2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:26 PM)
The First Amendment is not the one I'd hoped would be challenged this election season. Last night was an embarrassment and against everything this country stands for - or at least I thought.

f*** anyone who supports Bernie Sanders right now.

Trump has been challenging the first amendment rights of people in this country for months. Last night people finally got sick of it

And what does Bernie Sanders have to do with anything? Such a weird statement

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
And oh yeah before I forget: please note the irony of "I never thought the first amendment would be challenged" and "we need to ban all Muslims from entering the country until we figure out what the Hell is going on".

Exactly. Trump is literally the one is who challenging the first amendment. He's been doing it for months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
Trump has been challenging the first amendment rights of people in this country for months. Last night people finally got sick of it

And what does Bernie Sanders have to do with anything? Such a weird statement

The protests were organized by his group.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
The protests were organized by his group.

Lol what? That's hilarious. Every person who doesn't want to put up with blatant racism and oppression and decided to protest was because of Sanders? I mean to believe that is amazing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
Lol what? That's hilarious. Every person who doesn't want to put up with blatant racism and oppression and decided to protest was because of Sanders? I mean to believe that is amazing.

It was put together by Moveon.org. The chants were all about bernie sanders. Everyone going into the event were given stuff about bernie sanders. It was well organized. Bernie certainly didn't disavow the violence but rather encouraged it. As we know he should have to disavow that every 15 minutes. I'm sure not every protestor was there for Bernie, just the most organized ones.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
Trump supporters are so gullible.

Chicago in particular has as strong left political base, especially when it comes organizing and protesting.

It's crazy. Trump then said he wants to protect our first amendment and then follows it up with a call to throw out people from his rally. The irony is ridiculous.

You can disagree with the protest's tactics, you can disagree with the protestor's message, you can disagree with Donald Trump's tactics or message as well.

But if your anger over last night is expressed as "What about the first amendment", I ask you to tell me when the city of Chicago or the US Federal Government acted to declare that event illegal. If the President or Mayor stepped in and said "he can't hold this rally because I disagree with him" then you have a correct point. But if that did not happen, then you need to go review the First Amendment, because you haven't understood it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
It was put together by Moveon.org. The chants were all about bernie sanders. Everyone going into the event were given stuff about bernie sanders. It was well organized. Bernie certainly didn't disavow the violence but rather encouraged it. As we know he should have to disavow that every 15 minutes. I'm sure not every protestor was there for Bernie, just the most organized ones.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I don't support Bernie and I can see f***ing dumb that is. Every single protester there last night supported someone other than Trump. Most were there because they do not support blatant racism.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I don't support Bernie and I can see f***ing dumb that is. Every single protester there last night supported someone other than Trump. Most were there because they do not support blatant racism.

Relax. You're acting like this was just a random group of protestors. Again this was extremely well organized.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
lol if you think a single group organized the response to a white nationalist rally and that there weren't a bunch of different groups there.

Trumps supporters were all organized by white supremacist organizations. Duh.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
You can disagree with the protest's tactics, you can disagree with the protestor's message, you can disagree with Donald Trump's tactics or message as well.

But if your anger over last night is expressed as "What about the first amendment", I ask you to tell me when the city of Chicago or the US Federal Government acted to declare that event illegal. If the President or Mayor stepped in and said "he can't hold this rally because I disagree with him" then you have a correct point. But if that did not happen, then you need to go review the First Amendment, because you haven't understood it.

Plus, you know, all of the things Trump himself has said, done and encouraged. Beating up protesters *edit and conservative media reporters!, banning people based on religion, loosening libel laws to sue media that say mean things about him. Protesting a white nationalist rally doesn't even come close to the free speech issues coming straight from Trump's campaign.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
Relax. You're acting like this was just a random group of protestors. Again this was extremely well organized.

I'm literally hysterically laughing. You can't be more relaxed than that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)

There's a big excluded middle between "random group of protesters," "Bernie's people" and even "just MoveOn.org." There were a lot of different groups there last night.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
There's a big excluded middle between "random group of protesters," "Bernie's people" and even "just MoveOn.org." There were a lot of different groups there last night.

I spoke with a couple of kids that were organized by their Muslim student association.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
I wish it was like the old days when we could rough up protesters and send them outta here on stretchers!

Protesting is part of political speech, Trump canceled his rally because he's a coward.

You are delusional. What is Trump worried about? He's surrounded by secret service and goes from the door of his helicopter to a car to the arena.

And you'd be b****ing if he went through with it and someone got stabbed or shot.

I have no problem with people protesting. I'd be right there with them. But it became violent. People became assholes. It crossed a line. Whether he asked for it or deserved it is immaterial.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)

So inside here's what went down. There were two dedicated sections to protestors. This was clearly planned. All the protestors just don't happen to all huddle up and sit right next to each other when they were in the 1000s. This was the main concern of security and what ultimately shut down the event. They were chanting BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE throughout. I'm not denying there were other groups there just that this was the primary reason for concern.

NBC

The petition garnered more than 50,000 signatures, and once brass at MoveOn, which has endorsed Sanders, caught wind of the UIC backlash, they wanted to help.

MoveOn chipped in money to get signs and a banner printed and blasted out an email to members in the Chicago area encouraging them to join the protest.

WaPo

MoveOn.org sent the details of the protest in an e-mail to members.

Here's moveon themselves explaining what went down:

https://twitter.com/ArielCohen37/status/708477056384901120

It's all well documented they were the primary people behind this. I'm not sure what the controversy is.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
So inside here's what went down. There were two dedicated sections to protestors. This was clearly planned. All the protestors just don't happen to all huddle up and sit right next to each other when they were in the 1000s. This was the main concern of security and what ultimately shut down the event. They were chanting BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE throughout. I'm not denying there were other groups there just that this was the primary reason for concern.

NBC

WaPo

Here's moveon themselves explaining what went down:

https://twitter.com/ArielCohen37/status/708477056384901120

It's all well documented they were the primary people behind this. I'm not sure what the controversy is.

So this group passed a law declaring Trump's speech illegal?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
You are delusional. What is Trump worried about? He's surrounded by secret service and goes from the door of his helicopter to a car to the arena.

And you'd be b****ing if he went through with it and someone got stabbed or shot.

I have no problem with people protesting. I'd be right there with them. But it became violent. People became assholes. It crossed a line. Whether he asked for it or deserved it is immaterial.

I dunno, ask trump, he's the one who never even bothered going to the rally before calling it off and lying about talking to police.

Nothing much really even happened before they called it off, and the extent of the violence was some shoving. Less violent than two other trump rallies this week really.

I'm fully expecting someone to get seriously injured or killed at a trump rally this year, though. What else would you expect when the candidate is encouraging violence against protesters?

Edited by StrangeSox