Chris Davis back to Baltimore

elwood5892

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
I'm surprised all this TV money hasn't dried up. I guess people are willing to pay anything to get the premium stations. I thought advertisers had no money, however, and ad revenue was gonna dry up and even companies like ESPN were doing cost saving things.

Will this money for sports be around forever? I guess probably so.

Just remember, the share of total revenue the owners are paying players has actually gone down over the past 10 years. By a lot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
I'm surprised all this TV money hasn't dried up. I guess people are willing to pay anything to get the premium stations. I thought advertisers had no money, however, and ad revenue was gonna dry up and even companies like ESPN were doing cost saving things.

To my understanding, the thought is that with dvrs, on demand services, Netflix and the like, live sports is the best value for advertisers since they're watched live

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
It's fine to disagree. I seem to be the only one with this point of view. He is extremely good at his job. I wouldn't deny that. I just don't see it in this case.

Well said. Lots of value in considered disagreements and not blindly sipping on the Kool-Aid.

Doing the latter is okay if you're in Jones Town, or, if you're a Cubs fan.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
To my understanding, the thought is that with dvrs, on demand services, Netflix and the like, live sports is the best value for advertisers since they're watched live

This is a point of view I hadn't thought of. It is true in my case. I think the only shows I watch when they are actually on are sporting events. They are probably the only time the commercials are actually shown in our house..

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)

I think the above is often true, but far from true across the board.

Personally, over the past 2-3 years, apart from the 10-12 home games a year I attend in person, I've moved from watching about 75% of the other innings on television to darn close to 100%.

And that's through the magic of DVR. Stay away from news sources of all kind (including social media), DVR the game, and watch all the games when they best fit my schedule on any given day. Fringe benefit is zipping through the many dog games or the ABs of players who infuriate you (second half last year, I didn't watch a single AB from LaRoche or Avi unless it was in ultra-fast mode).

Consequently, advertisers got nada from me. Well, Coors and Lexus did, but only because of their fine casting decisions of that one Coors bikini girl and that one Lexus blonde with the dazzling smile. A man must make exceptions here and there.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)

It's not just TV money though there are numerous other marketing and advertising streams including stuff on the internet and streaming out of market games that are pouring millions and millions of dollars into MLB.

Tom Verducci of S.I. wrote that MLB 's revenue has increased 105% over the past 15 years.

Mark

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Really doesn't matter what people on a message board think. There was no way the Orioles were going to lower the offer. He is a popular long term player who they wanted back and want to keep happy. The fact that the Orioles offered a contract and after months of negotiations, Boras got 1 million dollars per year but also had to give up more deferred money. That is a lot of negotiations for mostly nothing. Boras didn't do well in these negotiations.

I think you missed the point where I opined that the original offer was insane. Boras had already done well there. There was no other place to go. If the Orioles had come to their senses they might have walked away. Now as we know the details of the deal with a ton of deferred money, this deal may well represent a cheaper offer in present value of money terms. In which case the Orioles effectively did offer less, but Boras fought for a deal that looked like more ("161 is bigger than 150") to the average meathead. Either way, it's a lot of money for what this guy may end up being, and the fact that the Orioles had no competition for the signing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
The other thing to consider is deflation or disinflation...with world economies today, we have no way of knowing the future.

Had he signed that deal in Japan in 1998, it would be considered simply brilliant.

Inflation will always be a constant. That's not a factor that really even needs to be talked about.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
Inflation will always be a constant. That's not a factor that really even needs to be talked about.

So will increasing home values...

If anyone believed Chris Davis would get that amount of money back in October, I'd love to see the prediction.

Next up for bidding is free-agent first baseman Chris Davis, most recently of the Baltimore Orioles. Born in 1986, he stands at 6 feet 3 inches tall and has led the American League in home runs in two of the past three seasons. Can we start the bidding at $100 million? The Orioles start us off at $100 million. Do I hear $120 million? Orioles again. How about $140 million? Come on, people, this is a great price for Davis, who can even play third base in a pinch! And we have $140 million from -- Baltimore. Oh, and Baltimore also calls $150 million. And $161 million. Are you guys sure you know how this works? Sold to the team from Charm City for $161 million, unless they care to make another bid!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/...th-best-al-east

Even with Davis, Orioles only fourth best team in AL East.

Edited by caulfield12