Micah Johnson DFA

steveno89

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)
The team that DFA'd him is looking to win the World Series. We are in a place where we should take on a reclamation projects (I honestly think he's one of the best reclamation projects left in the market), playing guys like Sanchez or Leury who has not projections left is not going to help this franchise. If Micah flopped, then more L for us. If he turns it around offensively or defensively, we could get something out of him down the road.

Micah is absolute garbage, period. His horrible 2B defense leaves him without a position and his bat doesn't hit well enough for DH. Sanchez plays plus defense and is a switch hitter, Leaury is a decent defender with plus speed. Micah brings nothing to the table.

The more you look back at trades and signings Hahn has done the more you question why isn't this team better. Or maybe how much control he really he has to build the team to his liking. Would be interesting to see if he was let loose with no rules to spending or trades what he'd come up with.

By no means has Frazier been great and the return for him on the trade market appears to be lower than we thought, but shoot, we traded a guy who was DFA'ed. we traded Thompson -- who although fine in the field and has flashed some potential is probably suited as a fringy 3/4 OF. And Frankie Montas. Who probably has the biggest upside to his career by far. Though being traded by 2 teams in two years does raise at least some eyebrows.

To answer the question of the thread - why not? Bring him back. If he is okay being thrown into the pile heap with Lawrie, Sanchez, Cabrera, etc. then sure. Those guys are all nobodies anyways.

I would take that Frazier trade back in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
I would take that Frazier trade back in a heartbeat.

I know Frazier under-performed last year but you'd rather have a bad AAAA (at best) IF, a oft injured RP and an OF with a bad back and injury issues of his own? No thanks. The Sox sold high on all three of those players, and as the saying goes, it's better to trade a player(s) a year too early rather than a year too late.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
I know Frazier under-performed last year but you'd rather have a AAAA bad IF, a oft injured RP and an OF with a bad back? No thanks. The Sox sold high on all three of those players, and as the saying goes, it's better to trade a player(s) a year too early rather than a year too late.

Thank god I didn't have to waste my time typing that on my phone. Well said.

I know Frazier under-performed last year but you'd rather have a bad AAAA (at best) IF, a oft injured RP and an OF with a bad back and injury issues of his own? No thanks. The Sox sold high on all three of those players, and as the saying goes, it's better to trade a player(s) a year too early rather than a year too late.

Sox are going to be just throwing away AB's in the corner OF on total bums woh are longshots to even prove they are capable of being reserves. Right now Trayce Thompson is a capable fourth OF with potential to be an average starter...he'd be a much better candidate to give 600 PA's to this year than Willy Garcia or Rymer Liriano. Also, Trayce is under control for five more years.

Montas still throws triple digits and would be a fine candidate to get some bullpen innings. I doubt the A's would trade Montas for Frazier straight up right now.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 05:18 PM)
Sox are going to be just throwing away AB's in the corner OF on total bums woh are longshots to even prove they are capable of being reserves. Right now Trayce Thompson is a capable fourth OF with potential to be an average starter...he'd be a much better candidate to give 600 PA's to this year than Willy Garcia or Rymer Liriano. Also, Trayce is under control for five more years.

Montas still throws triple digits and would be a fine candidate to get some bullpen innings. I doubt the White Sox would trade Frazier for Montas straight up right now.

Trayce's back is already going to keep him from beginning ST on time and he missed basically the entire second half of last season due to back issues. To honestly believe at this point he's going to be healthy enough to get 600 PAs next season is pretty out there. Montas throws hard but it doesn't do you any good if you can't stay on the field to throw that hard. And I fixed your last sentence for you too.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
Like who? Please don't say Moncada as he shouldn't be a factor until June or July at the earliest.

sanchez, who is younger, and potentially a very good defender, and Sally. Even if Moncada doesn't show up until July, that's still only 80 games available at 2B.

if you want to invite him to spring fine, but a MLB offer would be insane, and the 40 man is full right now, they'd have to cut someone.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Some.folks just like to hate on everything Chisox

Do you post about anything other than complaining about how Sox fans " hate " on Sox players. The last handful of posts I've seen from you is whining about all the "hate" and yet nobody but you has used the word "hate". This may come as a surprise but criticizing or acknowledging a players warts is not hating.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
Trayce's back is already going to keep him from beginning ST on time and he missed basically the entire second half of last season due to back issues. To honestly believe at this point he's going to be healthy enough to get 600 PAs next season is pretty out there. Montas throws hard but it doesn't do you any good if you can't stay on the field to throw that hard. And I fixed your last sentence for you too.

This pretty much sums it up. Good post.

I'll take a 3B with a lower-than-expected BA any day as long as the defense is good, the OBP is adequate, and there's some power in his bat. I hated all the years of having AAAA-type players at 3B. Sox fans complained incessantly and whined about it all the time asking, "When are we going to have a real third baseman?" Such short memories in these message boards...

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot