2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
See, right there you're putting these two examples in a Putin category. That's the extreme position i'm calling out as BS. Trump responding to an individual on Twitter is not even remotely in the same realm as what Putin does. Trump getting a royalty check (IF that even happens!) is not the same as him using the government to advance his own business interests, let alone a way in which he can control the media Putin-style.

Trump is getting money from a private company

He has not divested from his own company

He has put his children in charge of his own company

He has had his children in meetings with heads of state that happen to have influence over projects that his own company is involved in.

The appearance of conflicts of interest is an issue.

He is getting paid by Comcast/NBC. There is a current merger for AT&T and Time Warner.

THATS BAD. It may not influence him, but there's no reason for it to be happening.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
He's going to prison? Yesssssssssssss

Wait, Pence would be president. Noooooooooooo

I'll take Mike Pence as President. I will have substantially less fear that I'm going to have to hide people in my attic to keep them away from the government.

“You're increasingly being compared to Hitler,” ABC News' George Stephanopoulos said during an interview with Trump on “Good Morning America” Tuesday. “Does that give you any pause at all?”

“No,” Trump responded, “because what I am doing is no different than what FDR — FDR's solution for Germans, Italians, Japanese, you know, many years ago.”

Stephanopoulos jumped in as Trump kept talking: “So you're for internment camps?”

“This is a president who is highly respected by all,” Trump said of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. “He did the same thing — if you look at what he was doing, it was far worse.”

Trump's answer was confusing and meandering but he seemed to be making the point that during times of war, more extreme measures must be used.

“We are now at war,” Trump said. “We have a president that doesn't want to say that, but we are now at war.”

“I've got to press you on that, sir,”Stephanopoulos said. “So you're praising FDR there, I take it you're praising the setting up of internment camps for Japanese during World War II?”

“No, I'm not,” Trump responded. “No, I'm not. No, I'm not.”

Trump then rattled off the numbers of some of the presidential proclamations Roosevelt issued “having to do with alien Germans, alien Italians, alien Japanese.”

“They went through a whole list of things — they couldn't go five miles from their homes, they weren't allowed to use radios, flashlights,” Trump said. “Take a look at what FDR did many years ago, and he's one of the most highly respected presidents... They named highways after him.”

Stephanopoulos responded: “You want to bring back policies like that?”

After a pause, Trump responded: “No, I don't to bring it back, George. At all. I don't like doing it at all. It's a temporary measure until our representatives, many of whom are grossly incompetent, until our representatives can figure out what's going on.”

I don't like internment, but it's a temporary measure.

That is horrifying. That is what you need to keep in mind and compound with his attacks on private citizens for criticizing him. That's why I'm legitimately fearful of authoritarianism coming to this country--it can't happen here, until it does.

Pence would just set up camps to electroshock your LGBT friends and relatives, though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
That is horrifying. That is what you need to keep in mind and compound with his attacks on private citizens for criticizing him. That's why I'm legitimately fearful of authoritarianism coming to this country--it can't happen here, until it does.

Pence would just set up camps to electroshock your LGBT friends and relatives, though.

He might believe in it but he hasn't, even in Indiana, made that government policy by force. He's made discrimination government policy and yes that's terrible, but he hasn't sent in the police to round up people for that treatment.

That's Gestapo s***. The stuff I just read right there is "Every one of you if you are a decent human being, find a muslim and offer them your attic". We cannot be those people.

Supreme court would not let that happen, as one, congress has not declared war. But as much as I hate Ryan for being a flake and pushing a brutal agenda, there is no way that guy does not reach out to democrats to stop that.

But nothing has been real for a while.

Honestly, a President even openly musing or trying to pre-justify prison camps for Muslims in the year 2016 should be grounds for impeachment.

eta: or when he calls for the execution of people who were exonerated by DNA evidence years after their exoneration, which got surprisingly less coverage than EMAILS OMG EMAILS this year.

Edited by StrangeSox

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald...4b058ce7aaaf3c0

The conflict with Trump Intl Hotel in DC...foreign countries wanting to book it to curry more favorable reception or treatment...and, most alarming, dealing with the GSA, which he would obviously be in a position to influence in their bidding/negotiation process with the government over his own leased property.

This one ranks right up there. Supposedly he dumped all the stock related to the Dakota pipeline, but there's no way of knowing what his hedge finds are holding in their portfolios.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Honestly, a President even openly musing or trying to pre-justify prison camps for Muslims in the year 2016 should be grounds for impeachment.

eta: or when he calls for the execution of people who were exonerated by DNA evidence years after their exoneration, which got surprisingly less coverage than EMAILS OMG EMAILS this year.

As far as the first part goes, he has some cover if Europe splinters apart and the right takes over...and every country is essentially formulating their own policies regarding migrants/refugees.

Especially if Merkel's govnt falls, France goes to the le Pens, Netherlands and Belgium, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald...4b058ce7aaaf3c0

The conflict with Trump Intl Hotel in DC...foreign countries wanting to book it to curry more favorable reception or treatment...and, most alarming, dealing with the GSA, which he would obviously be in a position to influence in their bidding/negotiation process with the government over his own leased property.

This one ranks right up there. Supposedly he dumped all the stock related to the Dakota pipeline, but there's no way of knowing what his hedge finds are holding in their portfolios.

He said he dumped all stock in June across board, which there should be filings for.

Of course, we could just get his tax returns.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
Supreme court would not let that happen, as one, congress has not declared war. But as much as I hate Ryan for being a flake and pushing a brutal agenda, there is no way that guy does not reach out to democrats to stop that.

But nothing has been real for a while.

If you're counting on Paul Ryan to save this country's soul, he's made it very clear he'll sacrifice that for lower taxes. And if you're counting on the Supreme Court to save it...we saved Donald Trump a seat so that they won't save it.

Our institutions, the norms, the rule of law don't matter when people stop enforcing those things as a tradeoff to get what they want.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)

There are provisions for preventing abuses of power in the Constitution, but they're only effective if the other government branches are willing to enforce it. Paul Ryan is a coward, and I don't find much reason to trust the Supreme Court, especially since Trump will get to appoint who he wants now (rightfully Obama's appointment, but again, only to the extent other branches cooperate).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
If you're counting on Paul Ryan to save this country's soul, he's made it very clear he'll sacrifice that for lower taxes. And if you're counting on the Supreme Court to save it...we saved Donald Trump a seat so that they won't save it.

Our institutions, the norms, the rule of law don't matter when people stop enforcing those things as a tradeoff to get what they want.

My post I made just below this may as well be this exact post too.

One reason our Presidential system has remained robust while most others have failed is adherence to longstanding political norms. Those have been breaking down in Congress for a little while now, and now we've set a blowtorch to the ones for the Executive branch.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)

There is no way in hell Anthony Kennedy would allow that, let alone Justice Roberts. Supreme court isn't seriously in trouble unless RBG dies.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
There is no way in hell Anthony Kennedy would allow that, let alone Justice Roberts. Supreme court isn't seriously in trouble unless RBG dies.

I'm honestly not sure if Thomas would, either. He takes some radical positions on a lot of issues, but he's also the most likely to ignore precedent if he thinks its wrong (Korematsu).

Assuming RBG hangs on until the next Democratic President, Kennedy is also why I don't think we'll get a full-blown Roe reversal or getting garbage TRAPP laws like what Texas tried upheld. Kennedy may have taken far too long since Casey to find something that rose to his standard of "undue burden," but he's still there to hold at least that line.

Still pissed at RBG for not retiring when the Dems held the Senate. If she dies while a Republican holds the Presidency (and I guess isn't within the newly discovered 1-year-to-election exclusion period!), decades of progress in the courts will be undone.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)

Roberts cares about his legacy as Chief Justice way too much to allow severe government overreach (on issues that aren't social issues). He's not going to be the vote that keeps Roe v. Wade in tact (Kennedy will remain that vote), but I except that he will vote down any real overreach otherwise.

Echoing the posts above, I have zero faith that Paul Ryan will do anything to stop the Trump agenda.

Women’s March on Washington Barred From Lincoln Memorial

The Lincoln Memorial has been the site for many of the United States’ most historic rallies, from the civil rights and anti-Vietnam protests of the 1960s to the Million Man March in 1995. However, for the thousands of women planning to march on Washington following Donald Trump’s inauguration, the D.C, landmark won’t be available for rallying.

According to The Guardian, the National Park Service, on behalf of the Presidential Inauguration Committee, has blocked access to the landmark by filing a “massive omnibus blocking permit.” This will bar protesters from most of the National Mall, Pennsylvania Avenue, the Washington Monument, and of course, the Lincoln Memorial for days and weeks before, during, and after the inauguration, which will take place on Jan. 20, 2017.

The Women’s March on Washington was organized for January 21, the day following the inauguration and was set to be held at the Lincoln Memorial. According to a Facebook event, over 136,000 people are due to attend. Now, with the blocking of access to many of the spaces commonly used to protest, participants will have to find space elsewhere—no easy feat considering how few public spaces to gather will be free during the time period surrounding the inauguration.

This is what happens when Donald Trump attacks a private citizen on Twitter

About a year ago, 18-year-old college student Lauren Batchelder stood up at a political forum in New Hampshire and told Donald Trump that she didn’t think he was “a friend to women.”

The next morning, Trump fired back on Twitter — calling Batchelder an “arrogant young woman” and accusing her of being a “plant” from a rival campaign. Her phone began ringing with callers leaving threatening messages that were often sexual in nature. Her Facebook and email inboxes filled with similar messages. As her addresses circulated on social media and her photo flashed on the news, she fled home to hide.

“I didn’t really know what anyone was going to do,” said Batchelder, now 19, who has never discussed her experience with a reporter until now. “He was only going to tweet about it and that was it, but I didn’t really know what his supporters were going to do, and that to me was the scariest part.”

This is what happens when Trump targets a private citizen who publicly challenges him.

When Trump tweeted about Batchelder in October 2015, he had fewer than 5 million followers; he now has more than 17 million and has bragged that having a Twitter account is “like owning the New York Times without the losses.” Twitter has become Trump’s cyber-magic wand, allowing him to quickly act on a fleeting idea, a fit of anger or something he sees on television. Now that he is the president-elect, the power of Trump’s tweets has only increased.

For Batchelder, who studies history and gender studies at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, N.H, the abuse continues more than a year later. Five days before the election, she received a Facebook message that read: “Wishing I could f---ing punch you in the face. id then proceed to stomp your head on the curb and urinate in your bloodied mouth and i know where you live, so watch your f---ing back punk.”

After midnight, Trump’s director of social media tweeted out screengrabs of Batchelder’s social-media accounts. Trump’s supporters launched investigations of their own. At 7:39 a.m., Trump tweeted: “The arrogant young woman who questioned me in such a nasty fashion at No Labels yesterday was a Jeb staffer! HOW CAN HE BEAT RUSSIA & CHINA?”

Oil drilling advocate expected be Trump's pick to head Interior Department: sources

Almost finished building his Captain Planet Supervillains team

edit: of course she's yet another climate "skeptic"

would not be surprised to see a decent amount of our public lands sold off to the highest bidders for resource exploitation.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
Oil drilling advocate expected be Trump's pick to head Interior Department: sources

Almost finished building his Captain Planet Supervillains team

edit: of course she's yet another climate "skeptic"

would not be surprised to see a decent amount of our public lands sold off to the highest bidders for resource exploitation.

Captain Planet villains aren't even this transparent.