A Star is Born

caulfield12

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
Even the walks have stopped. He's one for his last twenty with 10 strike outs and no walks. He's not struggling, he's drowning. Anyone still convinced he'll climb out of this is deluded. You don't have to take the exact opposite point either, but now it's time to seriously consider that Moncada is a complete and total bust. It has gotten so bad that the Buxton comparisons are starting to look generous.

I hope he turns it around, but watching him play leaves almost zero room for encouragement.

Could we could trade him for anything? Is there any value left or should they just outright cut at this point?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Even the walks have stopped. He's one for his last twenty with 10 strike outs and no walks. He's not struggling, he's drowning. Anyone still convinced he'll climb out of this is deluded. You don't have to take the exact opposite point either, but now it's time to seriously consider that Moncada is a complete and total bust. It has gotten so bad that the Buxton comparisons are starting to look generous.

I hope he turns it around, but watching him play leaves almost zero room for encouragement.

Lol. Any hot take over 20 at bats should be totally and utterly ignored.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
Could we could trade him for anything? Is there any value left or should they just outright cut at this point?

Doubt a struggling 22 year old with loud tools is worth much. FU Hahn, for not trading Moncada at the deadline and getting something for him while you could. f***, now we'll never get anything for this pathetic and failed prospect. Makes me wanna stuff my f***ing face with pepperidge farm.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Doubt a struggling 22 year old with loud tools is worth much. FU Hahn, for not trading Moncada at the deadline and getting something for him while you could. f***, now we'll never get anything for this pathetic and failed prospect. Makes me wanna stuff my f***ing face with pepperidge farm.

Don't worry. Delmonico is 10 for his last 22 and on pace to be the next Ted Williams so the Sox should be ok.

You forgot the green font

Whatever you guys are seeing with him I must be missing. There's been a few flashes, mostly on defense, but it's been really bad otherwise. I said I hope he turns it around, but what supports that happening? AAA stats? Prospect hype? Physique?

If it's so preposterous to even entertain the idea that he'll never be what the Sox thought they were getting then explain my glaring oversight. What are you seeing that has you so encouraged?

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
Whatever you guys are seeing with him I must be missing. There's been a few flashes, mostly on defense, but it's been really bad otherwise. I said I hope he turns it around, but what supports that happening? AAA stats? Prospect hype? Physique?

If it's so preposterous to even entertain the idea that he'll never be what the Sox thought they were getting then explain my glaring oversight. What are you seeing that has you so encouraged?

It's not preposterous to entertain the idea that he doesn't become what we hope but you're calling him a bust based off of 20 PA, how does that not seem ridiculous to you?

It's not preposterous to entertain the idea that he doesn't become what we hope but you're calling him a bust based off of 20 PA, how does that not seem ridiculous to you?

Well all I said was it's time to consider that could be a bust and everyone said I had to be trolling. I didn't say anything was certain.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Well all I said was it's time to consider that could be a bust and everyone said I had to be trolling. I didn't say anything was certain.

20 ABs is NOT the time to consider he could be a bust. That is ridiculous to say. He could absolutely bust, but it isn't based on 20 freaking ABs.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)

Dude chill the f*** out. He has ridiculous physical tools and the numbers in the minors to back it up. Does that mean he's going to be the player we all hope? Of course not. But writing him off after a month in the majors is beyond ridiculous.

This is why people think you troll and don't take you serious. This post is beyond idiotic.

After Beckham struggled for the first time I went early to a game before the general public was allowed to enter and was taking pictures with a huge camera lens. The look on his face was akin to a scared, lost, and sad little puppy.

Recently saw Moncada during similar circumstances and he looked focused, poised, and confident.

It is because of this and only this that I firmly believe in Yoan.

I was merely disagreeing with the tone of inevitability that many take when it comes to his struggles. Almost everyone seems more concerned with when he'll figure it out than if he'll ever develop. From what I've seen there is cause for doubt regarding the latter, and it has to do with a lot more than just his last 20 PA.

Aside from maybe 10 individual moments he's looked almost completely hopeless during his MLB career. Have good (even great) players had stretches like this? Yes. Is he definitively a bust? No.

But is there cause for concern? Yes. No doubt about it, he has to get a LOT better. I hope he goes 4/4 with 2 bombs tonight, I hope he makes me look dumb.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
This exact post is why I would like the White Sox to find a way to target guys like Joc Pederson. Dodgers have a glut in the outfield...will probably consider moving Joc and while the Sox don't have anything to offer, I would be all for being a 3rd team and potentially leveraging prospects to facilitate a transaction that worked for all sides.

If people want to think patience, think Joey Gallo, ultimate top prospect, very early call up, saw his stock slip a bit and then re-emerged this year as a great player. He was always really young though and it wasn't that long until he re-emerged, but I'm sure if it were a Sox prospect, we would have went that entire next season talking about how Gallo was a bust.

Absolutely! It's a great time to give those types of players at bats. Although with us, we tend to take on these types of pitchers rather than hitters. Coop projects are common for us, but I'd like to see them go out and land the hitting coach equivalent to Cooper so we can a. Develop our own guys better, and b. Take chances on the hitter projects. Guarantee it pays off big eventually.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
I was merely disagreeing with the tone of inevitability that many take when it comes to his struggles. Almost everyone seems more concerned with when he'll figure it out than if he'll ever develop. From what I've seen there is cause for doubt regarding the latter, and it has to do with a lot more than just his last 20 PA.

Aside from maybe 10 individual moments he's looked almost completely hopeless during his MLB career. Have good (even great) players had stretches like this? Yes. Is he definitively a bust? No.

But is there cause for concern? Yes. No doubt about it, he has to get a LOT better. I hope he goes 4/4 with 2 bombs tonight, I hope he makes me look dumb.

I get it...but think of it this way...the kid is 22, is raw, been up for about a month and already has 10 of those "moments." That's a moment every 3 days--at 22. And he's doing it in a tough part of our schedule--after a thumb injury and a bruised knee. Those injuries linger--even though you see him out there everyday (another good sign that he's not a pansy). I'd probably go as far to say that we haven't seen him at 100% healthy--still out there going oppo on a 98mph Ken Giles pitch.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Dude chill the f*** out. He has ridiculous physical tools and the numbers in the minors to back it up. Does that mean he's going to be the player we all hope? Of course not. But writing him off after a month in the majors is beyond ridiculous.

I agree about the physical tools. I can be critical but I'm convinced he'll be a star. The team blows so badly I don't know why anybody would be concerned about any individual performances. Right now is not any type of audition. The audition comes on Opening Day of whatever season we are planning on contending. Until then, who gives a f*** how any individual does? Moncada is just as huge a prospect now as he was a month ago in the minors. His physical tools make him a dynamic prospect like Rowand said.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:23 PM)
I agree about the physical tools. I can be critical but I'm convinced he'll be a star. The team blows so badly I don't know why anybody would be concerned about any individual performances. Right now is not any type of audition. The audition comes on Opening Day of whatever season we are planning on contending. Until then, who gives a f*** how any individual does? Moncada is just as huge a prospect now as he was a month ago in the minors. His physical tools make him a dynamic prospect like Rowand said.

And progress isn't going to be linear.

Buxton really struggled mightily his first 2-3 call-ups, and finally got it going last year in the final 6 weeks, looked like he was going to come out like gangbusters in 2017.

Then, yet again, he fell flat on his face, and the only thing that saved him was his defensive ability and baserunning. He's been a key cog in the Twins' resurgence into the wild card race in recent weeks, and while it looks like he might be more Carlos Gomez than a future MVP candidate, he's at least become a regular contributor that can be counted upon to a large extent.

If Moncada becomes that 2.5ish player and not a superstar, we're obviously going to have to pick up the WAR somewhere else...though, it would really sting. (The key point is that Buxton starts every year 1-1.5 on defensive prowess/baserunning alone, something Moncada has yet to master, at least the stolen bases part, where Buxton is 21/22.)