Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
I believe we end up with Gordon as well. I always thought the Cespedes stuff was to drive Gordon's price down.

I don't think it has anything to do with driving down his price, but more of a way to say the Sox are not going to wait much longer. It should be pretty clear to everyone that Gordon wants to go back to K.C., but isn't willing to accept the garbage they're currently offering. My guess is he is sitting on several offers from the Sox/other teams and is most likely using them as leverage to get the Royals to increase their bid. I truly believe raBBit when he says the Sox prefer Gordon, but will be happy if they land any of the big 3. The worst case scenario is to waste too much time on Gordon and eventually miss out on Cespedes without something concrete in the works with the other two. Might as well throw some leaks out there about being close with Cespedes and see if that speeds up Gordon's decision-making process.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
All of the fake tweets the other night shifted our focus to Cespedes, but it seems like Gordon has been the target all along.

There are benefits to both, obviously, but Gordon's left-handed bat and lower price tag might be the tipping point.

what about gordon 4 years $80 million to cespedes 5 years $110 million

Edited by peavy44

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
All of the fake tweets the other night shifted our focus to Cespedes, but it seems like Gordon has been the target all along.

There are benefits to both, obviously, but Gordon's left-handed bat and lower price tag might be the tipping point.

This may sound bad, but they need one. They're obviously not the same player, but the White Sox need one guy.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
what about gordon 4 years $80 million to cespedes 5 years $110 million

Cespedes is going to get more than 5/$110. And I suspect Gordon will end up closer to 4/$75. But a lot of that depends on who signs first for how much.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
This may sound bad, but they need one. They're obviously not the same player, but the White Sox need one guy.

Agreed. To me, not getting one of these guys makes the Frazier trade seem a lot less meaningful.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Despite what the Chicago media likes to report, his contract is hardly a discount. He'll make way more money in the long run with the Cubs contract structure.

According to all media accounts, he was offered more money elsewhere. If this is true then there were others things that played into signing the contract with the cubs.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
According to all media accounts, he was offered more money elsewhere. If this is true then there were others things that played into signing the contract with the cubs.

Yes, substantially more money the first 3 years of the deal with an earlier opt-out than other clubs were offering.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Despite what the Chicago media likes to report, his contract is hardly a discount. He'll make way more money in the long run with the Cubs contract structure.

Exactly. What's is AAV in the deal if he opts out after three years? And he'll most likely be looking at a $200M contract at that time from his next team. He didn't take a discount whatsoever, he simply took the over that maximized his potential earnings while also providing a nice security blanket if something went wrong for him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)

Overall, but with the opt outs, if he is any good, he will make more. The players association doesn't like players, especially the really big names taking discounts. That is why I doubt Gordon would go back to the Royals if their offer is significantly less than any other team. A slight discount is fine, but a large one would be a no no.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Exactly. What's is AAV in the deal if he opts out after three years? And he'll most likely be looking at a $200M contract at that time from his next team. He didn't take a discount whatsoever, he simply took the over that maximized his potential earnings while also providing a nice security blanket if something went wrong for him.

Weren't there reports that he was offered 200 million by other teams? By his own admission during interviews, he was offered more money elsewhere. He did not however specify the amount.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Weren't there reports that he was offered 200 million by other teams? By his own admission during interviews, he was offered more money elsewhere. He did not however specify the amount.

Technically he was, but without the opt outs when he gets his money the first 3 years and then signs another huge contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Overall, but with the opt outs, if he is any good, he will make more. The players association doesn't like players, especially the really big names taking discounts. That is why I doubt Gordon would go back to the Royals if their offer is significantly less than any other team. A slight discount is fine, but a large one would be a no no.

So, in other words, he signed this deal due to the opt outs not the most money in the deal. He signed it with the possibility of more money later not more money now.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
So, in other words, he signed this deal due to the opt outs not the most money in the deal. He signed it with the possibility of more money later not more money now.

He took guaranteed less, but the option of getting another HUGE contract in three years, and if he sucks or is horrifically injured, he still gets a substantial guarantee.