NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Kendrick Nunn pleads guilty to battery. He'll get 18 mos. court supervision, 100 hours community service, write apology letter.

IMO, he should be off the team. He may not have any jail time but guilty to battery is still guilty and we shouldn't EVER allow that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 18, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Kendrick Nunn pleads guilty to battery. He'll get 18 mos. court supervision, 100 hours community service, write apology letter.

IMO, he should be off the team. He may not have any jail time but guilty to battery is still guilty and we shouldn't EVER allow that.

Agreed. Though if they're allowing a player back that took a knife to someone's throat, not sure domestic violence is much worse.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 18, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)

He should be, but Groce is desperate to save his job. Personally I thought Black should have been kicked off as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
He should be, but Groce is desperate to save his job. Personally I thought Black should have been kicked off as well.

With JCL in the wings and rebounding a massive issue, Black is definitely more important to Groce's success than Nunn. Both should probably be gone.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 18, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
With JCL in the wings and rebounding a massive issue, Black is definitely more important to Groce's success than Nunn. Both should probably be gone.

Drop Nunn and go get Matthews.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 18, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
Thorne granted his 6th year. The team should be pretty loaded if they're healthy, which I know is a big if.

Finally some positive news.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 18, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Moore to come?

Seems like that's come to a point where something is about to happen with today's rush of articles on him (even though those articles didn't say anything). And we should hear on Abrams any minute now (not that there should be any drama there). And then I would also expect Nunns situation to be cleared up in the next 24 hours.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 18, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Thorne granted his 6th year. The team should be pretty loaded if they're healthy, which I know is a big if.

What about Abrams? Or did I miss it?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 19, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Tate's case dismissed. Good. Seemed like BS from what I've heard.

Illinois must take strong stand vs. domestic violence with Kendrick Nunn penalty

I get the feeling he's going to get off really easy, but I'm feeling uneasy about it overall.

If it weren't for Lovie Smith, my loyalty to Illinois would be strictly academic. I won't say it "breaks my heart", but Illinois basketball makes me far more sick than any win-loss record could indicate.

Edited by Deadpool

DV is a terrible crime, but it's not any worse than pulling a knife and putting it on someone's neck. If Black is still on the team with a suspension, I don't see how Nunn is kicked off the team.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 23, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
DV is a terrible crime, but it's not any worse than pulling a knife and putting it on someone's neck. If Black is still on the team with a suspension, I don't see how Nunn is kicked off the team.

These guys both likely play this year, which is why I am sick about it. I just think about all the good guys who would love to play Illinois basketball and these lowlifes are taking roster spots.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 23, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)

It would be a bad look for the new AD, given this interview:

How are you dealing with the legal problems of three men’s basketball players?

We aren’t happy about it. We’re taking steps so these kinds of situations won’t happen. Leron Black’s case has now been resolved, so John Groce and I will sit down and discuss appropriate steps internally. In terms of the other two, we have to let the legal process run its course, but, if the allegations prove true, there is no place in our athletic program for domestic violence. It is an intolerable offense.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 23, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Eh, the charges weren't true. He plead to a lesser charge. There's wiggle room there to explain why he's suspended v. kicked off the team.

He plead to a lesser charge, that does NOT mean the other charge was untrue.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 23, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
He plead to a lesser charge, that does NOT mean the other charge was untrue.

The truth will never be known. He plead guilty to simple battery, not domestic battery.

edit: in my prior post I meant to say "the charges weren't proven true." Whitman has some technical room to wiggle through if he wants.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 23, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
These guys both likely play this year, which is why I am sick about it. I just think about all the good guys who would love to play Illinois basketball and these lowlifes are taking roster spots.

Almost every Illinois fan I talk to wants Nunn off the team.