Ian Desmond Signs 1 Year 8M Deal with Rangers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Nice value signing for the Rangers. If Desmond has a good year in 2016, they'll get that pick back in the following year's draft. I'm ok with the Sox passing on this deal, but this makes it even more important to land a guy like Austin Jackson at bare minimum.

I see the price tag, I get a little jealous. If he shows he can play the OF with any competence, and you never know, Alex Gordon was an infielder made outfielder that turned to gold, Hanley Ramirez not so much, he is probably a steal. I think it is worth the $8 million and draft pick to find out unless you have something else, which seems like they do. But every passing day makes you wonder. They will get somebody. I just hope they get the guy who is their target now. It may be they have to wait for roster shakedowns and wind up getting a less talented player.

LOL! Love the crowd who wants to sign someone just to sign someone....

LOL!! Love finishing under .500 year after year...

Indeed, as another FA passes us this year (Desmond at an absolutely great price, also would have been able to help at two major holes, OF and SS) we are looking like the worst case scenario after the trade of Frazier.

After the trade of Frazier many stated that they must go all in now. If they trade for Frazier and do nothing more, than we are in the worst possible case scenario. Hopelessly bad.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
These sort of comments are baffling. It's clearly the draft pick, not the $8 million.

What is baffling is actually thinking that the White Sox will pick anybody of any value with that draft pick. Especially that incompetent pack of clowns. Other than a pitcher, who is the last position player that we picked that was of any value to the organization? They acted as if they were going all in when they acquired Frazier and Lawrie. Then, they backed out and failed. The 2016 White Sox are partially in and will once again achieve the same results.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
This is more baffling.

No sir. Other than pitchers, they don't know how to draft position players...period. Don't fool yourself, they don't. Thus, unless another pitcher miraculously falls into their lap with that pick, it is meaningless. Last time I checked, we seem pretty well set with pitching in the majors and in the farm. We need position players. Desmond would have helped us, no doubt about it.

The fact of the matter is, this organization has absolutely no direction. It is very frustrating as a fan.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
No sir. Other than pitchers, they don't know how to draft position players...period. Don't fool yourself, they don't. Thus, unless another pitcher miraculously falls into their lap with that pick, it is meaningless. Last time I checked, we seem pretty well set with pitching in the majors and in the farm. We need position players. Desmond would have helped us, no doubt about it.

The fact of the matter is, this organization has absolutely no direction. It is very frustrating as a fan.

They have actually drafted a few position players that are in their system currently that many are high on. I don't want to ruin your narrative though.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)

no offense here.

but this draft is deep, really deep with quality pitchers and if the sox keeps that comp pick, they may pick 2 pitchers of excellent upside.

now with ref to the farm, i see adams, guerrero , leyer for sure SP's, the undecided fulmer, lowry. so as a baseball expert once said, you can never have too many pitchers.

the real question mark, beck, ej and danish.

now in the draft, i mean the sp's i am talking about are front end type pitchers.

Ian Desmond > Injured Latos, last legs Rollins

We'll find out soon enough who was right. And, yet another AL team has improved their positioning. We have the injury-prone nature of Josh Hamilton to thank for this one.

Not too late for Jackson, but since he just turned down $5-6 million and Boras is his agent...

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rang...s-josh-hamilton

For what it's worth, Desmond will play LF for the Rangers. That configuration for the Sox probably pushes Cabrera to RF and Garcia off the field.

The last paragraph is the key point. Fowler and Desmond will be playing with renewed determination to secure a big payday after missing out this year. How will Avi respond? From another perspective, the real cost of Desmond is only $6 million because they're saving $2 million on the draft pick and are 100% in win now mode with the Angels leaving an opening by whiffing on the offseason.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
So how have the last few players worked out for us that we got from the nationals. Plus its only a one year contract, you lose a pick and are hoping he can adjust to a new league and new position. Appears i am in the minority but i am glad we didnt offer the one year deal to him.

We could have signed him to play short though. That position isn't set in stone. And I bet if he were still a free a couple weeks from now and Saladino and Rollins were both doing terrible, we'd consider him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
We could have signed him to play short though. That position isn't set in stone. And I bet if he were still a free a couple weeks from now and Saladino and Rollins were both doing terrible, we'd consider him.

Desmond or the 27th pick, Latos, and Rollins...

Pretty even but I think I'd side with the route we ended up taking and still have faith that we'll be adding another OF bat vi trade.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
So how have the last few players worked out for us that we got from the nationals. Plus its only a one year contract, you lose a pick and are hoping he can adjust to a new league and new position. Appears i am in the minority but i am glad we didnt offer the one year deal to him.

We should only trade for DBacks' players because of Eaton and Quentin, by that argument.

The other factor is the need for that superutility type of player who can fill in all over the place like a Zobrist. It's hard to say Rollins/Saladino, Garcia and LaRoche are all foolproof plans for the coming season at those three positions, and Lawrie has been injury-prone as well.

If the Sox are so tight with finances, sell it to the fans as only a $6 million impact on finances, saving that $2 million and more than likely getting it back again next year.

Overall, I'd still take Desmond over the combination of Latos and Rollins because we just don't know how Latos' knee is going to hold up. If someone could guarantee 25+ starts from Latos at a sub 4.75 ERA, then my argument starts to become much more debatable.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)

Pretty even but I think I'd side with the route we ended up taking and still have faith that we'll be adding another OF bat vi trade.

some may say i am backtracking here, but i love the draft and the minor league aspect of baseball. with that said, this draft is really deep with pitchers. i would have hated giving up that comp pick. following the ncaa now until it ends is going to be fun.

but i would have understand if it was done.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)

Who do we realistically have to trade outside our top three that will net an impact bat?

Sure, there are obviously many Jay Bruce, Carlos Gonzalez and Ethier types out there...and problem is they all bump the payroll up $12-18 million.

About the only real 3-4 war "younger" impact bat on the market was the Marlins' Ozuna...and that acquisition isn't going to come from Tier B/C prospects cobbled together.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Who do we realistically have to trade outside our top three that will net an impact bat?

Sure, there are obviously many Jay Bruce, Carlos Gonzalez and Ethier types out there...and problem is they all bump the payroll up $12-18 million.

About the only real 3-4 war "younger" impact bat on the market was the Marlins' Ozuna...and that acquisition isn't going to come from Tier B/C prospects cobbled together.

Yeah we don't have much depth to trade for a good bat so if rather see them see them sign Jackson to play center moving Eaton to left.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)

i am not really like to trade with cincy, they will ask for the world as a rtn.

but the trade market, i will admit i am or will go back on my, everything for the last piece of the puzzle. i just can't see giving up a ton for a trade price.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)
How many teams have traded prospects this offseason for 3-4 WAR players?

good question... it seems as a lot of teams are wanting to over charge, look at the atl-arz trade.

the fa market is the route to go.