White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Oh, you're correct. They do have some guys signed for less than they are worth including Sale, Quintana, Eaton, and Abreu. And some of the other guys could end up being bargains, too. My point was that the 2-3 bad contracts are tying up a good chunk of the $120 million that is being talked about. If the Sox do have a number they won't go over (and there probably is one, but it's not $120 million or even a little more than that), those bad contracts would hinder their ability to spend on the guys they need. The discussion (argument) has been that the Sox won't spend because they are stuck on a number...$120 million. That's not true. They haven't signed Fowler, Desmond, etc. yet because there's not a match. The Sox are willing to the right amount of money on the right guy. They were willing to spend a certain amount for Cespedes or Gordon, but they are willing to spend less on these other guys. Some of that reasoning is driven by what they have allocated so far, but not all of it.

excellent point, i wish i could have thought of that counter.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
An average amount with 35% of it all wrapped up in Danks, Cabrera, and LaRoche. Yikes.

To channel my inner-Hawk: don't tell me how much you spend. Tell me who you spend it on!

The White Sox got 2 of those 3 contracts by spending for market level contracts in the free agent market, so obviously the way to fix that is to spend on more big free agent contracts at market level.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
I agree with all you say. But I wonder how much the "Cubs" will affect the final decisions made on the roster. The White Sox need to find a way to gather attention in a market that will be all over the Cubs this year. They need to stay in the race for a playoff spot. So maybe the final decisions on guys like Desmond or Fowler may not be as much on value as perception and a chance to stay in contention.

and that is a major crux that no posters seems to understand,

the sox have many fronts to improve and it all comes to $$$$$

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
I agree with all you say. But I wonder how much the "Cubs" will affect the final decisions made on the roster. The White Sox need to find a way to gather attention in a market that will be all over the Cubs this year. They need to stay in the race for a playoff spot. So maybe the final decisions on guys like Desmond or Fowler may not be as much on value as perception and a chance to stay in contention.

The Cubs have a major advantage that the Sox don't have. In 2014, they brought in fully 33% more revenue than the Sox did, or 75 million more dollars. That is exactly why they get to spend, while the White Sox have to watch their payroll much more closely. They can afford to have an Edwin Jackson happen.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
and that is a major crux that no posters seems to understand,

the sox have many fronts to improve and it all comes to $$$$$

how can anyone say that the sox as an org made this money or is in this % of the profits or expenditures, when no one really know the really money, let alone all the sub companies tied to the sox org.

forbe??? even a an admin who works in the minor league team or something even said, i may embellish this, that when the forbe numbers came out, they all laugh, b/c of the inaccuracy of those rpt numbers.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
again, i am not going to key on anything else except the bold.

we, the fans really do not know what the term max is when it is coming from the sox FO. it can carry many meanings.

The White Sox are never going to say they have a bunch of money to work with. The thing is, there is no reason to freak out over this season yet. Wait at least until the season starts.

There has been a ton of speculation over the years about the Cubs popularity vs. the White Sox. Harry Caray, WGN, being owned by the Tribune,....those are all nice theories, but the fact isthe White Sox were doing better than the Cubs until 1984 happened. In 1982. 1983, and 1984, despite Haary being their announcer and the Cubs being on WGN, the White Sox outdrew the Cubs. Then th Cuns won a division and it created the monster they are now. During that year, they traded for their lead off hitter and 3rd place hitter the last week of spring training. They also acquired their ace during the season.

I am not for waiting until the season starts to improve the team. From what Hahn repeatedly said at Soxfest, neither is he. He did mention opening day as a deadline. Why don't you see what the team looks like then before determining what they are doing not worthy of fans support?

I blasted JR one time for payroll. That was 2009 when they held season ticket holder 2008 playoff money, increased ticket prices, and reduced opening day payroll. I found that to be BS. When you have a full season, those unused WS tickets add up. Now, I believe they have altered how they hold the money. The payroll is fine, and is just about a lock to be higher by opening day.

Hahn has said they will continue to look for additions to the team through the end of SP and yet, some talk as though this is it and they are done. Base on the off season moves so far, at this point I see no reason to doubt Hahn in what he says.

The Sox took out alot of trash this winter and brought in some pretty nice additions to fill some holes so lets see what Hahn does between now ( February 15) and opening day (April 4). This means the Sox have 1.5 months to finalize the roster for opening day so there's plenty time. The lack of patience and abundance of dissention is really old and worn out. Call the whambulance...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
The White Sox are never going to say they have a bunch of money to work with. The thing is, there is no reason to freak out over this season yet. Wait at least until the season starts.

There has been a ton of speculation over the years about the Cubs popularity vs. the White Sox. Harry Caray, WGN, being owned by the Tribune,....those are all nice theories, but the fact isthe White Sox were doing better than the Cubs until 1984 happened. In 1982. 1983, and 1984, despite Haary being their announcer and the Cubs being on WGN, the White Sox outdrew the Cubs. Then th Cuns won a division and it created the monster they are now. During that year, they traded for their lead off hitter and 3rd place hitter the last week of spring training. They also acquired their ace during the season.

I am not for waiting until the season starts to improve the team. From what Hahn repeatedly said at Soxfest, neither is he. He did mention opening day as a deadline. Why don't you see what the team looks like then before determining what they are doing not worthy of fans support?

I blasted JR one time for payroll. That was 2009 when they held season ticket holder 2008 playoff money, increased ticket prices, and reduced opening day payroll. I found that to be BS. When you have a full season, those unused WS tickets add up. Now, I believe they have altered how they hold the money. The payroll is fine, and is just about a lock to be higher by opening day.

excellent counter.

but i will say, the window of opportunity is now, keep fixing this team. there is too much to loose and all to gain.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Hahn has said they will continue to look for additions to the team through the end of SP and yet, some talk as though this is it and they are done. Base on the off season moves so far, at this point I see no reason to doubt Hahn in what he says.

The Sox took out alot of trash this winter and brought in some pretty nice additions to fill some holes so lets see what Hahn does between now ( February 15) and opening day (April 4). This means the Sox have 1.5 months to finalize the roster for opening day so there's plenty time. The lack of patience and abundance of dissention is really old and worn out. Call the whambulance...

good point, just like last yr, my ranting against will stop at opening season, then i will cheer as my life depends on it. i want another WS ......

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)

Some fans just live to complain, even if it has no basis in reality.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
The White Sox got 2 of those 3 contracts by spending for market level contracts in the free agent market, so obviously the way to fix that is to spend on more big free agent contracts at market level.

No, the way to fix it is to spend money on better players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
Then why do you want them to sign Desmond? There are so few takers. In fact in your original post where you forgot about wanting Latos for so much more money, you said sign Desmond in June. That would mean he had zero takers. Once again you can't make your constant negativity make any sense. Hahn did what you wanted only a lot cheaper and you still find fault, would you rather give Latos $3 million or Ian Kennedy $70 million?

That would mean the QO system isn't working to their benefit...and that guys like Gallardo, Desmond and Fowler might not be signed until the draft.

El fin.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
No, the way to fix it is to spend money on better players.

exactly, esp when the team has been screwed up by the front office.

anyway, fans has a right to question, and this idea that all fans needs to be sooooo positives on everything the org does, is silly. so if i do not have the same opinion, then i am wrong for having a different one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Some fans just live to complain, even if it has no basis in reality.

LOL! Oh, for goodness sakes, SS2K5. You complain as much as anyone else around here. There are topics you cling to and complain about for whatever reason, such as your thoughts about the imaginary "fickle fan base". You've complained a storm up about that over the course of time!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
LOL! Oh, for goodness sakes, SS2K5. You complain as much as anyone else around here. There are topics you cling to and complain about for whatever reason, such as your thoughts about the imaginary "fickle fan base". You've complained a storm up about that over the course of time!

Because imaginary numbers and anger is more valid than actual numbers. This is my point exactly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
That would mean the QO system isn't working to their benefit...and that guys like Gallardo, Desmond and Fowler might not be signed until the draft.

El fin.

There are several players with QO that have found teams. At least 2 of these guys will be on teams before opening day, if not all 3.

Also, would that mean the Sox should have no interest in Austin Jackson since he has no QO and not many takers?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)

;)

and even when an admin admits that the number of forbes are incorrect, those numbers mean sooo much more than reasoning.

i am done for now on this regurgitation of the so call profit and margins numbers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
There are several players with QO that have found teams. At least 2 of these guys will be on teams before opening day, if not all 3.

strategically i think many Fa's got bad advice and did not accept the QO's.

the market is flooded with fa's and that is not good. look at those who accepted the QO's, they are taking a chance and gambling on themselves. ballsy more.

If I'm one of these players I am telling my agent I want to wait until June. These are millionaires, they don't really care if they don't have a few months of income. Plus waiting may allow them to get a 4/44mm deal for someone like Fowler rather than like 2/24 or something.

However if I am an agent I am pushing for them being signed, doesn't look good if you can't get your job done.

These are my preferences:

Fowler 2-3 years

Jackson 1-2 years

Desmond 1-2 years

Anything over those years and I want to trade for my OF.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
If I'm one of these players I am telling my agent I want to wait until June. These are millionaires, they don't really care if they don't have a few months of income. Plus waiting may allow them to get a 4/44mm deal for someone like Fowler rather than like 2/24 or something.

However if I am an agent I am pushing for them being signed, doesn't look good if you can't get your job done.

These are my preferences:

Fowler 2-3 years

Jackson 1-2 years

Desmond 1-2 years

Anything over those years and I want to trade for my OF.

excellent point, some team already did that and gave a prorated contract for the first yr, if i remember correctly.

This time last year, most fans were excited about the upcoming season and praising Hahn for the moves he made. One year later, many are b****ing about those very moves because a few players under-performed and its now the front offices fault for signing/trading for players that, on paper, many agreed were pretty good moves at the time. Sometimes things do not go according to plan, that's life. I guess it's a matter of perception where one can choose to live in the past or focus on what has been done in the present to hopefully change the future.

I'm excited about the moves the Sox have made so far and still believe they will add before opening day. The roster looks alot different now than it did last year. I think Hahn has done well so far and hopefully the results are better this time around. I see no reason not to be optimistic.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
What's the track record of QO-attached players who wait until the season to sign? It's obviously not a large sample, but if memory serves it's horrible.

Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew two seasons ago, that's pretty much it.

To the previous poster, Jackson doesn't have a pick attached. It's Gallardo that does.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
This time last year, most fans were excited about the upcoming season and praising Hahn for the moves he made. One year later, many are b****ing about those very moves because a few players under-performed and its now the front offices fault for signing/trading for players that, on paper, many agreed were pretty good moves at the time. Sometimes things do not go according to plan, that's life. I guess it's a matter of perception where one can choose to live in the past or focus on what has been done in the present to hopefully change the future.

I'm excited about the moves the Sox have made so far and still believe they will add before opening day. The roster looks alot different now than it did last year. I think Hahn has done well so far and hopefully the results are better this time around. I see no reason not to be optimistic.

a really good counter.

for me, i was praising the moves, and i will still hold my head high for that praise, even thou i didn't like the laroche move. but i like the idea of fixing this team.

1 yrs later, i still like the move, the luck of the draw screwed up with laroche. it was still a good move.

all i would like to say, do not let laroche contract of 13 mil +/- hold back this team to continue to rebuild or get the final piece in my opinion.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)

The funny thing is most of us thought it was a pretty good roster last year. But right now on paper, it is much improved. Hopefully they get improved performance out of some guys as well. If things break right, it could be a really stacked team.

Obviously they want a fast start. If anything, that is more motivation to bring in more before the season begins. I am really looking forward to this season. I was disappointed they didn't get Upton or Gordon or Cespedes, but reality says upgrades are still available.