2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our country has just elected a racist, sexist, homophobic and xenophobic reality tv star as the next president of the United States. Over night the greatest, most powerful nation in the world has become a laughing stock. To anyone out there that is anything other than a straight, white, able bodied, non immigrant, Christian male, my heart goes out to you. This could be a tough 4 years for you.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:40 AM)
This is what the Democratic party believed and this is why they lost. The results pretty clearly say that.

The good news is they elected someone who knows more about ISIS than any General, so ISIS will be wiped out quickly. Knows more about taxes than anyone in the history of the world, so no one will have to pay taxes. People who are on Obamacare will have that replaced with something terrific. We all will be winning so much we will get sick of winning. I fell asleep last night but awoke to his speech where he told everyone all their dreams would come true.

What's going to happen when all these rurals with 3 teeth and a front seat of a '75 Chevy on their front porch, lives don't change like they think? I really believe there are millions that think they just won the lottery. They won't be able to blame Obama anymore, but I'm sure they will.

To borrow one of Trump's favorite words, frankly, I don't think a candidate could have tried to lose, would have done as much as what Trump did, to hurt his chances, and have the information that came out. Hillary messed up. The Dems most likely messed up nominating Hillary, because the years and years and years of hating the Clintons because they were successful in the White House, finally paid off for the right. The problem is, they are kind of screwed too. A lot of them don't want this guy around either.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
52% of white women voted for Trump

26% of Latino women voted for Trump

I'll say it again, but women just despise Hillary for some reason

There has been an anti Clinton agenda since 1992. It finally paid off.

As to Latino women, I actually work with one who told me a couple of months ago she was voting for Trump because she loved The Apprentice.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:55 AM)
Take betting advice from brett05. Dude was consistent, stayed in the pocket when the oncoming rush was bearing down, and delivered the TD pass.

Thanks, but it maters not. We need unity and healing

Several of you honestly need to stand back and breathe. I'm surprised reputable posters are questioning how in the world they'll raise their children during his presidency, or predicting some sort of apocalyptic scenario where this country implodes from within. I honestly see a lot of the post Cubs World Series, doom and gloom for our White Sox type of mentality here. Listen, our candidate lost; we need to accept it, stop whining, and learn from our mistakes. Looking back now it's a wonder we all didn't see it coming.

I voted for Clinton because overall I was more in line with her political values and aspirations. However, I'd never consider myself a staunch, vote Democrat blindly down the ballot type of person. There were several points I agreed with Trump, but not enough to make up for his character flaws. What astonished me through all of this is the invincibility of Trump. Nothing could take this man down -- not even his own political party! All the video recordings, comments, soundbites only reinforced his position as an outsider. What I would perceive as a detriment (no political experience, playboy lifestyle, ridiculous comments) the general public viewed as the model for anti-establishment. His opponent? The epitome of the establishment; a continuation of everything as it is with Obama. A woman submerged in politics and incapable of giving a heartfelt smile.

One of Clinton's downfall, as MSF mentioned, was not representing the middle class. Categorizing Trump's voting base as "deplorables" and constantly harping on about how homophobic, xenophobic, racist he is obviously wasn't the right strategy. For her, nothing would have worked because she was a TERRIBLE candidate. It was believed the media shamelessly promoted her, the DNC was rigged, her private server mess, and let's not forget about her 9/11 memorial Zombie walk. it was all just too much for voters to overcome. Sanders voters weren't supportive, Minority voters weren't enthuastic about her, and those undecided either leaned towards Trump or didn't vote

What's really sad is Trump, through all his ridiculousness, energized the Republican voters. He was the creation of every stereotype come to life, and no one took him setiously until it was too late. As if some kid wished upon a star and created him one night 70 years ago for this purpose. We had to rely on Westworld Hillary.....one of the oldest hosts in the park.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

This is because dem voters, the media and most importantly the DNC all tried to force a candidate that simply couldnt be president. The DNC went to so many levels to try and cheat and rig this election and people wanted to just act like it was ok. The Clintons are the most corrupt people on the planet and anyone who supported Hillary got exactly what they deserve.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:49 AM)
By electing a candidate so full of hate.

So was Hillary.

S0 was 95% of the posts the last 24 hours in this thread.

Really we need to unify behind common issues and start getting over our hatred.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
Clinton won the popular vote. (dump)the electoral college forever.

That would be a worse system.

First off we are a united nation of states.

Secondly if you go to popular vote you have only three or four areas of the nation determining everything (California, Florida, New York) which if you thought the limited campaign stops was bad, this would be way worse.

I know it's corny to bring up your kids when you talk about politics, but I told my son this morning about the election after he got dressed for school and the kid broke out into tears. That really caught me off guard. I'll have you know that neither me nor my wife talks to him about politics, he just had a bad feeling from the hostile vibe he saw from Trump, these are his own feelings. Now he's scared because he thinks people are going to be ugly and hate each other. I'm not naive, I never thought I'd be able to shield him from that, in fact I was really trying to do the opposite.

I am not a person who cries often unless someone dies but when he cried, I started to cry too. I wasn't really ready for his reaction and I didn't know what to say to him. I just said "come on buddy, give me a hug, you're gonna be ok." I'm gonna be fine, I'm a hardened combat veteran, but that was soul-crushing. That broke my spirit and there's no fight in me right now.

I guess if there's a silver lining to that, it's that the lessons I try to push on my son about treating other people as equals, with respect, dignity, compassion, empathy, etc. are sinking in.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:58 AM)
I don't know brett but maybe he just felt like it was time to roll the dice with trump than to elect hillary.

I'm not a racist. I don't see race really at all.

I went with Trump because of the Supreme Court.

I'll be happy to impeach Trump if things deserve it.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
That would be a worse system.

First off we are a united nation of states.

Secondly if you go to popular vote you have only three or four areas of the nation determining everything (California, Florida, New York) which if you thought the limited campaign stops was bad, this would be way worse.

Florida and the Rust Belt (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) were the only states that mattered in this election. How is the electoral college different than a popular vote then?

In a true popular vote, a Republican vote in Manhattan matters the same as a Democrat vote in Alabama. More importantly, elections would swing on national issues rather than on regional issues.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
Florida and the Rust Belt (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) were the only states that mattered in this election. How is the electoral college different than a popular vote then?

In a true popular vote, a Republican vote in Manhattan matters the same as a Democrat vote in Alabama. More importantly, elections would swing on national issues rather than on regional issues.

Television would love it. It would all depend on California.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)

Again you can't do it. It's the United States, not the United State. That s is big and without it you are in a much worse spot.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:34 AM)
I'd bet a lot that none of this changes. You're not getting more gun restrictions on a federal level but you weren't going to get that anyway.

People need to breath. This is exactly how Republicans thought about Obama. He didn't destroy the country/world.

Exactly, even with a majority Trump will not just breeze his way through legislation.

I understand it sucks losing a game played every four years and for one day, but let's not pack our bags for Canada just yet. We'll get through it

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
Exactly, even with a majority Trump will not just breeze his way through legislation.

I understand it sucks losing a game played every four years and for one day, but let's not pack our bags for Canada just yet. We'll get through it

We all will. We survived the last 8 years we will survive the next 4

Rather than having a liberal supreme court for the first time in decades, unprecedented republican obstructionism is now being rewarded. That will be felt for decades.

The aca will be gutted, throwing tens of millions off of health insurance.

Environmental regulations will be gutted and we're guaranteed to do nothing on global warming.

Zero progress will be made on restoring the voting rights act.

Abortion rights will be gutted.

Public sector unions will be gutted.

Edited by StrangeSox

I don't know, Trump seems to have a few screws loose, but that seems to be what voters want. Republicans have control of the Senate and Congress. Politicians like to get re-elected so they tend to go with what they think will get them re-elected.

The reason Obama was scary to some is not anywhere near why Trump is scary to some.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
We all will. We survived the last 8 years we will survive the next 4

What were people scared about the last 8 years? Obama's secret Muslim allegiance? Christianity being criminalized? Everyone's guns being taken away?

The fears about Obama were things people made up. The fears about Trump are his actual campaign promises.