White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
And for those WAR followers how does a guy who has averaged 24 errors and 171 strikeouts over the last 3 years with a 311 OBP have a good war? Maybe a good fit for some teams but for us not good at all IMO. Thanx

P

On my phone but a quick explanation. The errors did not amount to any damage done during the game.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have elite power, it covers up lack of obp/contact. If you have elite contact, it covers up lack of elite power (and walks). If you have elite OBP, it can have same mitigating effects.

Get really good at something and be surprised how much it helps.

Signing Desmond is hard to understand considering SS is at least covered defensively (and Desmond may be a downgrade defensively) while the corner OF positions are not covered defensively.

Some justification might be a)They think he can play quality OF as well as SS; b)They plan on signing Jackson as well, which would cover 2 positions for price of 1 draft choice; or c)They still think Avisail can hit (and I do think it's at least a year too early to proclaim he can't). d)Desmond is more amenable to a short term deal to fit this (imo contrived and bogus) 2 year window.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
And for those WAR followers how does a guy who has averaged 24 errors and 171 strikeouts over the last 3 years with a 311 OBP have a good war? Maybe a good fit for some teams but for us not good at all IMO. Thanx

P

Did you read my original reply to your WAR question? Context is the key to both. Not trying to be a jerk (I'm willing to explain), I just don't want to type out another long explanation if you won't read it.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Did you read my original reply to your WAR question? Context is the key to both. Not trying to be a jerk (I'm willing to explain), I just don't want to type out another long explanation if you won't read it.

Dude i get it. Just making a point if i guy has all those strikeouts and errors and Horsh%^#tt OBP and his stats have been on a steady decline then don't bring up how good his WAR is and tell me he is a better fit than Fowler. Fowler fits our team better then Desmond because of his OBP and better outfield defense than Melky or Garcia.

Edited by SoxSteve

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Dude i get it. Just making a point if i guy has all those strikeouts and errors and Horsh%^#tt OBP and his stats have been on a steady decline then don't bring up how good is war is and tell me he is a better fit than Fowler because is war is Better. Fowler fits our team better then Desmond because of his OBP and better defense than Melky or Garcia. Period

Desmond is a better player than Fowler though. If I'm giving up the draft pick, I'd rather have the better player.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 12:19 AM)
Bob Nnightengale on MLB Network just said that the White Sox are out of cash. I find this hard to believe.

Oh yay....likely a signal no more major moves are coming. If true, what a sad and pathetic effort to sign free agents this offseason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 11:19 PM)
Bob Nnightengale on MLB Network just said that the White Sox are out of cash. I find this hard to believe.

If Sox told him this, then it's not posturing either. You don't say you are out of money if you are negotiating

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)

LOL that would make zero sense considering they were certainly offering SOMETHING to Cespedes and Gordon. Perhaps they were only offering them groupon deals?!

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
Desmond is a better player than Fowler though. If I'm giving up the draft pick, I'd rather have the better player.

Not a bad way to think of it, except:

*Better players on their own don't win pennants, better overall teams do.

*Sometimes a particular skill-set is what you need, not necessarily the better overall player. The easy example is a team thought to be strong in pitching, but still with more than one weak hole offensively. The better of two players available to you might be the pitcher, but as the last transaction of a given off-season the more needed player might be the offensive player. From that easy example, you get to tougher calls. I happen to agree that a strong OBP, better OF defense, and additional left-handedness to platoon with Avi are the greater needs (even if Desmond might be the better overall player than Fowler -- and I think Desmond has been incredibly undervalued the past few years and he just might be a great buy-low candidate (assuming he'll accept buy-low money)).

And related to this last point is incremental gain. Isn't that what we really want to do in order to improve the team? From a WAR metric, or from just common sense, it sure seems the incremental advantage of Desmond as a replacement to Saladino isn't as great as adding a Fowler or Jackson as a way to bolster overall production in the OF (including defense) and the DH rotation. If you're a Saladino believer (and I'm leaning that way), then there's a decent shot he gives you within 1-WAR of Desmond and likely provides a bit better defense in the process (Desmond is criticized far too much about his defense in my opinion -- he's a solid + SS).

That said, while I'd personally prefer Fowler (and maybe Jackson too), I have no problem with taking on all of Desmond's upside and turning the incredibly athletic Saladino into a super-sub who has an outside shot at becoming Zobrist-lite.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
If Sox told him this, then it's not posturing either. You don't say you are out of money if you are negotiating

It makes no sense though, and even contradicts what Nightengale has said in the past. Nightengale never said the Sox couldn't afford the Big 3, just that the Sox supposedly refused to go above 3 years. Now after signing Latos for peanuts they're out of cash? Then what kind of 3 year contract were they going to offer?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 11:48 PM)
It makes no sense though, and even contradicts what Nightengale has said in the past. Nightengale never said the Sox couldn't afford the Big 3, just that the Sox supposedly refused to go above 3 years. Now after signing Latos for peanuts they're out of cash? Then what kind of 3 year contract were they going to offer?

the strange inconsistency known as sox proclamations of money and profits.