RHP, are we set or are we missing opportunities?

blackmooncreeping

Edwin Jackson and Brandon Beachy are 2 starting RHP's that have been signed for next to nothing in the past week, $1.5 million-ish a year I believe. Either could've potentially been a good get to the back end of our rotation which has big question marks in the 4th and 5th slots as we stand. Is the front office too focused on one of the FA outfielders that they are missing cheap opportunities to improve at the very least our pitching depth? Food for thought...

Edited by blackmooncreeping

They probably figure Scott Carroll can do what those guys do and they're probably right. They signed somebody else, name escapes, who may be able to start as well.

The O WAR corner OF is a more imminent issue, even if they have to go on the cheap for more modest upgrades.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
They probably figure Scott Carroll can do what those guys do and they're probably right. They signed somebody else, name escapes, who may be able to start as well.

The O WAR corner OF is a more imminent issue, even if they have to go on the cheap for more modest upgrades.

Hope they go for 2 modest OF upgrades, assuming neither YO or JU comes to town.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Just my opinion but I think the Sox missed out on a big opportunity with Henderson Alvarez.

This was my thing. It just seemed so obvious. I'm sure he ends up like never playing and that's why he wasn't mentioned, but that seems like a fantastic gamble. He was fantastic 2 years ago.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Edwin Jackson and Brandon Beachy are 2 starting RHP's that have been signed for next to nothing in the past week, $1.5 million-ish a year I believe. Either could've potentially been a good get to the back end of our rotation which has big question marks in the 4th and 5th slots as we stand. Is the front office too focused on one of the FA outfielders that they are missing cheap opportunities to improve at the very least our pitching depth? Food for thought...

They signed for nothing because both are garbage.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
I think a lot of teams did. I was shocked that he wasn't more in demand.

Same here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
This was my thing. It just seemed so obvious. I'm sure he ends up like never playing and that's why he wasn't mentioned, but that seems like a fantastic gamble. He was fantastic 2 years ago.

Agreed and he's young enough to bounce back to what he was two years ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
They signed for nothing because both are garbage.

Actually Jackson signed for league minimum because he's making $13 mill this year anyway. It's not like if a team offered him more it would increase his possible earnings. It would just decease the amount the Cubs owe.

Edited by soxfan2014

All these guys being mentioned signed major league deals. The Sox are looking for a 7th starter more or less, so I doubt they're trying to sign someone to a major league deal. Whether we like it or not ( I personally don't), Danks is gonna stay in the rotation because of the money he makes. Reinsdorf isn't gonna pay him $15 mil this year to be a LOOGY or pitch for Charlotte. Erik Johnson is 26 (old for a guy who hasn't really gotten an extended shot in the bigs yet), formerly a Top 100 prospect, and absolutely dominated AAA last year. I think you're at the "crap or get off the pot" stage with him at this point. So, you gotta give him an extended shot in the rotation to find out what you have. And then we signed Jacob Turner (who doesn't really profile as a reliever) for $1.5 mil on a big league deal. So, I have a hard time believing they're looking to acquire a 7th starting pitcher on a big league deal. Is what it is.

QUOTE (JRL @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
All these guys being mentioned signed major league deals. The Sox are looking for a 7th starter more or less, so I doubt they're trying to sign someone to a major league deal. Whether we like it or not ( I personally don't), Danks is gonna stay in the rotation because of the money he makes. Reinsdorf isn't gonna pay him $15 mil this year to be a LOOGY or pitch for Charlotte. Erik Johnson is 26 (old for a guy who hasn't really gotten an extended shot in the bigs yet), formerly a Top 100 prospect, and absolutely dominated AAA last year. I think you're at the "crap or get off the pot" stage with him at this point. So, you gotta give him an extended shot in the rotation to find out what you have. And then we signed Jacob Turner (who doesn't really profile as a reliever) for $1.5 mil on a big league deal. So, I have a hard time believing they're looking to acquire a 7th starting pitcher on a big league deal. Is what it is.

We have 3 proven starters (counting Rodon as a proven starter), then the rest is a big question mark in terms of what kind of production we'll see. My point is if you are going for it with the infield upgrades and possibly OF upgrades as well, you better have dependable starting pitching. Not sure we are there in terms of quality depth yet, and I believe a proven starting RHP would go a long way to stabilizing the rotation.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
We have 3 proven starters (counting Rodon as a proven starter), then the rest is a big question mark in terms of what kind of production we'll see. My point is if you are going for it with the infield upgrades and possibly OF upgrades as well, you better have dependable starting pitching. Not sure we are there in terms of quality depth yet, and I believe a proven starting RHP would go a long way to stabilizing the rotation.

That's an awful lot of money to invest in Turner if they don't have him somewhere on the list. So like it or not from our perspective, they've at least got him somewehere in the answer to your question.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
That's an awful lot of money to invest in Turner if they don't have him somewhere on the list. So like it or not from our perspective, they've at least got him somewehere in the answer to your question.

How much was invested in Turner? And how many starts has Turner made in the bigs? Fine if he's an option, but he should just be one of multiple options, and hopefully he's not the best fallback option you've got or you've fallen short imo.