White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
Bob Nnightengale on MLB Network just said that the White Sox are out of cash. I find this hard to believe.

This is such a load of crap. So they were in on Cespedes and Gordon but suddenly have no money? At least say something halfway intelligent sounding like "White Sox were willing to spend for one of the big three but are now looking to be creative."

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
This is such a load of crap. So they were in on Cespedes and Gordon but suddenly have no money? At least say something halfway intelligent sounding like "White Sox were willing to spend for one of the big three but are now looking to be creative."

I think this could actually be the case; they were willing to over extend for the caliber of player that Gordon/Cespedes are, but they aren't going out of their comfort zone for the next tier of guys. Problem is that doesn't leave them in a good spot, in theory; now tight with the wallet and also not having a ton of tradeable assets to swing a deal.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)
Dude i get it. Just making a point if i guy has all those strikeouts and errors and Horsh%^#tt OBP and his stats have been on a steady decline then don't bring up how good his WAR is and tell me he is a better fit than Fowler. Fowler fits our team better then Desmond because of his OBP and better outfield defense than Melky or Garcia.

I agree that Fowler is a better fit, but it isn't because you don't give a s*** about WAR. In fact, the entire post I made answering your question MADE THE CASE that Fowler is a better fit, according to WAR.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Dude i get it. Just making a point if i guy has all those strikeouts and errors and Horsh%^#tt OBP and his stats have been on a steady decline then don't bring up how good his WAR is and tell me he is a better fit than Fowler. Fowler fits our team better then Desmond because of his OBP and better outfield defense than Melky or Garcia.

Technically Fowler plays worse defense than Melky and Garcia.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
Anything to add on this Desmond/Fowler situation?

Talks are fluid. As some have stated, they have a range they will stay within for free agents. As of tonight that's not a match for either camp. It's really that simple.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
LOL that would make zero sense considering they were certainly offering SOMETHING to Cespedes and Gordon. Perhaps they were only offering them groupon deals?!

The allocations approved could very well have been either dependent on moving out other money, or they could have been a one time approval for just that player.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
I read somewhere that most of Fowler's leaked runs were due to throwing issues. As long as he underhand rolls the ball back in, we should be good ;)

Alot of throwing issues and out of position runs given up.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
Talks are fluid. As some have stated, they have a range they will stay within for free agents. As of tonight that's not a match for either camp. It's really that simple.

Yikes.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 03:16 AM)

Any of these trade suggestions realistic? Think they get another bat before season starts?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)

Bucket, if you had to guess, do you see them making another move?

Obviously FAs like Desmond, Fowler, Jackson, etc or even a trade that would fill the void in RF...

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)

Thanks for the info.

Also important to note. exactly zero other teams are willing to meet Desmond or Fowler's current demands. They'll come down. Desmond has absolutely nowhere else to go before June.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
Thanks for the info.

Also important to note. exactly zero other teams are willing to meet Desmond or Fowler's current demands. They'll come down. Desmond has absolutely nowhere else to go before June.

Not true. If a SS gets injured in ST, especially on a team projected to contend, he will have a job in no time.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Not true. If a SS gets injured in ST, especially on a team projected to contend, he will have a job in no time.

I'll amend- Desmond has nowhere to go before June *unless a team trying to contend loses their starting shortstop for a very long period of time and don't have an adequate replacement and decide it's worth giving up their unprotected pick.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 03:16 AM)

yup it is really that simple. unless the sox finds a deal, like latos and his salary for an of'er, the sox will not sign anyone else.

another msg, another form of lip service to feed the fans....... we tried, but we couldn't get it done, but you have to give us credit, we have improve this team .

team salary 123 mil + / -

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
The allocations approved could very well have been either dependent on moving out other money, or they could have been a one time approval for just that player.

I'm just worried if the Sox will have enough to make the rent payment and pay the utilities bill next month over there at 35th and Shields, given how tight you claim the budget to be all the time. And after that $3M hit they took on Latos? Jerry's probably in touch with every bankruptcy attorney in the city as we speak!!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 06:44 AM)
I'm just worried if the Sox will have enough to make the rent payment and pay the utilities bill next month over there at 35th and Shields, given how tight you claim the budget to be all the time. And after that $3M hit they took on Latos? Jerry's probably in touch with every bankruptcy attorney in the city as we speak!!

A whole of substance here.