Your 2017 Manager

lord chas

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 08:24 PM)
I don't care for the optics of the Sox hiring the Cubs leftovers as manager. At the same time, there would be an interesting story to tell if the Sox hired Renteria as manager, and he managed to not only take the Sox to the playoffs this year, but also got them to surpass the Northsiders in accomplishment. That could be a lot of fun!

Honestly who cares where they come from if they can do the job? The one thing that has been extremely noticeable this year is the different in the defense and positioning. Typically this is a bench coach function.

Guy$, Guy$, Guy$ ...

Money talks. Flash 5 million or 6 million at Leyland and he'll f***ing come back. Do it now. 3 mill for the rest of this season; 2 years 10 million dollar deal to follow. Just for him to turn the organization around.

He will take the money; they all do. If he won't do it, flash a bit more at LaRussa. 4 mill the rest of this season and two years 14 million contract. it's THAT important.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
Guy$, Guy$, Guy$ ...

Money talks. Flash 5 million or 6 million at Leyland and he'll f***ing come back. Do it now. 3 mill for the rest of this season; 2 years 10 million dollar deal to follow. Just for him to turn the organization around.

He will take the money; they all do. If he won't do it, flash a bit more at LaRussa. 4 mill the rest of this season and two years 14 million contract. it's THAT important.

What is with your f***ing boner for Jim Leyland. Stop it already. He's not coming back and he wouldn't even make my top 5 list anyway.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
What is with your f***ing boner for Jim Leyland. Stop it already. He's not coming back and he wouldn't even make my top 5 list anyway.

Isn't Leyland 95 years old?

Wow he is only 71....

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
Guy$, Guy$, Guy$ ...

Sorry both guys are done with the managing game. Not going to happen, you can flash them 10 million. Tony has complete control of the D-backs and is working with his old friend and mentor Roland Hemond. He isn't going anywhere.

Leyland is well into his 70's I think and still has issues with JR over Gene Lamont's firing.

Just not in the cards.

Mark

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 04:20 PM)
NO! That's the problem! "White Sox ties" doth not automatically a great manager make! Stop with that nonsense already.

Look at the Cubs. Just a few years ago they said "no thank you" to one of the greatest Cubs of all time in Ryne Sandberg to be their manager, and instead looked for whom they felt was the best qualified against far more important criteria than simply history with the franchise. That approach eventually landed them Renteria and Maddon.

Now that is a sound approach to operating a MLB franchise. Governing solely from some silly loyalty program is not.

Ozzie worked out well if you remember 2005.

As far as the Ricketts/Ameritrade approach, they got lucky getting Rizzo, Bryant and trading for Arrietta , now it's all about trying to buy a world series. It would be funny if they don't win it with those guys.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)

As far as the Ricketts/Ameritrade approach, they got lucky getting Rizzo, Bryant and trading for Arrietta , now it's all about trying to buy a world series. It would be funny if they don't win it with those guys.

Yes he did, but that's not my point. What I said was just having White Sox ties does not "automatically" qualify you to be manager of the team.

As for the Cubs getting "lucky" to get Rizzo, Bryant and Arrieta, that's just sour grapes from a Sox fan. They run a good baseball operation over there, plain and simple. That wasn't the case for three+ decades when the Tribune Company owned the club, but it is now. They have shrewd baseball men at the top of the house who have done quite well in several trades and in the draft. Give the devil his due - they've put together a team that is now in the throes of achieving sustainable success. Oh for the day when we can make a similar claim for our Sox!

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)

How did he get "lucky"? He hired the arguably the best administrator in all of sports in Theo Epstein who systematically turned their organizational structure, farm system, scouting department, and coaching staff into the best in baseball. It took a few years, but now the Big League product is by far and away the best in the game. That's not getting lucky, I don't think. That's knowing who is good at running a business. I WISH EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE that the Sox had Ricketts and Theo at the helm

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 07:18 AM)
Yes he did, but that's not my point. What I said was just having White Sox ties does not "automatically" qualify you to be manager of the team.

As for the Cubs getting "lucky" to get Rizzo, Bryant and Arrieta, that's just sour grapes from a Sox fan. They run a good baseball operation over there, plain and simple. That wasn't the case for three+ decades when the Tribune Company owned the clubover 100 years, but it *maybe* is now. They have shrewd baseball men at the top of the house who have done quite well in several trades and in the draft. Give the devil his due - they've put together a team that is now in the throes of achieving sustainable success for *1/3rd of a season*. Oh for the day when we can make a similar claim for our Sox!

Fixed.

After a few decades you realize that sustained success isn't that easy to predict. I remember the string of Bear's Super Bowls in the 1980s. I believe they were going to be the dynasty.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
Fixed.

After a few decades you realize that sustained success isn't that easy to predict. I remember the string of Bear's Super Bowls in the 1980s. I believe they were going to be the dynasty.

Don't sell the Cubbies too short. They had an excellent season last year, one that saw them go deep into the playoffs. They are well on their way to accomplishing something our organization has never achieved in over 100+ years, which is making it to the postseason in consecutive seasons. Playoff appearances in consecutive seasons equates to sustainable success, at least in my book. And the way they've built their team by stockpiling the kind of young, elite talent that they have, they've positioned themselves as well as they possibly could to be successful well beyond this season as well.

The games still have to be played, of course, and nothing is ever a given in baseball, but your edits to dilute my original post do not paint an accurate picture of what's transpiring on the north side.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
Don't sell the Cubbies too short. They had an excellent season last year, one that saw them go deep into the playoffs. They are well on their way to accomplishing something our organization has never achieved in over 100+ years, which is making it to the postseason in consecutive seasons. Playoff appearances in consecutive seasons equates to sustainable success, at least in my book. And the way they've built their team by stockpiling the kind of young, elite talent that they have, they've positioned themselves as well as they possibly could to be successful well beyond this season as well.

The games still have to be played, of course, and nothing is ever a given in baseball, but your edits to dilute my original post do not paint an accurate picture of what's transpiring on the north side.

A counter point is that while they did draft and acquire the players you mentioned, most teams don't have the money to buy the pitching and other players they needed. Their 25 man roster has the 4th highest payroll in the MLB. So don't kid yourself into thinking they did it on the cheap with young players. The young players on the team just allowed them to really spend more than anyone else could on the others. Theo can just outpsend almost everyone else just like he did in Boston. This is the key to their sustainable success.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
The Cubs would still be very good without the $45M going to Heyward and Lackey.

how about Lester? Take away him as well and I don't think they are where they are without those two.

Don't get me wrong they have built a really good team and look like they are going to have a good run. But don't fool yourself that it is built solely on drafting good players and "doing it the right way" by not buying players.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
how about Lester? Take away him as well and I don't think they are where they are without those two.

Don't get me wrong they have built a really good team and look like they are going to have a good run. But don't fool yourself that it is built solely on drafting good players and "doing it the right way" by not buying players.

Right. I think the takeaway from the article is yes, Epstein is a legendary organization builder, but he makes his fair share of mistakes, especially when the team is okay throwing serious money at players. I sometimes wonder if Theo would be a better GM in a more cost controlled smaller market in the mold of Beane in Oakland.