White Privilege?

greg775

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
As an Illini grad, I love to dig on Mizzou as much as the next guy, but damn kick them while they are down, why don't you? That's been known for months and posted earlier in this thread. The hate in Lawrence is still strong.

Because even though his coach cancelled the rivalry, Greg wants to keep kicking Mizzou while we're down to stoke some rivalry I guess / push whatever Rush Limbaugh says.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
As an Illini grad, I love to dig on Mizzou as much as the next guy, but damn kick them while they are down, why don't you? That's been known for months and posted earlier in this thread. The hate in Lawrence is still strong.

I do not hate Missouri. I am appalled by the tactics of the group that verbally assaulted students over that "white privilege denouncement thing" and the rich kid who had a hunger strike, fooling the damn football team. It was all a scam. I especially loathed them for verbally assaulting some students in the library who earlier had fricking marched with them. If that group was out to ruin a fine school, they did a good job starting in that direction. If they in the future yell at people to denounce their white privilege I wonder if there will be big-time violence on MU's campus. Leave people alone.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:23 PM)
Because even though his coach cancelled the rivalry, Greg wants to keep kicking Mizzou while we're down to stoke some rivalry I guess / push whatever Rush Limbaugh says.

Missouri fans are damn happy with the SEC. They remain ecstatic they are in the SEC. So why do they want to play KU?

There's no reason to have one KU-MU game in Sprint Center every year. The excitement of the rivalry was in Hearnes Center, Mizzou Arena and Allen Fieldhouse, not some neutral site. As far as football, Missouri will win 9 of every 10 games there maybe all 10 so even MU fans probably don't care about that dog of a game being off the schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this is the thread about white privilege, did you see this poem from a white kid saying he's sorry for being privileged? This 'privilege' thing is kind of goofy. I think any white that makes a big deal out of this alleged privilege thing is troubled. There's no way in hell I'm going to be bullied into saying I have privilege. The rich f***s who run American businesses and the CEOs and their bratty kids who have never had to work a day in their lives (who yes, are mostly white) are the privileged assholes not a middle class white guy like me struggling to put food on the table.

f*** you to approach me in a library and call me priviliged. I've worked my ass off just to survive. This privilege stuff bothers me because it's just rude. Yes African Americans who did not have a dad pay for their college have it tougher than a white guy like me whose dad did pay for college. Of course it's tougher. Big deal. I have a lot of white friends whose dad could not put them through college as well. Life is not fair. I'm suspecting in 100-200 years everybody will be the same below the ultra rich business owners. there will be the 1 percent wealthy and everybody else with the same wages and the same benefits and the same cars and houses. is that what the privelege people want???

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/us/teen-slam...-hln/index.html

Edited by greg775

Acknowledging privilege is really just another way of saying "take a walk in X person's shoes", but hopes to go a bit farther than that.

Sure, I've worked my ass off to get where I'm at, but what if I grew up hungry? What if I was constantly afraid of walking down the street? What if I had to take care of my family before I could study and do homework? What if my teachers didn't give a crap about me? What if I couldn't afford to play baseball? What if there wasn't even a baseball team in my neighborhood?

It's not apologizing for what you have, it's acknowledging that just because you got to some point doesn't mean others had the same path to it. Once you allow that then you start thinking about what differences there could have been, how could it have impacted you? Once you start asking questions like that you can start applying it to how you can impact the environment of those going through the struggles that you may not have had to go through.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
Acknowledging privilege is really just another way of saying "take a walk in X person's shoes", but hopes to go a bit farther than that.

Sure, I've worked my ass off to get where I'm at, but what if I grew up hungry? What if I was constantly afraid of walking down the street? What if I had to take care of my family before I could study and do homework? What if my teachers didn't give a crap about me? What if I couldn't afford to play baseball? What if there wasn't even a baseball team in my neighborhood?

It's not apologizing for what you have, it's acknowledging that just because you got to some point doesn't mean others had the same path to it. Once you allow that then you start thinking about what differences there could have been, how could it have impacted you? Once you start asking questions like that you can start applying it to how you can impact the environment of those going through the struggles that you may not have had to go through.

You worded that well. I like what you say.

But I am willing to say that in a 1-on-1 situation with a person. Why? Cause like I said there are whites I know who also were disadvantaged compared to me. Making someone admit their white privilege is just rude. Now you might say even my white friend whose dad was living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't pay for my friend's college had white privilege just cause of all the inherent rights whites have over blacks. That's fine, too. I don't think some white kid writing a poem apologizing for his privilege is accomplishing anything.

I like what you wrote here: "It's not apologizing for what you have, it's acknowledging that just because you got to some point doesn't mean others had the same path to it. Once you allow that then you start thinking about what differences there could have been, how could it have impacted you? Once you start asking questions like that you can start applying it to how you can impact the environment of those going through the struggles that you may not have had to go through."

However, like I said I know a lot of whites who also "did not have the same path to it." My friend's mother dumped him when he was 5 on her parents who were poor. They abused him and treated him like s*** and he made it on his own. He's white and WAS NOT PRIVILEGED. Try telling him to declare his white prvilege.

By being white, you have certain privileges, you just do. A broken household growing up would impact any child, but that doesn't mean he didn't have privileges elsewhere. And that's not to say he didn't overcome a ton to be successful or even just to get to a normal household later in life, no one is saying take that away from the individual (or if they are then they're wrong).

It can be a real touchy subject because you have someone like you mentioned where they truly had some bad s*** happen to them growing up, and it was awful and hard to overcome. But what was the support like around them? The community? The police? It's hard to acknowledge that it may have been even worse, or the individual may become super defensive because they know they had a ton to overcome and feel like it's being diminished, but in a good dialogue on this topic it wouldn't be diminished, instead it should revolve around "yes you went through that, but what helped you out of it? Is that something that could've been impacted by your environment? Your skin color? etc."

Suddenly you may be thinking "yea I went through a lot, but calling the police I knew would help, not make it worse or even have a fear of the officer shooting a family member because they 'felt' threatened upon entering the household." It's not to diminish one's own experiences, it's to open their eyes on how different it could've been.

I'm sure there are others much more qualified to speak on this topic than me but from what I've read and understand, the white privilege they are talking about isn't so much about how much money you had or how much you had to eat or who paid for you to go to school. It's things that are much more intangible.

Things like being able to walk down the street without being stopped by the police. Being able to drive without being pulled over for no reason. Being able to walk down the street and not see the woman and her kid cross the street so they don't have to pass so close.

This article kind of explains it.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
I'm sure there are others much more qualified to speak on this topic than me but from what I've read and understand, the white privilege they are talking about isn't so much about how much money you had or how much you had to eat or who paid for you to go to school. It's things that are much more intangible.

Things like being able to walk down the street without being stopped by the police. Being able to drive without being pulled over for no reason. Being able to walk down the street and not see the woman and her kid cross the street so they don't have to pass so close.

This article kind of explains it.

Exactly, this is what I was trying to get at.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
By being white, you have certain privileges, you just do. A broken household growing up would impact any child, but that doesn't mean he didn't have privileges elsewhere. And that's not to say he didn't overcome a ton to be successful or even just to get to a normal household later in life, no one is saying take that away from the individual (or if they are then they're wrong).

It can be a real touchy subject because you have someone like you mentioned where they truly had some bad s*** happen to them growing up, and it was awful and hard to overcome. But what was the support like around them? The community? The police? It's hard to acknowledge that it may have been even worse, or the individual may become super defensive because they know they had a ton to overcome and feel like it's being diminished, but in a good dialogue on this topic it wouldn't be diminished, instead it should revolve around "yes you went through that, but what helped you out of it? Is that something that could've been impacted by your environment? Your skin color? etc."

Suddenly you may be thinking "yea I went through a lot, but calling the police I knew would help, not make it worse or even have a fear of the officer shooting a family member because they 'felt' threatened upon entering the household." It's not to diminish one's own experiences, it's to open their eyes on how different it could've been.

Good post.

It is a touchy subject because of situations involving people like my friend. I see what you are saying. Even though my friend got dumped on his grandparents who didn't make any money and abused him and made him work for his keep starting in high school, getting jobs, giving him nothing, making him pay for his own college, etc., he does have the innate white privileges. That is: More likely to get hired, especially in a state like Kansas with so many whites; isn't gonna get harassed by the police, etc.

Yes there is innate white privilege; of course there is. I think you'd have to be a red-neck asshole to not agree with the protestors there is white privilege. At the same time, to me, it's something I would never acknowledge to a mob that wants me to flunk my English exam cause they are in my face in the college library wanting me to trash myself by screaming out I am white privilege. To any of the protestors it to me is a great topic to discuss 1 on 1. But you get some mob trying to make me do something like declare white privilege, f*** them all.

I read that article and it's a good one. Yes there is white privilege benefiting those like my friend and the guy who wrote the article despite their being poor. I mean I'll sign a document saying I recognize white privilege if that's what the protestors want. But I'm not going to let them intimidate me like I've done something wrong in merely existing. Issues like this make me wonder if the races will ever truly co-exist. I guarantee you there are asshole rich white business owners who would never hire an African American over a white. There are cops who will always be mean to blacks. So what's the solution? It's not going around as a mob knocking on doors demanding the residents admit their white privilege.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
I think any white that makes a big deal out of this alleged privilege thing is troubled. There's no way in hell I'm going to be bullied into saying I have privilege.

You're right that you shouldn't be bullied into it, but there's nothing wrong with admitting it. Which is what that kid was doing with his poem.

f*** you to approach me in a library and call me priviliged.

You seem really hung up on this one incident that happened months ago. Let it go.

I'm suspecting in 100-200 years everybody will be the same below the ultra rich business owners. there will be the 1 percent wealthy and everybody else with the same wages and the same benefits and the same cars and houses. is that what the privelege people want???

That's the weirdest prediction of the future I've ever read. But you're still confusing being born wealthy vs poor with being born white vs non-white. White privilege has almost nothing to do with wealth.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
It is a touchy subject because of situations involving people like my friend. I see what you are saying. Even though my friend got dumped on his grandparents who didn't make any money and abused him and made him work for his keep starting in high school, getting jobs, giving him nothing, making him pay for his own college, etc., he does have the innate white privileges. That is: More likely to get hired, especially in a state like Kansas with so many whites; isn't gonna get harassed by the police, etc.

Yes there is innate white privilege; of course there is. I think you'd have to be a red-neck asshole to not agree with the protestors there is white privilege.

Now you're starting to get it.

At the same time, to me, it's something I would never acknowledge to a mob that wants me to flunk my English exam cause they are in my face in the college library wanting me to trash myself by screaming out I am white privilege. To any of the protestors it to me is a great topic to discuss 1 on 1. But you get some mob trying to make me do something like declare white privilege, f*** them all.

Let it go.

I read that article and it's a good one. Yes there is white privilege benefiting those like my friend and the guy who wrote the article despite their being poor. I mean I'll sign a document saying I recognize white privilege if that's what the protestors want.

You won't be bullied into saying it, but you'll sign a document?

But I'm not going to let them intimidate me like I've done something wrong in merely existing. Issues like this make me wonder if the races will ever truly co-exist. I guarantee you there are asshole rich white business owners who would never hire an African American over a white. There are cops who will always be mean to blacks. So what's the solution?

Part of the solution is getting more people to at least realize that it exists. Which seems to be happening more and more.

It's not going around as a mob knocking on doors demanding the residents admit their white privilege.

Seriously, let it go.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Now you're starting to get it.

Part of the solution is getting more people to at least realize that it exists. Which seems to be happening more and more.

My point is anybody who is not mentally challenged knows white privilege exists. Of course there are inherent advantages to being born white. The enemy here is the rich white bastard and his offspring who run the country because of their wealth. They are the people they need to admit their white privilege. They are the ones who never hire African Americans. They are the ones who deep down are probably happy when cops rough up African Americans so everything will always be the same. The Black Lives Matter protestors need to march in front of the homes of these 1 percenters. They are the ones who won't admit their privilege.

But as usual they go after the little guy. Of course I understand there is white privilege. My answer to that is ... what do you want me to do about it? The protestors aren't going after the rich f***s, so why should I go tell them to admit privilege or educate them? Of course I acknowledge it, but I am not going to acknowledge anything to some angry rude classless mob telling me to admit it. Tell the rich white f***s about it; don't tell me or my friend, the guy who faced all odds with his mother dumping him on abusive grandparents who basically made him a maid and made him pay his own freight even as a young kid.

Now he's a millionaire and not so eager to rekindle any kind of relationships with his family.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
My point is anybody who is not mentally challenged knows white privilege exists. Of course there are inherent advantages to being born white. The enemy here is the rich white bastard and his offspring who run the country because of their wealth. They are the people they need to admit their white privilege. They are the ones who never hire African Americans. They are the ones who deep down are probably happy when cops rough up African Americans so everything will always be the same. The Black Lives Matter protestors need to march in front of the homes of these 1 percenters. They are the ones who won't admit their privilege.

But as usual they go after the little guy. Of course I understand there is white privilege. My answer to that is ... what do you want me to do about it? The protestors aren't going after the rich f***s, so why should I go tell them to admit privilege or educate them? Of course I acknowledge it, but I am not going to acknowledge anything to some angry rude classless mob telling me to admit it. Tell the rich white f***s about it; don't tell me or my friend, the guy who faced all odds with his mother dumping him on abusive grandparents who basically made him a maid and made him pay his own freight even as a young kid.

Now he's a millionaire and not so eager to rekindle any kind of relationships with his family.

You need to read up on intersectionality.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)

What are the racial makeups of traffic stops like in your city? Have you ever checked? What is required in your city to charge an officer with a crime? Does an officer have to have intent to kill someone in order for charges to be filed? Do you vote for politicians who promise to get tough on crime in certain districts and have you ever thought about what that actually means?

Did you read the article on BLM protestors clogging the highway in Memphis and preventing a baby from getting to the hospital?

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/13/blac...d-for-hospital/

I'm telling you, protestors are making it so easy on the cops. If you protest on a highway they are gonna be rounding you up and throwing you in paddywagons by the dozens. If you are one of those ringleader protestors and you are impeding traffic on a highway, you are making it so easy for the cops to single you out and arrest you.

Some of these younger protestors are going to regret this someday. This new habit of protesting on the highway gives the cops an excuse (public safety) to immediately arrest protestors and throw them in the slammer. Charges can be serious, too.

WHoever came up with this new trend of not just marching on sidewalks but sitting on highways is the cops' new hero. "Place your hands behind you; you are under arrest."

• 2 months later...

Trouble in Columbia, Mo. A fraternity is suspended cause some members screamed racial insults and got caught doing it on tape. The N word. Seriously ... how can any white person yell that at people? Where do college students develop such hatred? I'm like all of you. I don't look at color ... at all. Why do some people hate their fellow human beings just cause of color??

Sickening. I wonder if Mizzou will still exist in a couple years at this rate.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
Trouble in Columbia, Mo. A fraternity is suspended cause some members screamed racial insults and got caught doing it on tape. The N word. Seriously ... how can any white person yell that at people? Where do college students develop such hatred? I'm like all of you. I don't look at color ... at all. Why do some people hate their fellow human beings just cause of color??

:lol:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)

Have you been following Trump for the last two years and the barely "coded" treatment of Obama for the last eight?

Racism was still there, but now the permission (validated by Trump) seemingly exists for it to come out of hiding again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
Why laugh. You can't have students shouting the N word at people without grave repercussions, meaning enrollment declines of monumental proportions. People have to start behaving.

It's fine, we'll just send more students from here in China to pay the exponentially increasing international student fees.

Weird thing, I've never had a student in a decade mentioning a desire to go to Mizzou.

The Big Ten is really doing a much better marketing job...although obviously having NW, Michigan, Illinois, etc., helps to lift the overall profile of conference schools. Purdue, Penn State and Iowa have a ton of Asian students now as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 01:28 AM)
It's fine, we'll just send more students from here in China to pay the exponentially increasing international student fees.

Weird thing, I've never had a student in a decade mentioning a desire to go to Mizzou.

The Big Ten is really doing a much better marketing job...although obviously having NW, Michigan, Illinois, etc., helps to lift the overall profile of conference schools. Purdue, Penn State and Iowa have a ton of Asian students now as well.

How is Kansas doing recruiting? Nonexistent?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)

The journalism school will always be the crown jewel. It draws in tons of Chinese students.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 09:41 PM)
The journalism school will always be the crown jewel. It draws in tons of Chinese students.

Yes, but not when the choice is Medill...

And honestly, there just aren't incredible amounts interested in journalism because of the lack of press freedom. While it may seem significant numbers-wise at one school or department, it's still barely a blip on the radar compared to math/engineering, computer science and business/economics/finance/MBA.

I imagine many of those studying journalism plan to stay/work abroad after graduation.

Even that's getting more complicated with Canada now agreeing to extradict "financial criminals" wanted back in China...they really don't want any more Chinese money flooding the Vancouver housing market.

Edited by caulfield12