The Top 30 White Sox Prospects, Preseason 2016

NorthSideSox72

It's here!

Here is our list of the Top 30 White Sox Prospects going into the 2016 season. This is the result of work from nearly the entire FS writing staff, and we're quite proud of it, though of course it is subjective and everyone will have different opinions. There is also in there a list of players who were discussed but just missed.

What do you think of the list? What would you have done differently?

Also, if you like it, please do share it around social media or with your friends!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
It's here!

Here is our list of the Top 30 White Sox Prospects going into the 2016 season. This is the result of work from nearly the entire FS writing staff, and we're quite proud of it, though of course it is subjective and everyone will have different opinions. There is also in there a list of players who were discussed but just missed.

What do you think of the list? What would you have done differently?

Also, if you like it, please do share it around social media or with your friends!

excellent ... excellent... excellent.

as a fan of the sox minor league, i am excited to see the fruits of the hard work the sox FO has done lately. i am excited and i can see ..... dang the prospects are really young. it will be a while before they can bang on the door.

now for the work yous guys have done...... Bravo.

this is the best.......

Great list. Minor complaints are that I think Robinson Leyer and Nick Delmonico should be in the top 30.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 6m6 minutes ago

I still would argue Fulmer > Anderson. @whitesox

I'll put this here for argument sake. I tend to agree because I think Fulmer's ceiling is higher than Anderson's.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
Great list. Minor complaints are that I think Robinson Leyer and Nick Delmonico should be in the top 30.

I'll put this here for argument sake. I tend to agree because I think Fulmer's ceiling is higher than Anderson's.

We had several writers vote that way and I think with Anderson/Fulmer it is a 1a and 1b situation. Personally, I voted Fulmer #1 in the mid-season list but the way Anderson finished his season (.310/.363/.445 in the second half) and he continued positive reports about his defense won me over.

I like Robin Leyer as a potential 7th/8th inning guy, but he's likely not a potential closer like Tago or Goldberg and the bottom of our list was more competitive with several Latin American signings making their debut.

Delmonico just didn't hit enough (.238/.313/.386) for a 23 year-old 3B in AA for him to find a place on the list. He has shown power previously though and he would have to dramatically improve his slugging percentage to be considered a prospect IMO.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)

With the Sox history of developing pitching versus hitting, and the distance that Anderson has between his current ability and his potential versus where Fulmer is at, I would put Fulmer first on my list too, but it wouldn't be by much.

For the record, among the 7 writers who contributed to the list by voting and discussing, the final count was 4-3 in favor of Anderson for #1. Divided court, as close as can be.

I went Anderson. I have concerns about Fulmer's delivery, but more importantly, I was really impressed with what Anderson did this year. His defense improving a lot to where he's likely a future shortstop is big. His hitting at that level and age is also big.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
With the Sox history of developing pitching versus hitting, and the distance that Anderson has between his current ability and his potential versus where Fulmer is at, I would put Fulmer first on my list too, but it wouldn't be by much.

Anderson is far from a finished product, but he did just hit .312/.350/.429 in AA. I would actually put him and Fulmer's Major League ETA's the same, mid-season/September of 2016. So while Fulmer might be the safer prospect because he has the higher floor, I think Anderson's ceiling just barely puts him ahead in terms of rankings.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
Anderson is far from a finished product, but he did just hit .312/.350/.429 in AA. I would actually put him and Fulmer's Major League ETA's the same, mid-season/September of 2016. So while Fulmer might be the safer prospect because he has the higher floor, I think Anderson's ceiling just barely puts him ahead in terms of rankings.

Anderson still has a large strike out rate to overcome, as well as his defense (while it sounds much improved, he still has work to do).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
For the record, among the 7 writers who contributed to the list by voting and discussing, the final count was 4-3 in favor of Anderson for #1. Divided court, as close as can be.

I went Anderson. I have concerns about Fulmer's delivery, but more importantly, I was really impressed with what Anderson did this year. His defense improving a lot to where he's likely a future shortstop is big. His hitting at that level and age is also big.

this is me, i too would think anderson as #1 by a lot. Fulmer is potential i would rather see a full season or so on how he does.

maybe 1/2 into the next season.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
Did Adams crack any top 2s? Guessing not

"Jonathan Mayo ‏@JonathanMayo 3m3 minutes ago

Jonathan Mayo Retweeted Joey Castro

He has considerable ceiling. Maybe a No. 3 starter when all is said and done? Jonathan Mayo added,

Joey Castro @JoeyBats5

@JonathanMayo What kind of celing does Spencer Adams have? #WhiteSox"

Talking about Spencer Adams...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Anderson still has a large strike out rate to overcome, as well as his defense (while it sounds much improved, he still has work to do).

Agreed. But scary to think how well he preformed in Birmingham while working on those things. His OBP, for example, jumped from .337 in 64 games before the All-Star break to .363 the rest of the season. That is the type of improvement that is very encouraging to see.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Agreed. But scary to think how well he preformed in Birmingham while working on those things. His OBP, for example, jumped from .337 in 64 games before the All-Star break to .363 the rest of the season. That is the type of improvement that is very encouraging to see.

But those are the kinds of things that get exploited at the major league level, while guys with talent can hit over in the minors.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
The top six (Danish at 5 and Guerrero at 6) were pretty unanimous. After that we started to go all over the board.

Close to it, yeah. Danish all 5's and 6's, Guerrero 6's and 7's with one 5.

Just for fun, prospects who had the widest range of opinions among the writers: Zangari, Clark, Alvarez, Peter, Lowry, Perez, Narvaez. Relatively anyway.

Also, players who had just one of the seven writers in the discussion actually place them in their T30: Wheeler, Heidenreich, Cherry, Alfaro, Comito, Reyes, Goldberg, Leyer, Delmonico. That's how messy the back end was.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
Close to it, yeah. Danish all 5's and 6's, Guerrero 6's and 7's with one 5.

Just for fun, prospects who had the widest range of opinions among the writers: Zangari, Clark, Alvarez, Peter, Lowry, Perez, Narvaez. Relatively anyway.

Also, players who had just one of the seven writers in the discussion actually place them in their T30: Wheeler, Heidenreich, Cherry, Alfaro, Comito, Reyes, Goldberg, Leyer, Delmonico. That's how messy the back end was.

I take ir raBBit put Brain Clark in the top 10?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)

He has improved the K rate every year and it was only 20.7% K/PA in 2015. I was more concerned when it was at 25.9% in Kannapolis.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
He has improved the K rate every year and it was only 20.7% K/PA in 2015. I was more concerned when it was at 25.9% in Kannapolis.

that is the one thing that i am wondering.

can the sox and the lineup deal with his hitting and not walking????

for the minors, he is developing..... i just have to wait until his stats starts coming in in the minor league games.

don't get me wrong, he is an exciting player and there is a reason why some teams have inquired about him in any possible trade request.... per cincy rumor,

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
that is the one thing that i am wondering.

can the sox and the lineup deal with his hitting and not walking????

for the minors, he is developing..... i just have to wait until his stats starts coming in in the minor league games.

don't get me wrong, he is an exciting player and there is a reason why some teams have inquired about him in any possible trade request.... per cincy rumor,

His not walking is less of a concern in the pure sense - if he hits enough, not walking isn't a big killer. The problem is what it indicates about him as a hitter, and that is backed up by our in-person looks. He's too free-swinging, wants to go after too many pitches, expands the zone. He's susceptible to good offspeed stuff. He needs to learn patience not primarily to walk more (though that's a pleasant side effect), but in order to force pitchers to come to him.

I think AAA is going to be a key test for him. People seem to assume he'll just make a quick touch and go in Charlotte then be in Chicago, but that's a mistake. AAA pitchers are not much more talented than AA ones, but they are going to be a lot more refined, mature, experienced and able to exploit glaring weaknesses. Anderson is able to cover his weakness in this area because he has such quick hands and strong bat to ball skills, but that only goes so far and will probably be exposed (hopefully for only a brief period) in AAA.