A Star is Born

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
Two doubles tonight.

Off Kyle Gibson, but that grain of salt is countered by beating up Giles and Martes, too.

Hopefully he can feast on the AL Central 40 man rosters down the stretch and have a full head of steam/confidence going into 2018.

If he makes his career destroying bad pitchers he'll be pretty good.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
If he makes his career destroying bad pitchers he'll be pretty good.

Guys that destroy bad pitchers hit good pitchers too. Good pitchers just have a tendency of getting a lot of guys out, regardless of how good the hitters are.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 02:24 AM)
Moncada's speed and the fact that he plays second base, are two factors that should hold him in good stead. As bad as he has looked, he is seeing a ton of pitches and taking his walks. He is only .25 points from posting a solid .350 OBP. With his speed, that would, at the least, make him a solid lead off hitter.

If he can become a good base stealer, see lot's of pitches and post a good OBP, he might be a Ricky Henderson type player, although of course there was only one Ricky Henderson.

I had originally thought that he was going to be a middle of the order bat, based upon all of the hype. However, even if that doesn't transpire, he could be an important contributor, playing solid defense, as a middle infielder and effective switch hitting lead off hitter, with significant power, at least from the left side.

As is the case with so many players, I'd love to see him choke up, when hitting right handed, to see if he could at least be a good contact hitter, from that side of the plate. In any case, he has to cut down on the strike outs. With his speed, he would probably get a good share of infield hits.

In any case, it's way too early to be overly concerned, and a guy with his tools should be able to ultimately be productive.

I just watched last night's game, on the MLB replay video. Stone commented on Moncada's quick acceleration, and likened it to Ricky Henderson's. So, Stoney and I are thinking the same thing.