The Jeff Samardzija Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:47 AM)
Jeff is having a heck of a year thus far. Was Coop really the problem here (as some, as well as Coop himself has stated)? It is just disappointing that he did not perform like this for him hometown team. Could have used it last season and definitely this season.

WTF. Jeff is pitching like an ace this year. In fact, this version of Jeff S is just what our staff needs right now. I repeat WTF? Coop is an acquired taste? The two clashed?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 19, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
Jeff is having a heck of a year thus far. Was Coop really the problem here (as some, as well as Coop himself has stated)? It is just disappointing that he did not perform like this for him hometown team. Could have used it last season and definitely this season.

This wasn't that hard to predict. Even with his s***ty ERA last year he was worth almost 3 fWAR and finished 39th among starting pitchers. Split the difference between his career-worst year last year and his career-best year in 2014, add in the discount going back to the NL and pitching half his games in the best pitching park in the majors, and a low 3s ERA seemed like a reasonable prediction.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 20, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
This wasn't that hard to predict. Even with his s***ty ERA last year he was worth almost 3 fWAR and finished 39th among starting pitchers. Split the difference between his career-worst year last year and his career-best year in 2014, add in the discount going back to the NL and pitching half his games in the best pitching park in the majors, and a low 3s ERA seemed like a reasonable prediction.

Yup. I don't see how anyone could be shocked by this.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 20, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)

Exactly. This was easiest call of a bounce back season ever.

Ok, it was the "easiest" call of a bounce back season ever, I get it. I was just expressing how it was too damn bad that he sucked with the White Sox, that's all.. It would have been nice to see him succeed here, even though we seem to have the knack for players to come here and perform below their career norms. If he wouldn't have sucked with the White Sox, there wouldn't have been the need for him to have a "bounce back" season. My Lord, I didn't know that by joining this site that I would be among so many future GM's and Front Office personnel. And when I was reading this board last season, I surely didn't see anybody here say "oh, this is just an off year...he will bounce back next season." The VAST majority of people here kept saying "Shark sucks", "Shark is the most overrated pitcher in baseball", "Shark has had one good season," etc., etc., etc. It is much easier to talk about how easy his bounce back season was to predict after the fact, that is for sure.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 20, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Ok, it was the "easiest" call of a bounce back season ever, I get it. I was just expressing how it was too damn bad that he sucked with the White Sox, that's all.. It would have been nice to see him succeed here, even though we seem to have the knack for players to come here and perform below their career norms. If he wouldn't have sucked with the White Sox, there wouldn't have been the need for him to have a "bounce back" season. My Lord, I didn't know that by joining this site that I would be among so many future GM's and Front Office personnel. And when I was reading this board last season, I surely didn't see anybody here say "oh, this is just an off year...he will bounce back next season." The VAST majority of people here kept saying "Shark sucks", "Shark is the most overrated pitcher in baseball", "Shark has had one good season," etc., etc., etc. It is much easier to talk about how easy his bounce back season was to predict after the fact, that is for sure.

IIRC, he is usually a fast starter and then fades as the year goes on. Lets see how he is doing in August and September before we call this a bounce back season. Maybe he has bounced back from worst starter in the league, but i dont think he will go to one of the best.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 20, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)

I didn't mean for my post to sound snarky, and plenty of other posters thought the same thing before the season started. I just went back to the thread when he signed with the Giants, and here's what I found:

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
His style of pitching fits perfect with the Giants. Pitchers park and great team defense.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
Samardzija is going to revitalize his career going back to the NL. I guarantee it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
I bet Samardzija has an ERA around 3 next season.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Still has good stuff and a durable guy with little mileage on his arm. As long as he stop tipping his pitches he'll be fine. A change of scenery would help too.

I think this could be a good deal for Giants.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
The NL West is so perfect for Shark its comedic. Good pickup for the Giants.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
For them, gambling on his durability, relative lack of miles on his arm, and some good years in 2013 and 2014, is worth it. They'll probably get 1000 innings and three good years...and that's enough for a team like the Giants.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
In that park and division, he will do fine. The only question is could the Giants have gotten similar production for a cheaper pricem

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)
I have a feeling he's going to do pretty well there. There's what 3 pitchers ballparks in that division? He should be fine.

There's a lot of posters here who thought he'd have a bounceback year, in fact I read that whole thread and it was the majority.

How can anyone bet against things working out well for the Giants in even-numbered years?

It's getting to be uncanny.

Cueto and Shark were both disappointments in the AL Central, and look where they are now. Not a shocker.

Edited by caulfield12