can clap for us but you aren’t f***ing standing up here with us. F*** you.”

Other protesters said that anyone not protesting is a racist and called one girl “rich white human filth.” Some people who were trying to study ran out of the library crying after protesters swarmed their tables and screamed in their faces. One kid joined the protest just because he was scared. They screamed at two girls on [one of the college teams] (both of whom I know and love) for being in the library–meanwhile BOTH girls had participated in the protest earlier and left to study. Another protester said “you are all murdering us in the streets f*** all of you f*** your white privilege and comfort.”

Can you even believe this?

And then we have this slightly more sanitized version from the Dartmouth’s account:

The demonstrators then went from First-Floor Berry up through Fourth-Floor Berry [library], then to Novack and Collis. Some students who were at the library at the time said they felt uncomfortable with the disruption caused by the protest. Some of the demonstrators called out specific students who were studying for not standing up and joining the protest or not wearing black. One student said at one point he was concerned over the possibility of violence, while another said that he called Safety and Security because he was annoyed by the disruption. Diakanwa said that while he saw “a lot of passion and emotions from both sides,” he did not think the situation would ever escalate to violence. If it did, he said, the appropriate authorities would have been contacted to maintain and control the situation. A member of the Class of 2017 who requested anonymity for fear of being targeted said that he did not want to be near the protest, but walked through the crowd of demonstrators when they were on First-Floor Berry in order to check out books. He said that after bumping into a demonstrator, she called him a “racist, privileged a–hole,” and as he was leaving another student told him to “go to hell” because he was not wearing black. Sam Kater ’17 was in Novack at the time of the protest. Kater said that he saw the demonstrating students come down the stairs and enter the study space, chanting “If we can’t study, you can’t study.”

This particular Black Lives Matter crowd has done us a service officially adopting the black shirt and accompanying black duds as its official uniform. Morons.

Life on campus in OBAMA's America

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
A recent Dartmouth alum provides this summary of events on campus yesterday based on reports from one of her closest friends still on campus:

My friend is texting me about a Black Lives Matter protest that happened at Dartmouth last night. Apparently it started as a standard march and chant across campus and devolved into black students screaming at individuals in the library and calling them out by name for not protesting. It’s finals period so the library is packed with people trying to study, and some of the protesters screamed at people they knew who were doing work and demanded to know why they weren’t protesting. One kid sang a song in the library (when the protest was still “peaceful”) and people clapped when he was done. Then a girl in the protest said “F*** you, white people. You can clap for us but you aren’t f***ing standing up here with us. F*** you.”

Other protesters said that anyone not protesting is a racist and called one girl “rich white human filth.” Some people who were trying to study ran out of the library crying after protesters swarmed their tables and screamed in their faces. One kid joined the protest just because he was scared. They screamed at two girls on [one of the college teams] (both of whom I know and love) for being in the library–meanwhile BOTH girls had participated in the protest earlier and left to study. Another protester said “you are all murdering us in the streets f*** all of you f*** your white privilege and comfort.”

Can you even believe this?

And then we have this slightly more sanitized version from the Dartmouth’s account:

The demonstrators then went from First-Floor Berry up through Fourth-Floor Berry [library], then to Novack and Collis. Some students who were at the library at the time said they felt uncomfortable with the disruption caused by the protest. Some of the demonstrators called out specific students who were studying for not standing up and joining the protest or not wearing black. One student said at one point he was concerned over the possibility of violence, while another said that he called Safety and Security because he was annoyed by the disruption. Diakanwa said that while he saw “a lot of passion and emotions from both sides,” he did not think the situation would ever escalate to violence. If it did, he said, the appropriate authorities would have been contacted to maintain and control the situation. A member of the Class of 2017 who requested anonymity for fear of being targeted said that he did not want to be near the protest, but walked through the crowd of demonstrators when they were on First-Floor Berry in order to check out books. He said that after bumping into a demonstrator, she called him a “racist, privileged a–hole,” and as he was leaving another student told him to “go to hell” because he was not wearing black. Sam Kater ’17 was in Novack at the time of the protest. Kater said that he saw the demonstrating students come down the stairs and enter the study space, chanting “If we can’t study, you can’t study.”

This particular Black Lives Matter crowd has done us a service officially adopting the black shirt and accompanying black duds as its official uniform. Morons.

Life on campus in OBAMA's America

So which account is true?

Very sad story of the two women who actually took part in the rally then left to study and they still take grief. I'll say this.

Putting myself in their shoes, If I were a student in the library studying, it would pain me but I'd pick up and leave and go study somewhere else. But a lot of this stuff would start to piss me off.

For instance, I would not want to have to take a required course in diversity just to submit to one of the demands of minorites. Sorry. I'm at college studying my ass off, working my ass off, having a social life when I can squeeze it in ... I don't want to have to take some course (for no credit I assume) on anything much less diversity when I am NOT a racist. and there's not a racist bone in my body. Now if it can count toward my major as an elective, OK.

The other thing that would bother me and may ultimately lead to violence is this white privilege stuff. Keep saying that to white people, making us admit to white privilege, that will not end well. I mean how the hell do they know the people they are talking to admit their white privilege hasn't had a rough life???

That's prejudice in itself. I know one guy when I went to college whose mom left the family, his dad was a deadbeat, and he had jobs since he was 14 basically supporting himself in Wichita. How dare they talk to him about his privilege. And he turned himself into a success by hard hard work, not his family privilege. HE HAD NONE and happened to be white.

Anyhow that's how I see it putting myself in the shoes of the white students in the library. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

p.s. would you admit to white privilege (if u are white) if these groups of protester types told you to? I would be upset by that. That's what some of their demands are, admitting to this privilege. f*** that.

Not a bad story here on a guy offended by white privilege talk but recognizing the argument is worth debating.

http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaini...ke-white-person

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
If I were Illinois, Pinkel would be the best hire. I realize he's older but he's a very good football coach and should be able to leverage existing recruiting channels. That is my one contribution to Illinois football.

He's resigning for health reasons, so my guess is he's not immediately looking for another job.