What to do at the Trade Deadline

GGajewski18

Trade Deadline  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do at the Trade Deadline?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand Pat

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:21 PM)
Regarding 2018 / 2019...

If they sell Q - they sell Sale as well... Be it this offseason like you mention or not.

If you keep Sale - keep Q as well.

Keeping one or the other would be more of this half assed rebuilding/retooling s***.

Pick a direction and go that way.

I agree but this organization does half ass it. I would be intrigued with Hahn in a full rebuild and no one in his way. Just hope he doesn't make an Avi mistake. My issue with him is his FA signings have sucked minus Melky and Robertson. Duke is pitching better this season but overall hasn't been good.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
Gallo... uh no

Look up his minor league stats... not very impressive.

I said I do t like his high K rate. ~250k per 162 games - don't even have to look that up. He's also averaging about 50 HR in i that same span but I'm done with the boom or bust player.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
Sale to LAD for:

Urias, De Leon, Seager, Holmes, Bellinger, and Pederson.

Q to TEX for:

Profar, Brinson, and Tate

That's what I'm asking for if I'm in Hahn's seat.

That's too much for Sale. I think you may get to pick one of Seager, Urias and Pederson.

That's too little for Q. I try to move him to Boston for Moncada.

I don't remember if it's 2018 or 2019, but one of those years supposedly has a stacked free agent class.

In an ideal world, I'd like the Sox to trade everyone off now, and sign a superstar in 2-3 years when all the guys they'll acquire from these trades now and/or the draft are ready to make an impact at the big league level.

If Hahn plays his cards right, this team could be very good in 2 or 3 years.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
That's too much for Sale. I think you may get to pick one of Seager, Urias and Pederson.

I will never agree with the thought that Sale doesn't return at least a clubs too 4 young guys... As a starting point. You little need to be raping a team in order for them to get Sale.

I agree that Boston is the place to go with Q.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
I don't remember if it's 2018 or 2019, but one of those years supposedly has a stacked free agent class.

In an ideal world, I'd like the Sox to trade everyone off now, and sign a superstar in 2-3 years when all the guys they'll acquire from these trades now and/or the draft are ready to make an impact at the big league level.

If Hahn plays his cards right, this team could be very good in 2 or 3 years.

It's 2018.

Going into this season before I drank the cool-aid, my stance had been that 2016 and likely 2017 were wash years for the Sox... That their real next shot for contending was 2018.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:45 PM)
I will never agree with the thought that Sale doesn't return at least a clubs too 4 young guys... As a starting point. You little need to be raping a team in order for them to get Sale.

Q and Duke to Boston for Benintendi, Devers, Rodriguez, and Kopech

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)

I agree about Sale. But a team is going to have to give up a lot but the Dodgers would be almost ripping up their team just for Sale. No team will do that but I think LAD is where I'd move him to so he can dominate us ever year. Plus I don't want sale in Boston with that fan base ugh lol.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:43 PM)

Well if you can get Boston, Houston, and LA into a bidding war you just might get something similar.

Just so everyone has a clear idea of the value of Quintana, Cole Hamels and Jake Diekman were traded last year for 3 top 100 prospects (Thompson, Williams, and Alfaro), a MLB starting pitcher (Harrison), and a solid young MLB starter (Eickhoff). Since Q has become a full-time starter, he's been worth 2 more fWAR than Hamels and would have an extra years worth of control. That is the baseline for a Q trade. If you want to talk Sale, better be ready to push all your chips into the center of the table. Neither should be or will be cheap and the Sox are in no rush to get rid of either.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
Just so everyone has a clear idea of the value of Quintana, Cole Hamels and Jake Diekman were traded last year for 3 top 100 prospects (Thompson, Williams, and Alfaro), a MLB starting pitcher (Harrison), and a solid young MLB starter (Eickhoff). Since Q has become a full-time starter, he's been worth 2 more fWAR than Hamels and would have an extra years worth of control. That is the baseline for a Q trade. If you want to talk Sale, better be ready to push all your chips into the center of the table. Neither should be or will be cheap and the Sox are in no rush to get rid of either.

+2

I know it's sacrilege to suggest trading Sale but the Sox should at least listen to teams this offseason and see if some team can blow them away with an offer. I think Sale would bring back more than Q and the Sox have Q under contract for one more year than Sale. There's an argument to be made that if the Sox can get a haul for Sale, they can be contending again by no later than the 2018 season. On a personal note, fireball pitchers always scare me too. Sooner or later they seem to get injured and personally Q seems like a safer bet to avoid that type of injury.

If the Sox can get a combo of 5-6 mlb ready players and or high level prospects for Sale, it may solve a lot of their problems.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
I know it's sacrilege to suggest trading Sale but the Sox should at least listen to teams this offseason and see if some team can blow them away with an offer. I think Sale would bring back more than Q and the Sox have Q under contract for one more year than Sale. There's an argument to be made that if the Sox can get a haul for Sale, they can be contending again by no later than the 2018 season. On a personal note, fireball pitchers always scare me too. Sooner or later they seem to get injured and personally Q seems like a safer bet to avoid that type of injury.

If the Sox can get a combo of 5-6 mlb ready players and or high level prospects for Sale, it may solve a lot of their problems.

Firmly aboard yer ship me captain - ARRRRHHHHHG!!!

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)

Fantastic post. That's why Sale's package would be unprecedented?