Judge deciding whether to reveal police shooting video

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
@chicagotribune: 'This isn't about a stunning, isolated event. Zoom out,' via @Trib_ed_board https://t.co/ZoEmy53oYX https://t.co/41LYt4Y00X

The system should have identified Van Dyke as a ticking time bomb. IPRA records show he was named in 17 citizen complaints — including three alleging excessive force — since 2006. All but two of them have been resolved, and none resulted in discipline.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Chicago tried to cover up a police execution

“The real issue here is, this terrible thing happened, how did our governmental institutions respond?” Kalven said. “And from everything we’ve learned, compulsively at every level, from the cops on the scene to the highest levels of government, they responded by circling the wagons and by fabricating a narrative that they knew was completely false.” To him this response is “part of a systemic problem” and preserves “the underlying conditions that allow abuse and shield abuse.”

In April, the Chicago Tribune revealed Van Dyke’s name and his history of civilian complaints—including several brutality complaints, one of which cost the city $500,000 in a civil lawsuit—none of which resulted in any disciplinary action. In May, Carol Marin reported that video from a security camera at a Burger King on the scene had apparently been deleted by police in the hours after the shooting.

“This case shows the operation of the code of silence in the Chicago Police Department,” said Futterman. “From the very start you have officers and detectives conspiring to cover up the story. The question is, why are they not being charged?”

Van Dyke’s history “also shows what happens when the police department consistently chooses not to look at patterns of abuse complaints when investigating misconduct charges,” he adds. This failure “is one of the reasons an officer like Van Dyke has an opportunity to execute a 17-year-old kid.”

Rather than acknowledging the systemic failures, Mayor Rahm Emanuel is now trying to frame the issue as the action of one bad officer, as the Tribune reports. “One individual needs to be held accountable,” he said Monday.

Kalven calls Emanuel’s “reframing” of the narrative “essentially false.” He points out that “everything we know now, the city knew from Day One. They had the officers on the scene. They knew there were witnesses. They had the autopsy, they had the video…. They maintained a false narrative about those events, and they did it for a year, when it could have been corrected almost immediately….They spent a year stonewalling any calls for transparency, any information about the case.”

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)
They need to seriously consider obstruction charges or something for the cops who erased the surveillance footage at the Burger King.

And for the ones who helped fabricate the initial cover-up story. The rot runs up to the top on this one.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Alvarez's explanation for why it took over a year, that it's different because he's a cop whereas she can charge a gangbanger in a day, was...less than satisfying. Rahm's press conference was also a big train wreck.

Tough to tell the truth: we had to wait for the elections to end!

Sounds like State's Attorney wanted to charge a long time ago but was waiting on the federal investigation to complete. Not sure what value there is in waiting for that, unless they thought the Feds could put together more evidence somehow than their office could.

Also, watched the video. Yeah that's murder, completely unjustified.

And I agree that Rahm saying he signed off on a $5M settlement without knowing a video existed - when it was Police dash cam and would have to be in the most basic core of evidence - is a bad, bad look.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
Sounds like State's Attorney wanted to charge a long time ago but was waiting on the federal investigation to complete. Not sure what value there is in waiting for that, unless they thought the Feds could put together more evidence somehow than their office could.

Also, watched the video. Yeah that's murder, completely unjustified.

And I agree that Rahm saying he signed off on a $5M settlement without knowing a video existed - when it was Police dash cam and would have to be in the most basic core of evidence - is a bad, bad look.

Serious question - what's the process for the City to settle cases (I've had dealings with settling cases with cities in a couple states, but never Chicago)? Does it go to the City Council? Would the mayor have his hand in it? How detailed is the presentation?

I guess my question here is whether it would be ordinary course for the City of Chicago to sign off on a $5M settlement without knowing there was a video...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Serious question - what's the process for the City to settle cases (I've had dealings with settling cases with cities in a couple states, but never Chicago)? Does it go to the City Council? Would the mayor have his hand in it? How detailed is the presentation?

I guess my question here is whether it would be ordinary course for the City of Chicago to sign off on a $5M settlement without knowing there was a video...

Usually handled by city attorneys and then they go before the council for approval of anything over 100k. I'd imagine, though I don't know for sure, that the Mayor is in the loop.

edit: and they knew there was video. They've always known. I bet the Mayor's office new within a few days. The question was whether the video was ever going to be released to the public.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)

Unless I'm crazy, this says council knew there was a video: sun times

Edited by G&T

I can't even add anything except that the institutional response is horrifying. Our institutions of power have been set up with it being far too difficult for individuals to do the right thing when these situations are in motion.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
I can't even add anything except that the institutional response is horrifying. Our institutions of power have been set up with it being far too difficult for individuals to do the right thing when these situations are in motion.

Agreed on all.

So, I say this being formerly in law enforcement... it disturbs me when city/county/state governments are so afraid of their own police that they sign contracts with their unions that so fully and easily protect bad cops. I'm all for unions for police, and for those unions to fight for protections, but when those protections get so absurdly huge that it takes an act of Congress to get all the evidence to the right people, it has gone too far.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1119...shooting-victim

This is truly heartbreaking. This poor kid has been let down by every single adult in his life. Was it his mother who received the 5 million? Thats pretty messed up that she got money after her kid was taken away from her for abuse more than once and it says he was "a ward of the state" when he was killed. It would be nice to see that money go to helping more kids like Laquan than to his mother.

Also, I couldnt find much info about it but it mentions he was sexually abused in foster care and DCFS never investigated. There is so much wrong with this whole situation you dont even know where to begin to try to fix it.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1119...shooting-victim

This is truly heartbreaking. This poor kid has been let down by every single adult in his life. Was it his mother who received the 5 million? Thats pretty messed up that she got money after her kid was taken away from her for abuse more than once and it says he was "a ward of the state" when he was killed. It would be nice to see that money go to helping more kids like Laquan than to his mother.

Also, I couldnt find much info about it but it mentions he was sexually abused in foster care and DCFS never investigated. There is so much wrong with this whole situation you dont even know where to begin to try to fix it.

Damn I wish I didnt know all the f***ed up facts about this story. Everything about it is just flat out unfair.

Ignorance is bliss.