Judge deciding whether to reveal police shooting video

southsider2k5

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1119...shooting-victim

This is truly heartbreaking. This poor kid has been let down by every single adult in his life. Was it his mother who received the 5 million? Thats pretty messed up that she got money after her kid was taken away from her for abuse more than once and it says he was "a ward of the state" when he was killed. It would be nice to see that money go to helping more kids like Laquan than to his mother.

Also, I couldnt find much info about it but it mentions he was sexually abused in foster care and DCFS never investigated. There is so much wrong with this whole situation you dont even know where to begin to try to fix it.

THIS is what people should be protesting about.

Rahm fired McCarthy to cover his ass.

I thought McCarthy did a pretty good job actually. I know the rank and file liked him which maybe is not a good thing but those are the guys that need to be appeased as they still are responsible for doing the police work.

So now Rahm's Chief of Police and Superintendent of Public Schools are both fired

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Rahm fired McCarthy to cover his ass.

I thought McCarthy did a pretty good job actually. I know the rank and file liked him which maybe is not a good thing but those are the guys that need to be appeased as they still are responsible for doing the police work.

So now Rahm's Chief of Police and Superintendent of Public Schools are both fired

But don't worry! He's creating a task force! A task force to ensure police officer accountability.... you know, like the duties of the top brass at the CPD!! All is good! What a friggin' joke.

It'd be really amazing if people in this city voted for unknown Republicans just once. Just to shake up the corruption for one cycle. Just one.

He deserved to be fired for his terrible performance, but highly doubtful new police chief puts in new reforms to help prevent systemic cover ups of overreaching actions of police. I do not see how anything other than a civilian review board can help break this. Civilians are already very deferential to police defense in all trials, the "witchhunt" angle certainly seems like an exaggeration.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
But don't worry! He's creating a task force! A task force to ensure police officer accountability.... you know, like the duties of the top brass at the CPD!! All is good! What a friggin' joke.

It'd be really amazing if people in this city voted for unknown Republicans just once. Just to shake up the corruption for one cycle. Just one.

Republicans are immune to corruption? Who knew...

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
Republicans are immune to corruption? Who knew...

I don't care what party they're in. Just bring in entirely new politicians, in every spot. Even the inevitable incompetence of people learning on the job would be better than the status quo.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
I don't care what party they're in. Just bring in entirely new politicians, in every spot. Even the inevitable incompetence of people learning on the job would be better than the status quo.

This I can get behind. In Chicago it's not necessarily the D it's more of the clique they built over decades. If you're in that little clique, you shouldn't be able to sniff politics in this city.

Enough is enough.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
I think in any given locality, the minority party is less prone to corruption because the system does not have their back.

And in the case of Chicago politics, how many Republicans are there? It'd be an entirely new set of people so less likely to be from a corrupt family/group.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
This I can get behind. In Chicago it's not necessarily the D it's more of the clique they built over decades. If you're in that little clique, you shouldn't be able to sniff politics in this city.

Enough is enough.

It's so ingrained though. You're not getting a city council position, judge appointment, garbage collector department head job, etc. unless you know someone in the system and have paid your dues.

edit: and who's our next mayor? Most likely Preckwinkle. And whose camp is she in? Rahm's. She's part of the same cog.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
It's so ingrained though. You're not getting a city council position, judge appointment, garbage collector department head job, etc. unless you know someone in the system and have paid your dues.

edit: and who's our next mayor? Most likely Preckwinkle. And whose camp is she in? Rahm's. She's part of the same cog.

The people of Chicago need to step up their game and put people in office that don't treat running the city like a private tea-party.

If it's a R or D, it doesn't matter. Chicago is too elite of a city to be dragged down by worthless politicians.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
UIC student that was threatening to do this at U of C

I know, but the OP said that UIC was shut down when it was U of C that was shut down.

My sister goes to U of C. She came back home for the day. The guy who made the threat is just an imbecile.