How drunk would Harry get?

BamaDoc

Ok, I have watched and followed some of these last spring games and it's going to be a long season. For you youngsters, when I became a Sox fan Harry was broadcasting for the right team. I can remember him dropping beers down to fans bellow the booth and hearing ice rattle in a cooler on a Sunday morning "Mary Frances Veck and friend" appearance. I remember him being plastered with Stone on a Cub's game "Soto spelled backwards is Otos!" So before we all whine about how the season is going and the rebuild not working, How drunk would Harry get broadcasting this seasons games? I will settle for a clever response or a Harry story from other old fans please.

Harry would actually read your name if you gave the guard a note with your name on it, acting like he knew you. he did not do that when broadcasting Cub games, just the Sox years. Hey ... Billy Jones and his buddies are here from Naperville; Kendrick Thomas and his friend Tim Miller are here from McCutty's bar. Pretty cool he'd say you were at the game on the air.

Edited by greg775

Having sat in the CF bleachers many times when Harry was broadcasting from there during Wednesday afternoon home games I can tell you he usually drank a beer an inning. If the game went into extra innings...WATCH OUT! LOL.

He'd always have a full pitcher right there since fans would by him beer and just pour it into the pitcher.

Good times.

Harry and Jimmy were quite a combo as well.

Mark

Yeah, always around the 7th or 8th inning you could tell he was half in the bag. To me these were better times than today's world where everyone is offended by everything. I was just a kid when he was doing games in the 80's but I still understood something was different about him later in the game. It just took me a few more years to fully understand it.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
One thing about Harry. Nobody could sell baseball better than he could. He would compare Kevin Bell and Bucky Dent to Robert Redford and Paul Newman. He'd be doing the same thing with our young prospects.

Of course that was before he came to despise Reinsdorf and Einhorn, and vice-versa.

Harry would go onto find out the hard way what happens in Chicago when you get on the bad side of Jerry & Eddie, aka the "Sunshine Boys", as they gleefully dubbed themselves back then. Yeah, 'ol Harry's career was essentially over once the Sunshine Boys tossed him out to the curb. Who needed Harry and WGN back then, anyway!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 10:24 PM)
Harry would actually read your name if you gave the guard a note with your name on it, acting like he knew you. he did not do that when broadcasting Cub games, just the Sox years. Hey ... Billy Jones and his buddies are here from Naperville; Kendrick Thomas and his friend Tim Miller are here from McCutty's bar. Pretty cool he'd say you were at the game on the air.

Wow did you ever bring back a memory. TOTALLY forgot about that. That was soooo cool that he did that

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 08:39 PM)
One thing about Harry. Nobody could sell baseball better than he could. He would compare Kevin Bell and Bucky Dent to Robert Redford and Paul Newman. He'd be doing the same thing with our young prospects.

Of course that was before he came to despise Reinsdorf and Einhorn, and vice-versa.

Man all of you guys with your posts are bringing back a lot of memories that I forgot about. A far as the prospects issues and their descriptions, one time I laughed my head off and at the same time felt real bad for someone. It was a certain relief pitchers major league debut. I am sure all of his family and friends were watching. He had a real rough outing, not hitting the zone, walking guys etc. Then Harry (half in the bag says out loud in UTTER DISGUST about him) "PABLO TORREALBA....WHERE DO THEY GET THESE GUYS????"

For a rebuilding team, the Sox have very few young players. Anderson is obviously the big one, but Narvaez and May are probably long shots to ever be part of the future core. Saladino is hardly a youngster and the pitching staff other than Covey, who seems like an organizational arm at best, are veterans.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
For a rebuilding team, the Sox have very few young players. Anderson is obviously the big one, but Narvaez and May are probably long shots to ever be part of the future core. Saladino is hardly a youngster and the pitching staff other than Covey, who seems like an organizational arm at best, are veterans.

The organization has long been lacking positional talent. They're kind of stuck with what they have at the Major League level. We're so early in this rebuild that the goal is to have players play well enough to grow their value for potential trades.

On one hand, having some seriously valuable pieces can certainly jumpstart your rebuild. On the other, it feels like we're just so far away from the "competitive" White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)

That's what I've been saying all along. But I'm criticized for "not understanding" the rebuild. I understand this season is a total waste is what I understand.

For anyone who thinks Hawk is bad today, you missed out on what was the absolutely worst announcer on the planet at the end of his career in Harry Carry. I am just old enough to not have caught the glory days that people talk about when he was apparently good, because I never heard or saw it. God he was awful. But since he died he has been apparently canonized.