Charlie Tilson Being Called Up

shysocks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
His defense looked pretty suspect.. Maybe nerves or not knowing the park..

I saw him get two opportunities - one really bad read on his first attempt and then the injury attempt.

Hard to say much.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
I saw him get two opportunities - one really bad read on his first attempt and then the injury attempt.

Hard to say much.

Yes. The first one was pretty weak. The second one, he hit the ground when his hammy gave so it looked like an ill advised dive, but it wasn't. So hard to tell. He may have made a nice play if he didn't get hurt.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
Yes. The first one was pretty weak. The second one, he hit the ground when his hammy gave so it looked like an ill advised dive, but it wasn't. So hard to tell. He may have made a nice play if he didn't get hurt.

Let's not forget that's he's never played CF in comerica before and it's not a normal CF anyways.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Let's not forget that's he's never played CF in comerica before and it's not a normal CF anyways.

That doesn't matter, he was chasing the ball. He pulled up on the first one and he wasn't at the warning track yet. It's pretty obvious if you are still on grass you have some room to run. And he needs to check that all out before the game. I bet he would be the first to tell you he screwed up the first one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
That doesn't matter, he was chasing the ball. He pulled up on the first one and he wasn't at the warning track yet. It's pretty obvious if you are still on grass you have some room to run. And he needs to check that all out before the game. I bet he would be the first to tell you he screwed up the first one.

The first one, as in the first botched one?

Actually, he looked good on his very first chance. Got back easily and with the instincts of a career CF'er on a long drive to center (VMart, I think).

Played CF myself in my own goofy baseball history, but the relevance is that I tend to watch CF'ers very closely. He looked good on the first play. He was definitely "spooked" on the second one -- likely because warning track or not, thousands of plays out there don't quite prepare you for being over 400 feet away without being right on top of a wall (I'm sure he'd make no excuse -- just facts). And the third play was a scary looking injury (looked horrible as it happened and he reacted as if there was major structural damage) that made what actually happened on the play itself irrelevant.

Jury is out for me on Tilson. Based on reports, coming up through the Cardinals system, and my own eyeballs, I'd wager that he's speedy but adequate as his floor, and speedy and good (but not great) as his ceiling.

Way too early to judge his hitting. Fast hands on his first hit though. That's good. But all that might mean that he'll get the Tim Anderson dose of breaking slop in his second time around.