Giants sign Cueto - 6 years, $130M

GGajewski18

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1h1 hour ago

Sources: #SFGiants making strong push for Cueto.

For #SFGiants, Peavy, Pagan, Romo, Lopez, Casilla deals expire after ’16, Cain after ’17. Could backload Cueto way they did with Samardzija.

#SFGiants will pay Samardzija $9 million in 2016, $18M annually from ’17-’20.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 38m38 minutes ago

One person familiar with Cueto's market thinks he might "do better'' than 6 yr, $120-126M offer he spurned from #Dbacks.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 16m16 minutes ago

#Dodgers and #STLCards, both of whom dabbled in Cueto market, seemed hesitant to go near #Dbacks 6 yr, $120-126 offer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
Geeze...Dodgers have stood pat (and really got worse with the loss of Greinke) while Dbacks and Giants have aggressively made moves. Tough division. A year ago Pads failed but went aggressive too. Everyone in that division (but Rocks) seems to want it.

Amazing how bad the Dodgers personnel decisions have been going back to last year's trade deadline.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
Geeze...Dodgers have stood pat (and really got worse with the loss of Greinke) while Dbacks and Giants have aggressively made moves. Tough division. A year ago Pads failed but went aggressive too. Everyone in that division (but Rocks) seems to want it.

i know, even thou this is not a finished deal, i am wondering what the dodgers are thinking.

with that payroll, they have to commit to an upgrade of some sorts.

now, and this is my pipe-dream, if cueto does goes with the giants, then maybe if the sox are so incline to made a trade. the market will be there for a big time rtn.

just my thoughts.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
i know, even thou this is not a finished deal, i am wondering what the dodgers are thinking.

with that payroll, they have to commit to an upgrade of some sorts.

now, and this is my pipe-dream, if cueto does goes with the giants, then maybe if the sox are so incline to made a trade. the market will be there for a big time rtn.

just my thoughts.

Maybe they realized that they can't just keep spending on over priced players, who don't seem to be able to perform to that high level consistently? These contratcs are going to come back and bite these clubs

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
Maybe they realized that they can't just keep spending on over priced players, who don't seem to be able to perform to that high level consistently? These contratcs are going to come back and bite these clubs

they did say that they wanted to get better cost control players, b/c as you said the salary at where it stands now. so that proves your point.

it would be nice on a trade for multi pieces from both the sox and the dodgers,

but i can only dream.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)

another excellent point, look at the phillies, after their last WS title. they were burden with all those heavy contracts.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
Amazing how bad the Dodgers personnel decisions have been going back to last year's trade deadline.

Its hard to blame them, since they have a fantastic farm system that should help them, but Andrew and the GM are clearly putting a ton of faith in the develoment of those kids. If they don't pan out, they are done. Trading them for vets would have been the safer move, especially given the payroll they have to work with. That said, I think they are under somewhat of an order to minimize future payroll. They will always spend but I don't think they will have the blank check they did when they first jumped in. The company that owns them, owns them to make money.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
Its hard to blame them, since they have a fantastic farm system that should help them, but Andrew and the GM are clearly putting a ton of faith in the develoment of those kids. If they don't pan out, they are done. Trading them for vets would have been the safer move, especially given the payroll they have to work with. That said, I think they are under somewhat of an order to minimize future payroll. They will always spend but I don't think they will have the blank check they did when they first jumped in. The company that owns them, owns them to make money.

but they are laden with 3 of'er whose contracts are huge.

I think the Dodgers reluctance to deal certain players from their farm show their intended direction and confirms what others have said about the Dodgers looking for more cost controlled players. The Dodgers have not been willing to trade guys like Pederson, Seager and Barnes who will be with the '16 team and then pitchers such as Urias and DeLeon in '17. Now they have Peraza to throw into the mix. The Dodgers clearly have a plan based on their plethora of youthful prospects.

Anyway. Giants interested in Cueto huh? Cueto should pitch well in the NLW ballpark's ( excluding Coors ) but I can't help but wonder if all the innings he's thrown comes back to bite him in a year or two. Big gamble imo. Glad the Sox aren't in on Cueto.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 10:03 PM)
I think the Dodgers reluctance to deal certain players from their farm show their intended direction and confirms what others have said about the Dodgers looking for more cost controlled players. The Dodgers have not been willing to trade guys like Pederson, Seager and Barnes who will be with the '16 team and then pitchers such as Urias and DeLeon in '17. Now they have Peraza to throw into the mix. The Dodgers clearly have a plan based on their plethora of youthful prospects.

Anyway. Giants interested in Cueto huh? Cueto should pitch well in the NLW ballpark's ( excluding Coors ) but I can't help but wonder if all the innings he's thrown comes back to bite him in a year or two. Big gamble imo. Glad the Sox aren't in on Cueto.

but if they don't trade some of these excellent prospects, then they may not make the playoff.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
Interesting to see if he got as much as AZ offered or if that decision to turn it down cost him $.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 7m7 minutes ago

cueto deal will be for more than he turned down with AZ. buster olney 1st with agreement.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
but if they don't trade some of these excellent prospects, then they may not make the playoff.

With the moves AZ and SF have made, the Dodgers may not make the playoffs anyway. The Dodgers didn't develop/trade for their youth only to turn around and trade them. The philosophy in their FO has changed and they are infusing more youth into the entire organization. The Dodgers have been looking to trim payroll for a few years now and what they have been doing the last few years is spending huge in the international and domestic markets to build their farm and develop players that can replace the high cost veterans they have now when those veterans contracts are up. The Dodgers are going to look alot different in 1-3 years with alot more youth that can be locked up long term so they don't have to rely so heavily on free agency. I don't like the Dodgers but I have a tremendous amount of respect for their approach/philosophy.

Anyhoot. Cueto signed for 6/130M and an opt-out after 2 years huh. Giants better be praying that arm holds up long enough for Cueto to opt-out or say hello to their new Zito.

Edited by BlackSox13

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 11m11 minutes ago

Source: Cueto, #SFGiants in agreement on six-year deal for more than $120M, pending physical. Agreement first reported: @Buster_ESPN.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 12m12 minutes ago

Johnny Cueto's deal with #SFGiants is for six years and $130M with an opt out after 2 years.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 10:48 PM)
With the moves AZ and SF have made, the Dodgers may not make the playoffs anyway. The Dodgers didn't develop/trade for their youth only to turn around and trade them. The philosophy in their FO has changed and they are infusing more youth into the entire organization. The Dodgers have been looking to trim payroll for a few years now and what they have been doing the last few years is spending huge in the international and domestic markets to build their farm and develop players that can replace the high cost veterans they have now when those veterans contracts are up. The Dodgers are going to look alot different in 1-3 years with alot more youth that can be locked up long term so they don't have to rely so heavily on free agency. I don't like the Dodgers but I have a tremendous amount of respect for their approach/philosophy.

Anyhoot. Cueto signed for 6/130M and an opt-out after 2 years huh. Giants better be praying that arm holds up long enough for Cueto to opt-out or say hello to their new Zito.

good point