2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 12:59 AM)
I'm pleased Obama is going to punish Russia for hacking the election. WTF? If we are truly the greatest FREE nation we can't stand for that kind of bulls***.

I hope it's a SEVERE punishment handed to Russia. f*** them. Hit em where it hurts, Mr. Obama. Thank you.

What exactly is your favorite president going to do?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 12:59 AM)
I'm pleased Obama is going to punish Russia for hacking the election. WTF? If we are truly the greatest FREE nation we can't stand for that kind of bulls***.

I hope it's a SEVERE punishment handed to Russia. f*** them. Hit em where it hurts, Mr. Obama. Thank you.

Yes, hit them where it hurts for a month, then transfer power to a guy who's in bed with Putin. That'll work.

Fake news is a convenient scapegoat, but the big 2016 problem was the real news

The stories about Clinton’s email server, the separate spate of stories about Clinton Foundation emails revealed through Freedom of Information Act requests, and the third spate of stories about emails stolen from John Podesta’s email account were not fake news.

They were very real stories that totally normal mainstream media organizations chose to make the focal point of their coverage of the 2016 campaign. This coverage, though extremely extensive, did an extraordinarily poor job of explaining the actual legal issue at stake in the server matter. Network television newscasts from ABC, NBC, and CBS chose to devote three times as much airtime to Clinton’s email server as they gave to all policy issues combined. The Associated Press ran a major investigative story into Clinton Foundation influence peddling that treated a meeting with a Nobel Peace Prize winner as evidence of an insidious pay-to-play scheme. The New York Times did a Clinton Foundation investigation that treated Bill Clinton successfully rescuing American hostages from North Korea as scandalous. The fact that public health experts believe the Clinton Foundation saved millions of lives, by contrast, played extremely little role in 2016 campaign coverage.

The sum total of this media coverage — real stories based on editorial decisions about how to weight and present real facts — was to give the public the impression that two similarly ethically flawed candidates were running against each other in an election with low policy stakes. The reporters and editors responsible for that coverage can reasonably (if a bit absurdly) consider themselves proud of the work that led the public to that conclusion, or they can consider themselves ashamed of it. But the idea that voters were moved by fake stories about the pope rather than all-too-real ones about email servers is a preposterous evasion.

emails.png

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Yes, hit them where it hurts for a month, then transfer power to a guy who's in bed with Putin. That'll work.

Unleashing cyber attacks would be capable of opening up the very rich information of all of putin's dealings with his oligarch base. It can open up avenues for dissent to be heard. It undermines his power within Russia. That is still powerful regardless of what happens on inauguration day.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Unleashing cyber attacks would be capable of opening up the very rich information of all of putin's dealings with his oligarch base. It can open up avenues for dissent to be heard. It undermines his power within Russia. That is still powerful regardless of what happens on inauguration day.

Did anyone in Russia give a s*** when all of his shady dealings related to the Panama Papers came out?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
Did anyone in Russia give a s*** when all of his shady dealings related to the Panama Papers came out?

The coverage you saw of this was more than any would have seen from within Russia, and part of a cyber attack would be to open up commnucation areas for dissidents currently shut down. But obviously yes people did care in Russia, and the state as always uses their media monopoly to turn it into "US propoganda "

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
The coverage you saw of this was more than any would have seen from within Russia, and part of a cyber attack would be to open up commnucation areas for dissidents currently shut down. But obviously yes people did care in Russia, and the state as always uses their media monopoly to turn it into "US propoganda "

Oh joy, so we're going to open up communications lines for russian dissidents and then turn control of those open lines to a person elected with the help of Russia in a month. I'm sure no one can see any potential issue for low level Russian dissidents using that type of system.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Oh joy, so we're going to open up communications lines for russian dissidents and then turn control of those open lines to a person elected with the help of Russia in a month. I'm sure no one can see any potential issue for low level Russian dissidents using that type of system.

lol

You mean giving a way for Russia to prosecute dissidents may not be the best way to "punish" Putin?

Go figure.

If you really want to hurt Putin, youd have to do something like hack into the banks and take his money. Otherwise youd have to hope to find information on Ramzan Kadyrov or someone else who could actually be a thorn in the side of Putin. I mean finding Putin insulting Kadyrov or Chechnya, maybe hurts him.

Even if they find a smoking gun on Crimea, I just feel that they have information to blackmail Trump so it wont go anywhere.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
lol

You mean giving a way for Russia to prosecute dissidents may not be the best way to "punish" Putin?

Go figure.

If you really want to hurt Putin, youd have to do something like hack into the banks and take his money. Otherwise youd have to hope to find information on Ramzan Kadyrov or someone else who could actually be a thorn in the side of Putin. I mean finding Putin insulting Kadyrov or Chechnya, maybe hurts him.

Even if they find a smoking gun on Crimea, I just feel that they have information to blackmail Trump so it wont go anywhere.

No, I mean that if I were a Russian dissident, would I want to give any of my contact information to an American provided network, when that contact information could be "accidentally" leaked to a Russian agency starting January 20?

That sounds like a great way for a lot of Russian dissidents to wind up identified and dead.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
No, I mean that if I were a Russian dissident, would I want to give any of my contact information to an American provided network, when that contact information could be "accidentally" leaked to a Russian agency starting January 20?

That sounds like a great way for a lot of Russian dissidents to wind up identified and dead.

I was agreeing with you that any help towards dissidents or invitation for dissidents to help could end up in their arrest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)

Yeah, I don't think we are going to provide air america. And you assume that dissidents need to create the ocntent vs the content just being hosted ala DCLeaks and not suppressed. And that is assuming US capabilities only equal the response of Russian tactics in US, which, is underestimating.

Also worth noting that a new law waiting for Obama's signature gives any administration that wants it far more editorial control over Radio Free Europe/Voice of America broadcasts, so even that type of material that during the cold war was one of America's ways to support dissidents is now going to be whatever the administration wants it to be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Oh, and just to interject this one, who wants to watch an all white crowd at a school in Missouri where the basketball team is all white turn their backs on an all-black basketball team while at least one person held up a Trump sign?

At least the home team lost.

The student section turns their back to the opposing team at every game, black or white, but that doesn't fit the narrative. Although the kid that held up the Trump sign is an idiot.,

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
Pretty disappointed that Obama thinks that coming into the Oval Office will "sober up" Trump. What has he ever done to convince him that he won't walk in and just start pissing on the floor like he's done with everything else in his life?

What do you want him to do?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
The student section turns their back to the opposing team at every game, black or white, but that doesn't fit the narrative. Although the kid that held up the Trump sign is an idiot.,

Thank you for the extra detail.