2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
They don't know what they are committing to, anyway. I just don't think Arrieta is going to be second half 2015 ever again. If he were that good and you have the Cubs budget, you sign the Ace pitcher and deal with the bad years. The Cubs are at least skeptical he can repeat his success in 2016.

Well of course he's not going to repeat the lowest ERA in any half of baseball in history, that's a pretty safe assumption. He doesn't have to repeat 2015, a 2.25-2.50 ERA would still put him among the very top starters in baseball. I don't think it's skepticism, if Arrieta was willing to do a 4-year extension I think the Cubs would be all over that. 7 years is just too much.

Edited by OmarComing25

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
Carrie Muskat ‏@CarrieMuskat 25m25 minutes ago

#Cubs had a mime lead stretch

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/712313132283105281

Feel free to shoot me in the face now.

The only reason why this bulls*** is cute is because they were good last year. If things dont work out as they think they are going to this s*** doesnt fly. So we shall see.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Of course......but this type of stuff worked last year, so why stop?

This doesn't bother me in the least. It's dumb, but very innocent. And it's also ironic Sox fans would take any issue with this. Apparently, instead of having a mime conduct stretch drills or seeing a magician do magic tricks, the Sox players are conducting a witch hunt to find a snitch, and blasting their team president.

Give me the magician.

Two behaviors can be different, and still both be stupid.

This doesn't bother me in the least. It's dumb, but very innocent. And it's also ironic Sox fans would take any issue with this. Apparently, instead of having a mime conduct stretch drills or seeing a magician do magic tricks, the Sox players are conducting a witch hunt to find a snitch, and blasting their team president.

Give me the magician.

IMO they could do whatever the hell they want. I will still make fun of how dumb I think it is though. Plus I am of the mind that they won games last year because of their talent not because they had a magician juggle their balls before the game.

Give me the magician.

I think there is some resentment because it doesn't matter what they do lately, it gets good publicity, even when it shouldn't, and the White Sox are the opposite.

Maddon could hold a Trump fundraiser, and Cub fans would laud his passion.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
IMO they could do whatever the hell they want. I will still make fun of how dumb I think it is though. Plus I am of the mind that they won games last year because of their talent not because they had a magician juggle their balls before the game.

That last line literally made me LOL.

Tony and Rowand44 will be delighted to know that there are literally Cubs in the field at MaddonLand. LOL

I really don't get mad with all their shennanigans it just seems like so much over kill of trying to lighten the mood.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Tony and Rowand44 will be delighted to know that there are literally Cubs in the field at MaddonLand. LOL

I really don't get mad with all their shennanigans it just seems like so much over kill of trying to lighten the mood.

Spring Training is long enough and gets stale enough for stuff like this to happen.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
Haha.

I find it hard to argue with Maddon in the sense that Spring Training is so boring and long (Ventura 100% agreed in an interview), give you players a little different taste of something every day. The magician stuff, the mime, it's stupid, I don't argue that. And I don't think Maddon should be given a ton of praise for doing something like that, but I just don't think it's a big deal at all, and if I was a Cubs fan, I wouldn't mind it.

But as always, it's all about winning. If the Cubs were 81-81 last season and didn't make the playoffs, bringing clowns to the field wouldn't be happening, and it wouldn't go over well.

If I was a player I am sure I would get a kick out of that stuff and not have the same ol' same ol'...I just be hatin. LOL

A lot of people didn't mind and even liked Ozzie constantly shooting his mouth off to the press from '05-'08, but once the shine started to fade a little on that title and the Sox started having more frequent losing seasons people got annoyed with him in a hurry.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
I can promise you if the Cubs disappoint next season, I can already hear someone like Silvy on the radio saying "Alright Joe, enough with all the antics in spring, it's about winning now, cut the crap and lets get to baseball, not baby bears."

If they start out slow this year you will hear it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)

I'm going to bring a baby bear to your work one day for you to hang out with!

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
I was listening to the score yesterday and heard a few cubs fans saying that 95 wins would be disappointing. What the hell do they want? World series ring on a platter before the season starts?

I can see their point. 40% of the NL is not even trying to win. 95 NL wins equals 87 AL wins.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
I was listening to the score yesterday and heard a few cubs fans saying that 95 wins would be disappointing. What the hell do they want? World series ring on a platter before the season starts?

I never get when fans of good teams value a certain number of wins. If it takes 92 wins to win the division, would they still be disappointed? Stupidity.