Dexter Fowler Without Switch Hitting

Lillian

Facts:

1) Fowler is naturally right handed

2) Only began switch hitting when he was drafted by the Rockies

3) Has always been a better hitter, when batting right handed

Interesting Article:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-ou...isparity-062315

In weighing a choice between Alex Gordon and Dexter Fowler, I am leaning toward Fowler, but as a two hole hitter, and batting exclusively right handed.

Gordon does not profile as a clean up hitter, which means that his hitting left handed is really not that advantageous. If Gordon could hit between Abreu and Frazier,

he would add nice balance to the order. However, most of us agree that he is much better suited in the two hole. Since Eaton bats left handed, as a lead off hitter,

having another left handed hitter to hit behind him is no particular advantage. Fowler has put up very similar numbers to Gordon, and is younger with better speed.

Fowler's numbers have been better as a right handed hitter, especially over the last 4 years. I'm intrigued by the idea of having him play RF, and bat second in the

lineup, but exclusively as a right handed hitter. His entire approach is different, when batting right handed, and much better suited to the 2 hole.

When batting left handed, his swing gets longer, and while more powerful, his OBP suffers. He has always been a good contact hitter, from the right side, and demonstrated a good knowledge of the strike zone.

Questions:

1) Is Fowler's arm good enough for RF?

2) How much would he cost?

3) Could the Sox sign Fowler, and still afford to find a better left handed hitter to take La Roche's place as DH, and bat clean up?

4) Might a trade for Ethier fill that need, and could he be serviceable as a platoon DH, for the final two years of his contract?

Your thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...3/dexter-fowler

870 ops vs. 733 against rhp as a lhb.

The whole problem is that he's getting three times as many AB's against righties compared to lefties, so what reason do we have to believe he'd end up closer to 800-825 in the AL hitting only RH compared to switch hitting in the NL?

His one year in the AL, he was a sub 2 war in Houston.

I just don't see the argument for a second tier guy making nearly the same as Gordon, who doesn't have much of an AL or non-Rockies background orvtrack record and who will also cost a precious draft pick to the Cubs.

If you're not signing one of the bigger names, it makes more financial sense to go fewer years with Span, Parra or Jackson in some combination and preserve the draft pick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 06:35 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...3/dexter-fowler

870 ops vs. 733 against rhp as a lhb.

The whole problem is that he's getting three times as many AB's against righties compared to lefties, so what reason do we have to believe he'd end up closer to 800-825 in the AL hitting only RH compared to switch hitting in the NL?

His one year in the AL, he was a sub 2 war in Houston.

I just don't see the argument for a second tier guy making nearly the same as Gordon, who doesn't have much of an AL or non-Rockies background orvtrack record and who will also cost a precious draft pick to the Cubs.

If you're not signing one of the bigger names, it makes more financial sense to go fewer years with Span, Parra or Jackson in some combination and preserve the draft pick.

What kind of a contract is he anticipated to be offered?

I'm sorry, but is this thread serious? Fowler has been a switch-hitter his entire career. What evidence is there to suggest he'd be better batting exclusively right-handed? Are you really using his splits against LHP to make that case? Of course he's better batting against LHP, the majority of right-handed batters are. And unlike a lot of switch hitters where the results are horrible from the weak side, he's actually been pretty solid (about a 100 wRC+), suggesting switch-hitting may be helping.

Regardless, it's a huge risk to sign this guy (while giving up a pick) and have him change his entire batting approach, all in hopes of finding the perfect two hole hitter. Who cares if Gordon is left-handed and has to bat after Eaton? He'll face a ton of RHP and likely would be far more valuable in front of Abreu than Fowler would be facing RHP from the right side.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 06:51 AM)
I'm sorry, but is this thread serious? Fowler has been a switch-hitter his entire career. What evidence is there to suggest he'd be better batting exclusively right-handed? Are you really using his splits against LHP to make that case? Of course he's better batting against LHP, the majority of right-handed batters are. And unlike a lot of switch hitters where the results are horrible from the weak side, he's actually been pretty solid (about a 100 wRC+), suggesting switch-hitting may be helping.

Regardless, it's a huge risk to sign this guy (while giving up a pick) and have him change his entire batting approach, all in hopes of finding the perfect two hole hitter. Who cares if Gordon is left-handed and has to bat after Eaton? He'll face a ton of RHP and likely would be far more valuable in front of Abreu than Fowler would be facing RHP from the right side.

Fowler only became a switch hitter, for the first time, when he was signed by the Rockies. He had not been a switch hitter previously.

As the article states, he is a completely different kind of hitter, when batting from the left side, and the results are not favorable, especially for a leadoff or #2 hole.

Moreover, even with his poorer performance, while batting left handed, his overall numbers are very comparable to Gordon's.

My greatest concern would be the switch to the A. L.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 06:57 AM)
Fowler only became a switch hitter, for the first time, when he was signed by the Rockies. He had not been a switch hitter previously.

As the article states, he is a completely different kind of hitter, when batting from the left side, and the results are not favorable, especially for a leadoff or #2 hole.

Do you think Hahn's willing to stake his career on a theory or conjecture, though? Wouldn't his agent or the Rockies have addressed this possibility a long time ago as the solution to some of his struggles in COL?

We know whoever the Cubs pick in that spot will turn out to be Mike Trout II as well.

I remember Jose Valentin giving up switch hitting to mixed results in the latter half of his career.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 06:46 AM)
Would his arm play in RF?

For comparisons sake, according to fangraphs Avi's arm strength was rated a 5.3 in '15 while Fowler rated at -1.2. Does not look like Fowler has the arm. Turning Fowler into a strictly RHH, moving him to RF where he's never played and giving up a comp pick does not sound like good ideas. Could go horribly wrong fast.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:05 AM)
For comparisons sake, according to fangraphs Avi's arm strength was rated a 5.3 in '15 while Fowler rated at -1.2. Does not look like Fowler has the arm. Turning Fowler into a strictly RHH, moving him to RF where he's never played and giving up a comp pick does not sound like good ideas. Could go horribly wrong fast.

I agree with you. His apparent inability to play a respectable RF is a major concern. I had read mixed reviews of his arm, but it

looks like his arm would not profile as a right fielder, which the Sox need. It's the same reason that I'm not enthused about

Gordon. Oh well, back to Cespedes.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
I agree with you. His apparent inability to play a respectable RF is a major concern. I had read mixed reviews of his arm, but it

looks like his arm would not profile as a right fielder, which the Sox need. It's the same reason that I'm not enthused about

Gordon. Oh well, back to Cespedes.

Cespedes just makes so much sense. No draft pick. Plus plus plus arm. HR threat anytime in the box. Game changing player on offense and defense.

I much prefer Cespedes, however if the Sox don't sign him, it wouldn't be terrible to have Fowler's career OBP of .363 batting in the #2 hole. If I'm not mistaken that would tie him with Abreu for the highest career OBP guy in the lineup. My biggest concern remains that his arm is questionable for a right fielder, and the Sox need a right fielder.

It would certainly not cost nearly the money that signing Cespedes is going to cost.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
If we miss out on Upton and Cespedes, I'd be more interested in Desmond than Fowler.

Career OBP of .312, and just .300 over the last two years. I'll take Saladino, save the money and the draft pick, and hope for the best.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
Alexei might give you Desmond's 2016 numbers at a fraction of the cost.

Fowler provides OBP and at least is something ok from the left side. Those are needs for us.

Works for me, and saves the draft pick. By the way, just how valuable do you guys think that 30TH pick in the Draft is?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Works for me, and saves the draft pick. By the way, just how valuable do you guys think that 30TH pick in the Draft is?

That player will probably be instantly our 4th best prospect, by a long shot, behind some combination of Fulmer, Anderson, and the 10th pick.