Carlos Rodon breakout article

OmarComing25

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carlos-rodo...or-already-has/

It’s anecdotal of course, of little value maybe, but when you’re talking to Carlos Rodon these days, you get a different feeling than you might have last year. He’s more… comfortable. He’s not a rookie anymore. “Knowing you belong” is really important, as he put it to me.

But the reason he knows he belongs now is that he had a great second half last year. He agreed that went a long way to calming the nerves. But anyone can have a great half without a major adjustment, only to see things change once again at the whim of the baseball gods.

The good news is that Rodon made two huge adjustments last year that coincided with the start of his run. That suggests it wasn’t luck. That suggests that Rodon has found something that can help him walk fewer batters. And that’s about all that stands between Rodon and a breakout season.

He's one of the few Fangraphs writers who picked the Sox to win the division, and Rodon is a big reason why. Let's hope he's right!

I don't know for certain, but I've gotten the sense that Eno may be a Sox fan. Has always paid special attention the Sox players/prospects and is generally more positive than the general consensus.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
That was a fantastic article, really great insight from Rodon and fun stuff on different things coaches have him try in warmups to help his extension.

Thank you for posting.

I agree, great stuff here.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
I don't know for certain, but I've gotten the sense that Eno may be a Sox fan. Has always paid special attention the Sox players/prospects and is generally more positive than the general consensus.

He's an unashamed Mets fan, but yeah maybe. I mean those are my two teams, too :P

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
I always forget how strong Rodon's lower body is. He really started cruising as the game went on.

I agree. His lower half is very, very strong. If everything clicks, I think he has a higher ceiling than Sale.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
I agree. His lower half is very, very strong. If everything clicks, I think he has a higher ceiling than Sale.

Which would be insane. The Sox have a 90's Braves-like rotation going 1-3 for the next few years. Need to solidify the back end (hopefully Fulmer is as good as advertised to lock down the #4 spot) and with even an average offense and defense they will be competing for the division every year (of course assuming they stay relatively healthy as well).

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)

If he had a higher ceiling than Sale he'd be Clayton Kershaw. I think Rodon is very good too, but there is about a

I said this in another thread; Sale has has a much better fastball and change up than Rodon, and that is unlikely to change. Rodon has a slightly better slider. Sale is and will always be better than Rodon

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)

Yeah, I don't think that is the case. I can't ever give a guy a higher ceiling than Sale until they actually end up being that way. Sale is arguably the 2nd best pitcher in baseball.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
If he had a higher ceiling than Sale he'd be Clayton Kershaw. I think Rodon is very good too, but there is about a

I said this in another thread; Sale has has a much better fastball and change up than Rodon, and that is unlikely to change. Rodon has a slightly better slider. Sale is and will always be better than Rodon

Due to his motion, he will never have the command that Sale has. This will be his primary limitation.