What to do at the Trade Deadline

GGajewski18

Trade Deadline  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do at the Trade Deadline?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand Pat

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
The Sox also don't get any revenue from other events at the stadium such as concerts. Teams that own the stadium generate a great deal of revenue from these activities.

The ISFA gets a good chunk of revenue from non-baseball events, but a major concert hasn't been held there since 2003. The White Sox have a strict rider prohibiting events interfering with Sox home games.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
Under the (sweetheart lease) deal, the Sox didn't have to pay a fee for use of the stadium until 2008. In 2015, that fee amounted to about $1.6 million.

The Sox also must pay a fee on each ticket sold in excess of 1.93 million in paid attendance. Since 2008, the Sox have paid that fee only in 2010, when games drew 2.2 million fans. However, the Sox were allowed to apply a credit based on the taxes the team paid that year, reducing the ticket fee payment from $455,974 to $95,531.

"The White Sox didn't have that much of an incentive to really pack the place," Sanderson said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-sox-...0521-story.html

Thanks for the new avatar idea.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Rangers

Nomar Mazara

Jurickson Profar

Lewis Brinson

Joey Gallo

Dillon Tate

Dodgers

Yasiel Puig

Austin Barnes

Grant Holmes

Jose De Leon

Red Sox

Benintendi

Swihart

Rafael Devers

Eduardo Rodrgiuez

Henry Owens

Astros

Michael Feliz

AJ Reed

Alex Bregman

Francis Martes

Derek Fisher

I don't think the Red Sox would trade Betts/Bogaerts/Moncada and the Astros won't trade Springer and probably not Bregman either. To me, if the team explored trading Sale/Q (they will look but not make the leap), the Astros with Bregman + or the Rangers are the best options.

I know the Sox won't do any of this, but there are multiple positive situations that could come from any of these teams. Really good stuff.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
You thought I'd trade Q for Joey Gallo? Gallo with a G? Joey Gallo's dead. I'd trade Q for Joey Callo. C-A-L-L-O.

...all right sorry everyone. Carry on.

Never apologize for a My Cousin Vinny reference. Never.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Rangers

Nomar Mazara

Jurickson Profar

Lewis Brinson

Joey Gallo

Dillon Tate

Dodgers

Yasiel Puig

Austin Barnes

Grant Holmes

Jose De Leon

Red Sox

Benintendi

Swihart

Rafael Devers

Eduardo Rodrgiuez

Henry Owens

Astros

Michael Feliz

AJ Reed

Alex Bregman

Francis Martes

Derek Fisher

I don't think the Red Sox would trade Betts/Bogaerts/Moncada and the Astros won't trade Springer and probably not Bregman either. To me, if the team explored trading Sale/Q (they will look but not make the leap), the Astros with Bregman + or the Rangers are the best options.

Agree. But I wouldn't trade sale to Boston or Houston without Moncada or Bregman headlining the deals. Q? That's a different story possibly.

Same goes for LAD and Texas. Need Urias +. Texas would be Mazara+

Sale is way too valuable to not get top prospects.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
The Pirates have 6 guys in the top 100 ( 4 in the top 50 ). Those include 2 pitchers Taillon and Glasnow a C, OF, 1B and 3B. Pirates are looking for starting pitching help preferrably someone under control. Sale is that.

It's a genuinely intriguing matchup. The local papers are talking about adding pitching, Sale fits their demands perfectly, they could part with their catching prospect easily since they just signed Cervelli and you could possibly talk them out of Bell since they have Jaso signed for next year as well.

I'm not sure how set the Pirates are on making a splash - they're hesitant to give up a big package every year it seems and this year they're notably out of the WC right now and McCutcheon has had a down year, they could darn well decide to just ride the year out with the 3 rookies rotating in and out of the rotation and just see how it goes. But I tried to tell myself why it's a bad matchup and wound up convincing myself there's a fit.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
This is probably the likely outcome - it would be surprising, even after another mediocre season, for them to blow it up and start fresh.

Their starting rotation is locked up and should be set (barring injury) for next season - at least the top 4, and if the 5th spot is an open competition, that's not an issue.

The defense has improved, but offensively, as you mentioned, there are holes throughout the lineup.

It's a shame that the offensive pipeline from the minors is non-existent with the possible exception of Tim Anderson.

Are we living in a Twilight Zone episode? This same sentiment has been repeated year after year.....and we're in exactly the same position. So we'll be entering 2017 yet again having to fill offensive holes via trade and the scrap heap. It doesn't work out for us, and looking at our record since 2005 few ideas for roster construction have worked.

You know the one idea we haven't tried? Selling players with high value! If Hahn fails at receiving high value, which many are afraid of, so be it. He'll be embarrassed, then fired and we'll start over. It's a risk I'd be willing to accept. Continuing on this course of mediocrity will not change our fortunes.

And honestly, if the results of the tradeline thread is any indication, a large portion of the fanbase would support selling. Yeah I know....sample size, we're a passionate segment of the fanbase, but assuming the overall result holds true, I don't think many would be upset with selling players like Quintana, Sale if we received good value. Even if it meant conceeding on the season and perhaps the next

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
It may be a technicality but Hawk wasn't fired, he resigned and then later JR apologized for putting him in that position in the first place.

Mark

An announcer to GM, player totally out of professional baseball to manager = ownership is stupid.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Are we living in a Twilight Zone episode? This same sentiment has been repeated year after year.....and we're in exactly the same position. So we'll be entering 2017 yet again having to fill offensive holes via trade and the scrap heap. It doesn't work out for us, and looking at our record since 2005 few ideas for roster construction have worked.

You know the one idea we haven't tried? Selling players with high value! If Hahn fails at receiving high value, which many are afraid of, so be it. He'll be embarrassed, then fired and we'll start over. It's a risk I'd be willing to accept. Continuing on this course of mediocrity will not change our fortunes.

And honestly, if the results of the tradeline thread is any indication, a large portion of the fanbase would support selling. Yeah I know....sample size, we're a passionate segment of the fanbase, but assuming the overall result holds true, I don't think many would be upset with selling players like Quintana, Sale if we received good value. Even if it meant conceeding on the season and perhaps the next

A very very scientific espn1000 tweet on what the sox should do saw 80% say blow it up.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)

That might be true, however look at this roster. Just take a giant step back and lose all Sox ties to it. Then ask this question - can this team win a WS?

For you to answer yes to that question, then you keep going and try to acquire pieces. If no, then you try retool.

Here's the first thing - although we are all fans and love to dream, trading something like Sale during the season isn't happening. He just won't be the first player moved, they lose all leverage on all other players like this. You move someone like a Robertson when you have internal answers in Fulmer and Burdi and Jones in the pipeline. That's the smart move.

But take that line away for a second - the FO sees this as such:

Rodon should take a step forward next year (though honestly I was expecting that this year too). Shields should be very serviceable as 4/5. Now you have a solid staff lined up to throw 200IP from 1-5 (just pluggin in Miguel Gonzalez for kicks next year).

With that pitching staff you shouldn't have to rely so much on your bullpen, but even at that, you should have Robertson, Jones, etc. next year. Some of the arms that were injured and then throw in Burdi. Plug maybe a decent FA.

You move to the offense. One can make a case that around the infield diamond we are fine next year. We are fine in Lf/RF. We are not fine at DH. We are not fine at C. We are not fine at CF.

Not saying its possible - but let's say somehow you acquire a Dexter Fowler, Ian Desmond (should have had him this year except were being giant morons), Colby Rasmus or Carlos Gomez (on the cheap, personally don't like him at all)

At Catcher I'm not plugging in anybody - its a terrible position with not much talent out there except LuCroy. Somebody else has a better minors system than us to get him.

At DH get me a Carlos Beltran for a year, or something.

Or maybe you make some trades giving up decent trade chips, but ones you can afford to knowing if it fails, that you are rebuilding anyways, so who cares.

Spencer Adams, or a decent trade chip to get someone like a Volgbach from the Cubs.

What I'm saying is you spend money or trade and you can have a lineup that is decent, pitching that is good and defense that is above average. If that team can get you to the playoffs -- hten you have Sale and Q to lead you. At that point WS is possible. Which is why the FO will keep plugging until the tear down next year if they don't produce.

Think of that lineup

Fowler

Eaton

Abreu

Beltran

Melky

Frazier

Anderson

Lawrie

Avila

Not too shabby. Beltran could probably be overpaid at a 1yr deal with a ok buyout. or 2 years at the most.

Fowler/Desmond would probably take 4/60, but is tradable in a tear down. So you really aren't adding much risk.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
That might be true, however look at this roster. Just take a giant step back and lose all Sox ties to it. Then ask this question - can this team win a WS?

For you to answer yes to that question, then you keep going and try to acquire pieces. If no, then you try retool.

Here's the first thing - although we are all fans and love to dream, trading something like Sale during the season isn't happening. He just won't be the first player moved, they lose all leverage on all other players like this. You move someone like a Robertson when you have internal answers in Fulmer and Burdi and Jones in the pipeline. That's the smart move.

Rodon should take a step forward next year (though honestly I was expecting that this year too). Shields should be very serviceable as 4/5. Now you have a solid staff lined up to throw 200IP from 1-5 (just pluggin in Miguel Gonzalez for kicks next year).

With that pitching staff you shouldn't have to rely so much on your bullpen, but even at that, you should have Robertson, Jones, etc. next year. Some of the arms that were injured and then throw in Burdi. Plug maybe a decent FA.

You move to the offense. One can make a case that around the infield diamond we are fine next year. We are fine in Lf/RF. We are not fine at DH. We are not fine at C. We are not fine at CF.

Not saying its possible - but let's say somehow you acquire a Dexter Fowler, Ian Desmond (should have had him this year except were being giant morons), Colby Rasmus or Carlos Gomez (on the cheap, personally don't like him at all)

At Catcher I'm not plugging in anybody - its a terrible position with not much talent out there except LuCroy. Somebody else has a better minors system than us to get him.

Or maybe you make some trades giving up decent trade chips, but ones you can afford to knowing if it fails, that you are rebuilding anyways, so who cares.

Spencer Adams, or a decent trade chip to get someone like a Volgbach from the Cubs.

What I'm saying is you spend money or trade and you can have a lineup that is decent, pitching that is good and defense that is above average. If that team can get you to the playoffs -- hten you have Sale and Q to lead you. At that point WS is possible. Which is why the FO will keep plugging until the tear down next year if they don't produce.

Think of that lineup

Fowler

Eaton

Abreu

Beltran

Melky

Frazier

Anderson

Lawrie

Avila

Not too shabby. Beltran could probably be overpaid at a 1yr deal with a ok buyout. or 2 years at the most.

Fowler/Desmond would probably take 4/60, but is tradable in a tear down. So you really aren't adding much risk.

If they decide that they are keeping this intact and retooling for next year. I want to see Edwin Encarncion, Ian Desmond, and Jason Castro brought in. Bring Collins and Engel up as soon as the bats look like they can play at the major league level.

They need to be willing to sell anyone for the right price. They don't need to put a "for sale" sign out, they don't need to force things, but they need to be aware of opportunities and show some finesse. i.e. precisely the approach that Williams and Hahn never take.

Really, JR needs to clean out hi front office. 2 playoff appearances in 15 seasons....we've seen enough off this regime.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
They need to be willing to sell anyone for the right price. They don't need to put a "for sale" sign out, they don't need to force things, but they need to be aware of opportunities and show some finesse. i.e. precisely the approach that Williams and Hahn never take.

Really, JR needs to clean out hi front office. 2 playoff appearances in 15 seasons....we've seen enough off this regime.

6 in 36.

I can't remember a player of Sale's caliber being made available in quite sometime. When you consider his status on the field, his ridiculous contract and his age, he might be untradable but with that being said if the Sox were going to trade him they would need to get something better than what the Indians got for Bartolo Colon, something totally ridiculous.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)

Think of that lineup

Fowler

Eaton

Abreu

Beltran

Melky

Frazier

Anderson

Lawrie

Avila

Of course the big question would be, would the players acquired actually produce? Or would they be the latest in a string of acquisitions that as soon as they put the Sox uniform on fall on their faces.

Mark

Dodgers are interested in Longoria so why not Frazier ? They have these kids named Thompson and Montas....

Seriously why not ? Puig is available supposedly.. Would anyone do Frazier for Puig straight up ? Not sure I would since Puig has been trending down and is a big head case.

Dodgers have 2 pitchers in top 20 Urias and DeLeon and another at 53 in Holmes, Montas at 83, Cody Bellinger 1B/OF 89, Alex Verdugo OF 90 , Yusniel Diaz OF 98.