White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
I actually think the Sox see Desmond as a guy who could slide to another position once Anderson is ready, so I'm thinking they target a three year deal. I could something like 3/$42M getting it done.

I think that if the Sox are going to sign Desmond and give up the pick, they would likely try to get 3 years at a reasonable price. I think you're right that he could slide into another position, but he has said (according to reports anyway) that he'd be willing play in the outfield. So he could possibly be playing in the outfield right away while the Sox stick with Saladino at SS.

Possibly a more realistic scenario is the he plays SS and teh Sox use Saladino or Sanchez as part of a package to get an outfielder.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bulk of Desmond's career suggests far more value than his 2015 performance does. It could easily be argued that his biggest fault was bad timing. His walk year suggested, instead of the promise of production to come, a career in decline.

Between that notion, and the loss of a Draft choice, Ian Desmond's price will probably be substantially reduced. Desmond's next employers will be taking the chance his earlier performances, rather than his performance in 2015, will define the remainder of his career. There have been much larger free-agent gambles taken this offseason.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/164329798/ia...apter-of-career

Definitely sounds as though teams would prefer a multi-year deal as a gamble he bounces back, on the cheap, and the multi-years could help off-set the loss of a comp pick. I really think one of the biggest hangups for teams is giving up the comp pick for just one season because if Desmond doesn't bounce back, he won be worth the QO and the team loses their comp pick for good with no chance to recoup it.

It's a gamble for both Desmond and the signing team. The Desmond rumors really have me curious as to what kind of contract he eventually signs.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 12:56 AM)
Agree 100%. I don't get he fascination with him. It seems the masses just want to sign anyone. 180 strikeouts a year with below average defense. So your infield and outfield defense is worse than last year on a team that already plays bad D. No thanks. He was the one guy out of all the possible free agents that i didn't want. That and the Austin Jackson talk. Stay away from both. . Fowler, trade for Markaikas or go big and get Puig. I'd take Fowler or Markaikas and sacrifice Power for OBP. Just sayin.

Since 2012, Ian Desmond has the highest fWAR of all shortstops in baseball. And that is with his off year last year.

Out of the three guys that you mention and Desmond here is how they rank according to fWAR in the last 4 years.

Ian Desmond - 15.1

Yasiel Puig - 14.5 (Puig has only played 3 years so I took his career average for the 4th year)

Dexter Fowler - 9.1

Nick Markakis - 5.4

Desmond has been significantly better than Fowler and Markakis. Puig would probably be more valuable this year but he also would cost the most by far to acquire and has severe character issues. I think a lot of people here seemed to be blinded by the one bad half of baseball that Desmond played last year. But truth be told he is one hell of a baseball player and has been one of the best shortstops in the game the past 4 years.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)
I think that if the Sox are going to sign Desmond and give up the pick, they would likely try to get 3 years at a reasonable price. I think you're right that he could slide into another position, but he has said (according to reports anyway) that he'd be willing play in the outfield. So he could possibly be playing in the outfield right away while the Sox stick with Saladino at SS.

Possibly a more realistic scenario is the he plays SS and teh Sox use Saladino or Sanchez as part of a package to get an outfielder.

I definitely think he would start the season as our SS, but if he can play a solid LF, he provides us with a significant amount of flexibility for our roster. Allows Saladino (or Anderson at some point) to slide into SS if Desmond is needed in the OF. If we go the Fowler route, we are riding & dying with Saladino at SS. There wouldn't be much of a backup plan.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
Since 2012, Ian Desmond has the highest fWAR of all shortstops in baseball. And that is with his off year last year.

Out of the three guys that you mention and Desmond here is how they rank according to fWAR in the last 4 years.

Ian Desmond - 15.1

Yasiel Puig - 14.5 (Puig has only played 3 years so I took his career average for the 4th year)

Dexter Fowler - 9.1

Nick Markakis - 5.4

Desmond has been significantly better than Fowler and Markakis. Puig would probably be more valuable this year but he also would cost the most by far to acquire and has severe character issues. I think a lot of people here seemed to be blinded by the one bad half of baseball that Desmond played last year. But truth be told he is one hell of a baseball player and has been one of the best shortstops in the game the past 4 years.

You make some very good points. The way I se it is, if I'm OK with Frazier's hot start in '15 and his second half collapse, then I'm fine with Desmond's first half collapse and second half rebound. Adding Desmond wouldnt be the worst move the Sox could make. I'd take the gamble.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
You make some very good points. The way I se it is, if I'm OK with Frazier's hot start in '15 and his second half collapse, then I'm fine with Desmond's first half collapse and second half rebound. Adding Desmond wouldnt be the worst move the Sox could make. I'd take the gamble.

Exactly. We'd be signing him to shorter and lower $$ deal. Not like giving him 5/75 or anything.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)

What 2nd half rebound. He hit .190 in July and .220 in September. He had a good May and a good August. Defensively his number of errors has increased each year over the last 3 seasons. I would be concerned as a SS he is on the decline.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
What 2nd half rebound. He hit .190 in July and .220 in September. He had a good May and a good August. Defensively his number of errors has increased each year over the last 3 seasons. I would be concerned as a SS he is on the decline.

If we're leaving the draft pick and money that none of us will have to pay him out of the equation, he's a clear upgrade over Saladino. That should be the end of the discussion on that front. Any talk about him blocking Anderson is just silly. That means he's playing too well to be replaced. We'll find room for Anderson when he's ready.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
Isn't Lawrie just here for one year? Anderson would play 2B in 2017. I don't think he'll be good enough defensively as a SS.

2018 free agent assuming he doesn't play/a-hole his way out after one season.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
What makes you say that? I'm not sure he will be but he's improving a lot.

Yes, but despite his improvements defensively, he's still not good defensively. If he continues improving, then who knows, but I see him as more of a terrific hitter/baserunner with poor defense in the Majors.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
Yes, but despite his improvements defensively, he's still not good defensively. If he continues improving, then who knows, but I see him as more of a terrific hitter/baserunner with poor defense in the Majors.

How much have you seen him actually play? Keith Law, whose basically entire job is evaluating prospects, projected him as an above average defensive shortstop.

Keith Law wrote that Anderson projects to be above average defensively at SS.

He's been improving every year. Despite him still having a long way to go there's no reason to think he won't be able to handle the position well at this point.

I'd be okay with a one year deal, option for a second IF the Sox FO are convinced he can play LF or RF with some skill too. Not a butcher like Garcia. And I have no idea of how you prove that ...

But with that you could really be flexible with this team. Almost Maddon like. I'd imagine it'd really hurt Sanchez' ability to make the team. Or Saladino.

But having Lawrie who can play multiple positions, Saladino, Sanchez, Desmond, etc. It really opens up the opportunity to rotate the lineups and get the most out of players.

Garcia/LaRoche/Desmond/Saladino/Lawrie for 4 spots is nice.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
How much have you seen him actually play? Keith Law, whose basically entire job is evaluating prospects, projected him as an above average defensive shortstop.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Keith Law wrote that Anderson projects to be above average defensively at SS.

I'm glad Keith Law thinks that, and I hope he ends up being right. The videos I've seen of Anderson's defense are not encouraging. He has gotten better, though.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)

This is what I'm referring to when I say 1st half/2nd half. That's a huge difference. I don't deny his struggles offensively but with his history its certainly possible he could rebound. As far as defense, I've pointed out in the last that his numbers are just plain strange. According to BR his dWAR is +.9 and according to fangraphs his UZR is a -3.7 and yet his RngR is a +4.5 and for the season he had 9 throwing errors with 18 fielding errors. To me, it looks like his extended range becomes detrimental to his defense, somehow. I wish I had seen more Nat's games to get a better idea of how exactly the errors happened instead of relying on stats alone.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...ar=2015&t=b

First or Second HalfDirect Link · Determined by All-Star Break · Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · Export · PRE · LINK · ?

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+

1st Half 84 83 348 323 36 68 17 1 7 24 5 2 17 99 .211 .255 .334 .589 108 4 3 3 2 0 7 .279 75 66

2nd Half 72 72 293 260 33 68 10 1 12 38 8 3 28 88 .262 .331 .446 .777 116 5 0 3 2 0 3 .346 130 111

Desmond's hitting trends just make me really nervous. Every year since his breakout it's just been a creeping decline in every facet.

2012: .292/.335/.511

2013: .280/.331/.453

2014: .255/.313/.430

2015: .233/.290/.384

Do not like. I know he doesn't have to be an all-star to provide value at the prices we're talking, but I just feel like he isn't done tumbling.